Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

5 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

The wage structure needs to be altered in order to progress. In that I mean we need to pay bigger wages in order to attract better players. Money spent normally correlates to improved performance. However, it needs to be done smartly - not 'Arry type spending.

he can't weed or wite, it was wosie who made whem signings. 

I shall now refrain from posting until we sign someone as I want my 1000th post to be special 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

The wage structure needs to be altered in order to progress. In that I mean we need to pay bigger wages in order to attract better players. Money spent normally correlates to improved performance. However, it needs to be done smartly - not 'Arry type spending.

Yeah, probably stray away from awarding each player £1m for winning the F.A cup and other performance related bus-accidents...

15 hours ago, nick76 said:

You've certainly came new onto this website with all guns blazing at people but that's your choice, you do remind us of another user whose been here a while, which is highly amusing.

Anyway you may be right but I'd be surprised if a keeper was anything more than 6 month loan.  As for links, I'm guessing we have asked about 100's of people over the last couple of months because if you dont ask you dont know about players value and there maybe a good deal somewhere that wasnt expected and I hope as a club we dont only go after our targets but also pick up opportune buys when quality comes around.  Ramsdale is quality but that maybe an opportune moment and not that we are looking necessarily for a keeper but you have to ask if a quality player is available.  From what I read our interest was only asking the price...I guess if they had said something that they thought was a deal...let's say 10m then something might happen but worth a question.  On the other hand we maybe seriously looking for another keeper.  I'm not convinced we are seriously looking for a keeper and we may just do a Reina type loan at best.

As for other players, whether it's Rashica, Watkins, Eduoard, Benrahma, McKennie, Basil Brush or Benny Hill.....I dont care, i care about positions and quality and for me our forward areas and another centre midfield are our prime concerns for the 4 players to get in.  I just see with some of the names linked being the equivalent level of players we have and we need better, we need quality players into our first XI because we just avoided relegation.  We need more support to Jack and we need, as a club, to take the next step forward.......so give me quality and I will be happy as I dont care about names, I just want quality.

I don't see anything wrong with a poster being confident in his view, that is not to be confused with arrogance.....i like a bit of conviction, but that does not mean an alternative view, should be dismissed out of hand. However, i do understand the annoyance with conviction attached to whimsical rumours and transfers usually are just rumours.....so it does depend on the topic, to have the strong view on

Have a strong view on the type of player, yeah.....but a name is likely to be a rumour, so speculation.

if another poster has an equally strong but different view, that is fine too....thats what debate is all about....we just have to be respectful, debating.

some topics do lend themselves to opinion More than fact, and thats when a bit of tolerance to individual views is required.

i think your third paragraph is spot on.

Edited by TRO

35 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

A lot of the 'big names' West Ham and Everton are getting in, seem to largely come because of huge wages, yet most seem to think they are better than the club and rarely put in the effort. Could be wrong but players who go for 20-50 mil to a non champs league club have their egos stretched. 

Look at players like Moise Kean, Haller, even Richarlison, all massively over rated and rarely deliver.

Even if we sign some big names there is always a chance they will not perform.

Your last line is a clear and present danger......thats why we have to trust in the club.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

A lot of posters talking about a budget.

I suspect we do not have a budget, and that our new owners will provide whatever money is required to fulfil their ambition for the club.

Everything we know about these guys would indicate that they are not here to make up the numbers.

Whilst we might not have a "budget", we surely have FFP, relaxed or not. (Plus Covid).

In the phase of development we are at, blowing 50 mill on one player seems like silly business to me, especially when we need 4 - 6 quality players in different positions in the squad.

I'd much rather spend that money on players which can cover a couple of positions, or just strengthen the team overall. Yes I get the "proven goalscorer" thing, bit goals can be spread around the team if you have enough quality all over.

I would call this "phase 2" in development, where we need to strengthen the squad as a WHOLE, to consolidate and push mid table. (Bare in mind survival not guaranteed, and making a leap to huge wages is a risk).

"Phase 3", next season is when I feel we start "tweaking" and adding 1 - 3 upper echelon players (Fees and wages).

Only way we should blow money like that on one player now is if we are also going to heavily utilise the loan market.

Now if you budget (Or free budget) is 150 mill plus then everything I just typed is probably obsolete.

• Like 4

Tammy will cost a lot but we can loan with obligation to buy. With our recent relationship with Chelsea I don't see that too out of the ordinary. We can even afford to pay a little more in that scenario. This obviously assumes that we go in for him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

A lot of posters talking about a budget.

I suspect we do not have a budget, and that our new owners will provide whatever money is required to fulfil their ambition for the club.

Everything we know about these guys would indicate that they are not here to make up the numbers.

And that's what I think also.

When you have ambitions then Owners will buy the best out there or at least provide the money the people under them need in order to do the job to keep us moving forward.

I do not believe were here to make the numbers up either, I suspect our Owners want to win things with Villa in there life time. Winning things will take considerable funding which they already have shown they are willing to make happen.

If Smith and CO see an opportunity to grab the likes of Tammy at even 50 million if its justified and they can see Tammy aiding in us rising in position in this league, then that should not be overlooked and I highly doubt our Owners would.

It seems Lange does most of his business or likes to in the Bundesliga,the thought of Grabbing some players from there is a lovely thought I think.

If last season our Owners spent 140 mill on players just to make survival a thing, imagine what they will do now that we can make a better position than just survival a thing. If progress is happening our Owners seem like the kind of guys that will throw what they can at the task in order to keep improving the situation. If you take your foot off the throttle for one moment, then it will fail in the premier. Once you start you can't stop because the best clubs do not give way to those clubs who keep chasing them, fear of losing ground in a league that needs regular seasonal money injections and acquiring the best in the business is needed to make a consistent stand every season.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Whilst we might not have a "budget", we surely have FFP, relaxed or not. (Plus Covid).

In the phase of development we are at, blowing 50 mill on one player seems like silly business to me, especially when we need 4 - 6 quality players in different positions in the squad.

I'd much rather spend that money on players which can cover a couple of positions, or just strengthen the team overall. Yes I get the "proven goalscorer" thing, bit goals can be spread around the team if you have enough quality all over.

I would call this "phase 2" in development, where we need to strengthen the squad as a WHOLE, to consolidate and push mid table. (Bare in mind survival not guaranteed, and making a leap to huge wages is a risk).

"Phase 3", next season is when I feel we start "tweaking" and adding 1 - 3 upper echelon players (Fees and wages).

Only way we should blow money like that on one player now is if we are also going to heavily utilise the loan market.

Now if you budget (Or free budget) is 150 mill plus then everything I just typed is probably obsolete.

Agreed, and that makes Watkins look a certainty and maybe Edoaurd.

Watkins will be £20m there or there about, Eddy £30m ish that we could reduce down by offering Samatta on loan and Hourihane on a permanent.

I have a sneaky suspicion that we’ll deploy STs on the wings this season rather than playing two up top, but they’ll be players like Watkins who run their socks off, covering FBs.

I'm not the biggest fan of that but given our lack of goals from STs this season I can see it happening.

Edited by rayk
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, rayk said:

Agreed, and that makes Watkins look a certainty and maybe Edoaurd.

Watkins will be £20m there or there about, Eddy £30m ish that we could reduce down by offering Samatta on loans and Hourihane on a permanent.

I have a sneaky suspicion that we’ll deploy STs on the wings this season rather than playing two up top, but they’ll be players like Watkins who run their socks off, covering FBs.

I'm not the biggest fan of that but given our lack of goals from STs this season I can see it happening.

Yup.

I see more of a flexible 4 - 3 - 3 with "Wide forwards".

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yup.

I see more of a flexible 4 - 3 - 3 with "Wide forwards".

And Jack in the middle of the MF three as an AM.

It was largely terrible as a formation under Lambert (with the exception of Tekkers), but with jack pulling the strings as AM and quality wide forwards I can see it working.

Not my preference, just that I can see it happening.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

And that's what I think also.

When you have ambitions then Owners will buy the best out there or at least provide the money the people under them need in order to do the job to keep us moving forward.

I do not believe were here to make the numbers up either, I suspect our Owners want to win things with Villa in there life time. Winning things will take considerable funding which they already have shown they are willing to make happen.

If Smith and CO see an opportunity to grab the likes of Tammy at even 50 million if its justified and they can see Tammy aiding in us rising in position in this league, then that should not be overlooked and I highly doubt our Owners would.

It seems Lange does most of his business or likes to in the Bundesliga,the thought of Grabbing some players from there is a lovely thought I think.

If last season our Owners spent 140 mill on players just to make survival a thing, imagine what they will do now that we can make a better position than just survival a thing. If progress is happening our Owners seem like the kind of guys that will throw what they can at the task in order to keep improving the situation. If you take your foot off the throttle for one moment, then it will fail in the premier. Once you start you can't stop because the best clubs do not give way to those clubs who keep chasing them, fear of losing ground in a league that needs regular seasonal money injections and acquiring the best in the business is needed to make a consistent stand every season.

I love the sentiment and who knows you maybe right.....but if that were to happen I reckon we’d have been in the transfer market by now.

Random thought but Lange is tremendously successful bringing in the moneyball signings like he did for FC Copenhagen.....and I’m glad Suso has gone as I reckon he’s worse that useless.

But is Lange finding the step up a little hard? Ie having to negotiate £20m - £30m deals rather than £5m - £10m ones.

I mean DS made a big point yesterday about him delaying his family holiday in order to be crystal clear to Lange about the players we want in.

DS has had that holiday now, come back and yet no real movement, which is starting to feel a little odd?

Edited by rayk

12 minutes ago, rayk said:

And Jack in the middle of the MF three as an AM.

It was largely terrible as a formation under Lambert (with the exception of Tekkers), but with jack pulling the strings as AM and quality wide forwards I can see it working.

Not my preference, just that I can see it happening.

Jack in the centre of a midfield 3 while playing 4-3-3? Starting Luiz in goal then?

Just now, Awol said:

Jack in the centre of a midfield 3 while playing 4-3-3? Starting Luiz in goal then?

Well it would be more of a 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-1-3.

And in a 4-3-3, sure Jack can play in the middle of two DCMs (Luiz and McKennie).

2 hours ago, Okonokos said:

However, the best thing about signing Abraham would be that Grealish would be even more likely to stay so I certainly wouldn't be against signing him. I just wouldn't go as high as £50m.

£50m seems like a lot when you consider that we’re likely to have a £100-110m budget. But transfers are often structured nowadays, and simply labelled as ‘a deal worth XYZ’. 

To avoid a ‘£50m’ transfer overly effecting our budget, it would just be structured to be £40m upfront and then another £5m after 5 England apps and 40 Prem games, or something similar, allowing the remaining £10m being taken from next season’s budget.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rayk said:

Well it would be more of a 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-1-3.

And in a 4-3-3, sure Jack can play in the middle of two DCMs (Luiz and McKennie).

The 4-2-3-1 is my preference with the right signings, but Deano’s a big 4-3-3 fan. Who knows if Shakespeare will have an influence in that department. 

How did Leicester set up the season they won the league?  

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Unless we start flinging the cash about we will always be 'making up the numbers'...

Now i'm not comparing us to Chelsea but look at how much money they are spending just to try and keep up with the 'top two'.

Villa have so far to go unless we start spending the cash now; i worry we cannot currently attract the next-level of players!

Of course I hope I am completely wrong; just seems like we are struggling to get our first-choice targets?!

Early days yet in the window. And, of course, we may have to approach the future gradually if we cannot convince next level players at this time. But even slow progress is still progress.

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

£50m seems like a lot when you consider that we’re likely to have a £100-110m budget. But transfers are often structured nowadays, and simply labelled as ‘a deal worth XYZ’. 

To avoid a ‘£50m’ transfer overly effecting our budget, it would just be structured to be £40m upfront and then another £5m after 5 England apps and 40 Prem games, or something similar, allowing the remaining £10m being taken from next season’s budget.

Well that depends if Chelsea (who’d hold all the cards) would agree to that. Given how they know we’re desperate for a STi reckon they’d play hardball.

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

The 4-2-3-1 is my preference with the right signings, but Deano’s a big 4-3-3 fan. Who knows if Shakespeare will have an influence in that department. 

How did Leicester set up the season they won the league?  

Wasn’t it a 4-4-2?