Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

14 minutes ago, rayk said:

Random thought but Lange is tremendously successful bringing in the moneyball signings like he did for FC Copenhagen.....and I’m glad Suso has gone as I reckon he’s worse that useless.

But is Lange finding the step up a little hard? Ie having to negotiate £20m - £30m deals rather than £5m - £10m ones.

I mean DS made a big point yesterday about him delaying his family holiday in order to be crystal clear to Lange about the players we want in.

DS has had that holiday now, come back and yet no real movement, which is starting to feel a little odd?

I think Purslow does the deals. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rayk said:

Well that depends if Chelsea (who’d hold all the cards) would agree to that. Given how they know we’re desperate for a STi reckon they’d play hardball.

Terry isn't managing us yet. 

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, rayk said:

Random thought but Lange is tremendously successful bringing in the moneyball signings like he did for FC Copenhagen.....and I’m glad Suso has gone as I reckon he’s worse that useless.

But is Lange finding the step up a little hard? Ie having to negotiate £20m - £30m deals rather than £5m - £10m ones.

I mean DS made a big point yesterday about him delaying his family holiday in order to be crystal clear to Lange about the players we want in.

DS has had that holiday now, come back and yet no real movement, which is starting to feel a little odd?

Surely Purslow's more likely to be leading the negotiating with Lange advising on the football aspects. Purslow has all the experience we need at doing that.

• Like 2

TBH, I think this window is going to shake out like a big game of chicken...  

• Clubs with money are acting like they don't because of COVID and are trying to stretch their cash as far as they can
  • Clubs without money and actually need to sell are trying to get everything they can for their assets and are hesitant to sell at a COVID discount right now

My prediction is that the last two weeks of the window will be insane...  Clubs without money will cave in and start selling to whoever is interested.  Will be great to see how many bargains are out there to be had by Premier League clubs.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think Purslow does the deals. 

Really? So DS delayed his holiday to be clear to Lange what players he wanted and yet all along he should have been talking to Purslow?

13 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Surely Purslow's more likely to be leading the negotiating with Lange advising on the football aspects. Purslow has all the experience we need at doing that.

I think he’s in the mix from a finance perspective,  but not leading the negotiations. That’s the whole point of the Director of Football role. I mean look at Edouard at Arsenal, or Comolli when he was at Liverpool. It’s their job to do the negotiation, not the CEOs.

5 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

We are being linked in the german press to Conor Noß an irish youth player who plays for munchen gladbach,im presuming its for the u23s

Second Mönchengladbach youth player we've been linked with this summer then.  Got called up to the senior squad last year for a handful of cup games (and I think a Europa League game too) but never made it off the bench, if I recall.  German-born but I think he's been capped at youth-levels for RoI.  Don't envision he'd be making the step up to the first team action quite yet so if there was legs in this, he'd coming to us as one for the future, not now.

30 minutes ago, rayk said:

Really? So DS delayed his holiday to be clear to Lange what players he wanted and yet all along he should have been talking to Purslow?

Well no. 

I think smith and Lange will decide the types of players needed. Lange will find them and purslow will lead negotiations and money. 

I think, as you do in other threads, you're looking for any reason to be negative. Not sure why.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Well no. 

I think smith and Lange will decide the types of players needed. Lange will find them and purslow will lead negotiations and money. 

I think, as you do in other threads, you're looking for any reason to be negative. Not sure why.

Lol, I’m not negative at all, just realistic.

im optimistic over loads of things at Villa. I think you’ve called me out wrongly.

43 minutes ago, rayk said:

I think he’s in the mix from a finance perspective,  but not leading the negotiations. That’s the whole point of the Director of Football role. I mean look at Edouard at Arsenal, or Comolli when he was at Liverpool. It’s their job to do the negotiation, not the CEOs.

Maybe stop doing that?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rayk said:

Lol, I’m not negative at all, just realistic.

im optimistic over loads of things at Villa. I think you’ve called me out wrongly.

You started questioning if the new sporting director, who has only been in the job a few weeks, is finding things too difficult. 

Based on nothing. 

In other threads you demand evidence and legit sources. 

Like i said, it's strange. 

I am getting slightly worried if I am being honest. Sure other clubs haven’t really signed much either but other clubs didn’t literally survive on the last day.. nor do they have a whole new scouting setup and nor do they have a new DOF who hasn’t had experience at this level. Just seems like a lot of change (needed change I must add) which has got me a bit concerned. I’m sure after our first signing it may be clearer but until then it is a bit concerning in my opinion. 

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

I am getting slightly worried if I am being honest. Sure other clubs haven’t really signed much either but other clubs didn’t literally survive on the last day.. nor do they have a whole new scouting setup and nor do they have a new DOF who hasn’t had experience at this level. Just seems like a lot of change (needed change I must add) which has got me a bit concerned. I’m sure after our first signing it may be clearer but until then it is a bit concerning in my opinion. 

It's looking like a weird summer, the market is clearly different and I think everyone is trying to feel it out. We've made big changes at the top of our recruitment tree and people are only just back off holiday. The owners have taken action to improve the recruiting, they will clearly back the manager by giving Purslow the funds to go and try and get players the new recruitment team come up with to meet Smith's needs. For the first time in my adult life (and I'm pretty old) we look to actually be run properly. I think we'll make some progress next season and it will be fine.