Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, John said:

Over recent days, I've heard talk of several players whose contracts expire at the end of the season. One of these, Lyle Taylor is not playing out Charlton's remaining games. Mario Gotze, Cavani and Willian will be off to new clubs soon.

Jeff Hendrick, Nathaniel Clyne, Adam Lallana and Matthew Longstaff, have yet to agree another contract. Does anyone think we should consider going for any of these four? I wouldn't say no to Gotze myself. :) 

No to Lyle Taylor has massive attitude issues at majority of clubs he has been at.

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Well Rico Henry has been there since 2016, Ollie Watkins and Dalsgaard 2017....probably similar squad turnover to us.

Fair play, did not know that 

Re similar turnover, does it count if the players are shit and we didn't like them? 🤔

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What’s not to like?

I'm referring to a large chunk of the players we have lost/let go over the last few years.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Thanks 1

Difference between Brentord's and our squad turnover is that they lose players because other clubs want them, whereas we have to get rid of players because they're not good enough, can't settle here, or in some cases we can't seem to get the best out of them, meaning that we don't get much money for our players, just looking on transfermarkt and in the last ten years Downing, Barry, Young, Milner and Benteke are the only ones we've sold for £10m plus, Downing and Bentenke being the only ones we sold for £20m or more. If were to put our whole squad up for sale now Grealish, Mings and McGinn would probably be the only ones that we'd get more than £20m for.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, useless said:

Difference between Brentord's and our squad turnover is that they lose players because other clubs want them.

Absolutely. Be so interesting to see how they get on if they get up.

I think they could easily go down first or second season but I'll be surprised if they aren't an established Premier League side in 5/6 years.

19 minutes ago, useless said:

Difference between Brentord's and our squad turnover is that they lose players because other clubs want them, whereas we have to get rid of players because they're not good enough, can't settle here, or in some cases we can't seem to get the best out of them, meaning that we don't get much money for our players, just looking on transfermarkt and in the last ten years Downing, Barry, Young, Milner and Benteke are the only ones we've sold for £10m plus, Downing and Bentenke being the only ones we sold for £20m or more. If were to put our whole squad up for sale now Grealish, Mings and McGinn would probably be the only ones that we'd get more than £20m for.

Exactly what I was trying to say jokingly.

2 hours ago, useless said:

If were to put our whole squad up for sale now Grealish, Mings and McGinn would probably be the only ones that we'd get more than £20m for.

Yes, but we'd get considerably more than £20m for those three!

Some of the others have the potential to become more much valuable than that they might be valued at presently as well if they can become more consistent, which I think might happen next season as we become more of a settled team, whilst hopefully adding some more quality to bring out the unrealized potential in our team.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely. Be so interesting to see how they get on if they get up.

I think they could easily go down first or second season but I'll be surprised if they aren't an established Premier League side in 5/6 years.

I think if we do ever go up we will do a "Bournemouth" and survive for a few seasons using our tried and trusted method of buying/selling that works well at the moment, whether it would work in the Premiership remains to be seen, Wolves & Sheff United seem to have brought & sold wisely and are doing well, But The Premiership is a whole new ball game as Villa are finding out, I was surprised that DS never came in for a couple of our players in the Jan window, paper talk and tittle tattle claimed they wouldn't spend the (press quoted) money we were asking, with hindsight had you have brought them or brought more wisely, you might well have been further up the table and out of danger, who knows?, but I do hope you stay up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

I think if we do ever go up we will do a "Bournemouth" and survive for a few seasons using our tried and trusted method of buying/selling that works well at the moment, whether it would work in the Premiership remains to be seen, Wolves & Sheff United seem to have brought & sold wisely and are doing well, But The Premiership is a whole new ball game as Villa are finding out, I was surprised that DS never came in for a couple of our players in the Jan window, paper talk and tittle tattle claimed they wouldn't spend the (press quoted) money we were asking, with hindsight had you have brought them or brought more wisely, you might well have been further up the table and out of danger, who knows?, but I do hope you stay up. 

Surely we've used up our quota now? People will look at Ollie Watkins and Benrahama but personally if we were going for a player I'd be looking at Pontus Jansson. Surprised when Leeds sold him and seems after a slow start he's playing well for you like he did for them. Think him and Mings would be good combination for us in whatever division and you only signed him for 5m.

Edit: Think that shows how well Brentford do it, sell Konsa for 12m and sign Jansson for half that. Now Konsa may well go on to get England caps in next five years but other things can happen to stop that. We all though Curtis Davies was a brilliant prospect a decade ago but now in his 30s he has 0 england caps and only really looked good at championship level. We sold him for about 3m I think.

Edited by VillaChris

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Surely we've used up our quota now? People will look at Ollie Watkins and Benrahama but personally if we were going for a player I'd be looking at Pontus Jansson. Surprised when Leeds sold him and seems after a slow start he's playing well for you like he did for them. Think him and Mings would be good combination for us in whatever division and you only signed him for 5m.

Edit: Think that shows how well Brentford do it, sell Konsa for 12m and sign Jansson for half that. Now Konsa may well go on to get England caps in next five years but other things can happen to stop that. We all though Curtis Davies was a brilliant prospect a decade ago but now in his 30s he has 0 england caps and only really looked good at championship level. We sold him for about 3m I think.

I think Curtis Davies has had a good career, solid defender, rarely makes mistakes. I think he made the England squad once when he was with us but he didn’t get on the pitch. I thought he was good for us, Birmingham City,  WBA and Hull City in the Premier League. If Konsa goes on to have as good a career as Davies, he’ll have done well, I have very high hopes for Konsa

The fee we paid for Curtis Davies at the time was absolutely outrageous.

£8m-£11m on top of whatever the loan fee was for the previous season. And this was back in 2008.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sne said:

The fee we paid for Curtis Davies at the time was absolutely outrageous.

£8m-£11m on top of whatever the loan fee was for the previous season. And this was back in 2008.

Knight was average but we got him for about 5m and sold him two years later for simiar fee to Bolton so not too bad by our standards.

Beye, Davies, Shorey, Cuellar and Luke Young however cost over 30m and we got about 10% back when they left. Only the last two were really any good and got decent runs in the season and even then that was Carlos at right back when we signed him as a CB and Luke Young played most of his first season at left back once O'Neill realised Shorey was rubbish after his first 5 games.

Edited by VillaChris

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Knight was average but we got him for about 5m and sold him two years later for simiar fee to Bolton so not too bad by our standards.

Beye, Davies, Shorey, Cuellar and Luke Young however cost over 30m and we got about 10% back when they left. Only the last two were really any good and got decent runs in the season and even then that was Carlos at right back when we signed him as a CB and Luke Young played most of his first season at left back once O'Neill realised Shorey was rubbish after his first 5 games.

Dunne amd Warnock left for free as well from that era. We probably got more combined for Clark and Baker than all centre backs MON signed 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yes but remember we sold Gary Cahill to partly sign him. Now he had a fantastic career away from us.

Davies had a similar career to Ridgewell when you think about it.

Cahill wanted first team football, I was gutted to see him go but I bet that he doesn’t regret it now, he’s having a great career

I think that Davies has had a better career than Ridgewell. Ridgewell has never been in an England squad

22 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think Curtis Davies has had a good career, solid defender, rarely makes mistakes. I think he made the England squad once when he was with us but he didn’t get on the pitch. I thought he was good for us, Birmingham City,  WBA and Hull City in the Premier League. If Konsa goes on to have as good a career as Davies, he’ll have done well, I have very high hopes for Konsa

Sorry mate, I disagree. We want Konsa to do much better than Davies. Davies never really pulled up any trees for Villa and after leaving went to lower half prem/championship teams. We want (need) Konsa to fulfil his full potential and not be content as an ok championship CB. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

Sorry mate, I disagree. We want Konsa to do much better than Davies. Davies never really pulled up any trees for Villa and after leaving went to lower half prem/championship teams. We want (need) Konsa to fulfil his full potential and not be content as an ok championship CB. 

I think Konsa will be a top 6 Premier League centre back in the future, I think he has an awful lot of potential as does Smith I think. Davies has had a very solid career for me, maybe not as good as the press and fans of any club thought when he was young but I think he can hold his head high

• Like 1