Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Somehow I doubt that even if we stay up we would have £300m to blow on signings...

And Tammy is not leaving Chelsea just because they bring in another striker. Batshuayi might since Giroud signed an extension but Tammy wont.

Edited by sne
Typo

I'd be wary of signing too many players from championship clubs and poorer premier league teams, I think if we want to progress we're going to not only have to sign better quality players but also players with experience at playing and succeeding at an higher level, ones that can set an example and set higher standards for the club, not everyone has to meet that criteria of course but it will help if we can bring in a few like that. That said wouldn't mind either of Eze or Benrahama.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's all fair enough, with that little group of four (Lansbury, Jota, Taylor and Elmo) I was thinking more of the club wanting to move them on than them wanting to leave.

The first three are dead weight and I think Elmo might retire if we go down - that might be a bit unfair on him.

Whilst I would happily see Lansbury, Jota, and Taylor leave if we replaced them with better players, I do think they will still be around next season should we go down. If we stay up can't see any of them being in the squad next season just not good enough. 

16 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Chelsea are in talks for Timo Werner, maybe that means that Tammy Abraham might be available? 

Not a chance we will sign Tammy or probably any other English forward any time in the near future.

43 minutes ago, useless said:

I'd be wary of signing too many players from championship clubs and poorer premier league teams, I think if we want to progress we're going to not only have to sign better quality players but also players with experience at playing and succeeding at an higher level, ones that can set an example and set higher standards for the club, not everyone has to meet that criteria of course but it will help if we can bring in a few like that. That said wouldn't mind either of Eze or Benrahama.

Why? What's the difference between looking to sign decent Championship talent against looking in the Belgium league or lower league French sides? Poorer premier league teams? Looking at the table right now aren't that many poorer than us!

I didn't even mention players from Belgium or lower league French sides, I wouldn't want us to make all our signings from those leagues either, just as I wouldn't want us to make all our signings from championship clubs and teams relegated from the premier league, do that and we will be constantly battling relegation. If we want to progress we could do with signing some players who have performed well at the levels at which we aspire to reach.

Edited by useless

11 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Not a chance we will sign Tammy or probably any other English forward any time in the near future.

Tbh we probably wouldn't want to atm. Money would be better appropriated on a cheaper foreign option 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

We would be looking at 60-70 million for Tammy

Wow, that’s a lot of money. I don’t disagree with you,  but that’s a hell of a lot. But he is young, and English and good, so people will pay that.

11 minutes ago, useless said:

I didn't say we should sign players from Belgium or lower league French teams, rather than the championship, I didn't even say we shouldn't sign players from the championship at all, just that we shouldn't sign the majority of our players from there. Also just because a team is doing slightly better than us that doesn't mean we should be signing their players either, if we want to succeed the best way of doing it is by signing players that have succeeded in some way in their career, if we keep just signing championship players or players from clubs that are relegated, or indeed players from leagues like the Belgium league then we will likely find ourselves constantly in relegation battles.

But that's where we have been signing players from. So where in your opinion should we be signing players from if not from the so called poorer Prem teams, Championship, Belgium or lower French leagues? 

I could probably replace 6 out of our last starting 11 with Championship and 'poorer PL' players quite easily and it would improve us unbelievably!

There are plenty of other places we could sign players from, we could sign them Italy, Spain, Holland, Germany, the top flight in France, squad players from teams further up the Premier league table. We're not limited to just Belgium, the championship and the lower French leagues, not even sure why the lower French leagues are even being talked about as can't remember the last time we signed a player from France outside of the Ligue A.

The only way we're signing the better players from teams around us in the premier league is if they go down and we stay up, in which case they will have done poorer than us, although when I said poorer premier league teams I didn't mean it in relation to us but in relation to the division as an whole, we ourselves are also one of the poorer teams. As for us improving unbelievably if we sign six players from teams that have been relegated or from the championship I doubt that, we'd still likely be in a relegation battle whichever six players you come up with from that criteria bearing in mind my point that the only way we're signing the better players from teams around us in the premier league is if they go down and we stay up.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why not? We have to show ambition!

Also have to be realistic and not make the same mistakes as before. I don’t care where a player comes from if they improve us however uninspiring on paper. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Also have to be realistic and not make the same mistakes as before. I don’t care where a player comes from if they improve us however uninspiring on paper. 

I think you are correct, nationality is irrelevant, it is the scout’s and Suso’s jobs to find these players though. It is Smith’s job to find a way to get the best out of them 

• Like 1

Making the same mistakes as before would be signing a bunch of players from inferior leagues in the believe that they will improve us, it's what we did in the summer, and it's what we did when we were relegated. If we stay up we have to show some ambition it's the only way we're going to achieve the owners ambitions for the club. As for Abraham I don't think he will leave Chelsea just yet, maybe when they start spending big again on more and more expensive players and Lampard leaves, leaving him with limited opportunities, and even then there will probably be better positioned clubs that would like to sign him, could see Spurs being interested and probably Wolves and Leicester if they're still doing well if and when he leaves Chelsea.

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Why? What's the difference between looking to sign decent Championship talent against looking in the Belgium league or lower league French sides? Poorer premier league teams? Looking at the table right now aren't that many poorer than us!

Likes of Leicester and Wolves sign first choice players from Monaco who were winning the French league not so long ago and are CL regulars. Everton sign players from Barcelona.

I imagine Newcastle will be aiming to sign players from those type of clubs rather than Reims and Kasimpasa.

Not every transfer is a success wherever you sign players from but generally these clubs are in top half and in contention for europe most seasons while we last didn't fight a relegation battle in top flight in 09/10.

Eventually to be serious force in this league again we need to sign higher calibre players. Remember where likes of Carew and Laursen came from. Of course we can still sign the odd good prospect from championship as has already been said above.

I want us to be as good as Leicester and Wolves are now in 3-4 years time so just think that's a more likely route. If you think differently fair enough.

Edited by VillaChris

In any case signing another 7-8 players would be wrong approach if we stay up. Yes there are plenty of flaws in this team but I really think a commanding CB alongside Mings, a holding midfielder who can lead and read the game and a good standard wide player would get us up to mid table (would need to keep Grealish aswell).

Would still be issues at FB but you can't solve everything in one window.

The aim next season if we're still in premier league must be to have a season where we have no relegation worries whatsoever and perhaps sneak into top half. Then you feel we're slowly building something for the first time since the first O'Neill season where we showed real promise in the last 10 games and took it into the next season.

I can see Julian Weigl wanting time move after the Benfica bus was attacked by their own fans ... Has drifted somewhat since he burst on the scene but was very highly rather a few seasons ago and is only 24... Worth investigating 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, useless said:

I think there are some gems to be found in the Championship & what I like them is that they are used to English football. They are used to the physicality and used to playing on a cold wet windy night in November.

4 hours ago, useless said:

Agreed mate. We could do with 3 quality players to improve the starting 11 and then maybe 1 or 2 of the better players from the so called weaker leagues that don’t have to slot straight into the first 11 and instead have time to adjust to the club and players, a bit like Leicester have done with soyuncu and Justin, they have been given a season to get to know the club and soyuncu stepped up to fill the hole from slab head and Justin will likely do the same should chillwell leave.

• Like 1

I think signing players from the championship is fine, there are players from that divison that are better than what we have, would improve us and have the potential to be very good premier league players, but as well as those we could with adding some with a bit more pedigree, the type where there's no question as to whether they can perform at the highest level because they've already done it, and have some experience of what it takes to have relative success, such players don't have to be megastars either, someone like Nzonzi probably fits the criteria and would have made a big difference to us this season.

• Like 3