Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

The difference between this summer and last summer is that then we had to spend all our money on a new squad, this time we won't need to buy as many players so will have more to spend on individuals. Obviously first we have to stay up which is easier said than done.

18 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

He was injured last summer and we needed to pretty much sign a full squad mate. If we stay up it will (hopefully) be quality this time round over quantity

He only missed the first 2 matches, Boro & Brum in early August, he was fit but was nursed back into games as a precaution, was then ever present, so he would have still done a good job for you, but I think you have missed the boat on him now, as I'm sure it will be a London club he goes to.

There might not even be any London teams interested in him, I know he's been linked to Arsenal and Chelsea but I doubt that, both those teams have fallen behind where they feel they should be so will want more proven players who've performed in the top leagues, you could say the same about Tottenham as well. If we stay up and Brentford aren't promoted, then I think there's a very good chance of us signing Benrahama if we want him.

59 minutes ago, useless said:

The difference between this summer and last summer is that then we had to spend all our money on a new squad, this time we won't need to buy as many players so will have more to spend on individuals. Obviously first we have to stay up which is easier said than done.

You’re right. Rather than £100+m on a new squad, £50m on one or two players and we’d be in a much better place (hypothetically of course) next season.

As much as I'd really like Benrahma, Eze is the championship winger I'd go for, very similar player to Grealish and never seems to go missing, is always involved in games or at least whenever I've seen him, also like Grealish can play on the wings, in midfield or as a No10. Probably wouldn't cost anywhere near as much as either as his contract only has a year left to run, only problem is that he will probably have more teams interested in him.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, useless said:

There might not even be any London teams interested in him, I know he's been linked to Arsenal and Chelsea but I doubt that, both those teams have fallen behind where they feel they should be so will want more proven players who've performed in the top leagues, you could say the same about Tottenham as well. If we stay up and Brentford aren't promoted, then I think there's a very good chance of us signing Benrahama if we want him.

But it's only all paper talk, and probably bears no resemblance to what might or might not happen, but as he and his partner love London, my money is going on Chelsea, if we don't get prompted, Frank Lampard is starting to build a new squad for the future, and like at Derby he is going for younger hungry players, and Benrahama fits the bill and will be affordable for Chelsea.

2 minutes ago, jonjon said:

But it's only all paper talk, and probably bears no resemblance to what might or might not happen, but as he and his partner love London, my money is going on Chelsea, if we don't get prompted, Frank Lampard is starting to build a new squad for the future, and like at Derby he is going for younger hungry players, and Benrahama fits the bill and will be affordable for Chelsea.

Chelsea are already awash with options and he might not get frequent games with them. Still I guess money talks wages wise, they have the money, so they can operate a "buy all the players" transfer policy as well. I can see he might want to stay in London (if he does, I hope it's with yourselves).    

Chelsea are linked with Havertz now plus Werner can play out wide along with Pulisic, Hudson Odoi, Mason Mount. Benrahma wouldnt get much game time. If he moves to a London club he has a large price tag transfer to West Ham written all over him.

I see he will be 25 when next season starts and has had very little top flight action even in France

• Like 1

I suppose they could go for Benrahma but now that they've had their transfer ban lifted I think Chelsea will ditch their young and hungry approach and will start signing big name players again, their ambition will be to get back to being serious contenders for the league title, not even sure if Lampard will last long there now that they can spend again and the expectations will be much more.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, useless said:

As much as I'd really like Benrahma, Eze is the championship winger I'd go for, very similar player to Grealish and never seems to go missing, is always involved in games or at least whenever I've seen him, also like Grealish can play on the wings, in midfield or as a No10. Probably wouldn't cost anywhere near as much as either as his contract only has a year left to run, only problem is that he will probably have more teams interested in him.

Newcastle very interested in Eze according to reports.

I imagine we'll try to get Benrahama for 20m if it's talk of reduced fee as pretty sure they wanted at least 25m last summer. So you could sell Trez for what we paid back to Turkish league and also Jota and that's about half of the fee. Wonder if Brentford fan would actually want Jota back as part of the deal as he was excellent for them.

5 hours ago, John said:

Chelsea are already awash with options and he might not get frequent games with them. Still I guess money talks wages wise, they have the money, so they can operate a "buy all the players" transfer policy as well. I can see he might want to stay in London (if he does, I hope it's with yourselves).    

Can't agree more, it would be the icing on the cake for us, after what has been the most traumatizing time for all of us, we need football to bring back a bit of normality, Nail biting time coming up for us both, you hoping to stay up, us hoping to go up, we both have tricky ones to start with, you Sheff Utd,  us Fulham, Good luck to Villa, hope you survive.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Newcastle very interested in Eze according to reports.

I imagine we'll try to get Benrahama for 20m if it's talk of reduced fee as pretty sure they wanted at least 25m last summer. So you could sell Trez for what we paid back to Turkish league and also Jota and that's about half of the fee. Wonder if Brentford fan would actually want Jota back as part of the deal as he was excellent for them.

The sums quoted were merely wild guesses by the media, nobody knows what prices are paid until company figures are produced, the club know his valuation and do not need to sell as we made a profit of £20 million last season according to this years published figures, we also have made (a reported) £40 million profit on Players from the start of this season, that includes Maupay & Konsa, so we have no need to sell on the cheap, and he would therefore would fetch a good sum of money.

As far as Jota goes, he's history and worth very little money now, plus we don't want him back, and we have better now, times have changed, he was a fantastic player for us who gave us so much enjoyment on and off the pitch, I don't know what they did to him at Brum, but he was never the same again, I think DS signed him thinking he could make him reproduce his Brentford form, that obviously went tits up. 

• Like 1

Connor Goldson, a local from Wolverhampton, is rumoured to be wanting to move closer to home.  Centre back/defender currently at Glasgow Rangers.  

Leeds and West Brom interested in him apparently. Not sure how good he is or how he’s been doing, but I know he’s a tuff tuff b#%^€¥~, so if we went down, could be the bit a grit we need next season.  

On 09/06/2020 at 06:51, useless said:

I wouldn’t rule out rebuilding all over again if we go down though. I think we’d lose Heaton, Mings, Grealish, Luiz, Trezeguet, McGinn and maybe even Targett, Guilbert, Engels, Wesley and Samatta if any top flight teams in Europe come calling.  

If we go down we wouldn't be in for Benrahama anyway, but I agree that if we go down that we will need to make quite a few signings, because we will know our current squad hasn't been good enough for the premier league, so we will need to be signing players that are not only good enough to get us promoted, but also good enough for the premier league, otherwise upon promotion we'd be in exactly the same position as last sumer having to buy virtually an whole new squad, and would face the same problems as this season.

In other words this thing of buying a team to get promoted and then one to keep you in the premier league and yet another to establish in the top half of the premier league, doesn't really work, as well as buying players for now you also have to think ahead as well. Wolves being the most obvious recent example when they were promoted half of their team was already more than good enough for the premier league, same with Newcastle when they were promoted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I wouldn’t rule out rebuilding all over again if we go down though. I think we’d lose Heaton, Mings, Grealish, Luiz, Trezeguet, McGinn and maybe even Targett, Guilbert, Engels, Wesley and Samatta if any top flight teams in Europe come calling.  

That's where our management structure comes in

If we want them to stay and play next season then we have say no and then manage the players or at the very least price them accordingly, no one is paying £20m for Luiz or £40m for mcginn 

I truly believe that suso has built a team that will largely stay together, maybe not happily but that's another thing 

• Like 2