Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

37 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

When did championship players start commanding these kind of fees?

Feels like it’s erupted in the past 2 or 3 years for some reason.

Its actually ridiculous when you think about it, second tier players going for £20M+

When rich premier clubs come calling....we should shop, where the odds of players performing in our league are higher.....There are players out there that will raise our profile, we just have to identify them and maybe buy 3 instead of 4/5......but we can't afford many more misses.

Brentford clearly don't want to sell them to us.....unless the fees are inflated.

Edited by TRO

48 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

A big part of the reason is probably the money we spent on Kodjia, McCormack and Hogan. Then a 20 year old Maddison went to Leicester for about £20m and made the step up with ease.

But wouldn't you rather spend 55 million on a couple of excellent players from abroad who would no doubt make the transition. It's an awful lot of money to pay for two players who by my understanding have never played premier football and have been on fire in a league that isnt premier level.

I can see alot commenting in the season (why on earth did we pay 55 million for this rubbish), and many turning around saying we told you so. The problem is it's not a small bit of coinage being sent to Brentford it's over half a ton and they are probably licking there lips and thinking what a clubs of mugs, let's face it they are not worth 55 million. Then if they fail that will be everyone saying they got it wrong and a very big wrong because theres every chance they could be failures as much as they are success signings.

I dont know how you can not be concerned by our club buying three signings and two of them will cost 55 million, if it goes wrong we will be heading to relegation with another season of failed signings.

It's not as if Benrahma and Watkins end up disaster signings we have anyone to pick up the slack either, oh we do it will be Grealish again and we will go one more season as being called the one man army. I really do hope we a smarter than this now and we will not be drawn into paying those crazy prices for two hopefuls, have we not learnt from the past.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Harry Wilson would be great for us I think, he’s just the type of player we need. He has a bit or creativity and is a goal threat from the right flank. I think it’s good that we seem to be doing our business early 

Bournemouth fans think he’s lazy, no thanks!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I've just had a quick look at a Bournemouth forum to see what they think of H.Wilson. Worrying about of concerns about work ethic.

There are too many of these players around and we have attracted a few.

They have some good moments in a game.....but no work ethic.There is a real danger, we need to avoid them.

We already have 3 wingers who just give us moments.

We need players who can stay in the game and be effective....and hunt the ball down.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

But wouldn't you rather spend 55 million on a couple of excellent players from abroad who would no doubt make the transition. It's an awful lot of money to pay for two players who by my understanding have never played premier football and have been on fire in a league that isnt premier level.

I can see alot commenting in the season (why on earth did we pay 55 million for this rubbish), and many turning around saying we told you so. The problem is it's not a small bit of coinage being sent to Brentford it's over half a ton and they are probably kicking there lips and thinking what a clubs on mugs, let's face it they are not worth 55 million. Then if they fail that will be everyone saying they got it wrong and a very big wrong because theres every chance they could be failures as much as they are success signings.

I dont know how you can not be concerned by our club buy three signings and two of them will cost 55 million, if it goes wrong we will be heading to relegation with another season of failed signings.

It's not as if Benrahma and Watkins end up disaster signings we have anyone to pick up the slack either, of we do it will be Grealish again and we will go one more season as being called the one man army. I really do hope we a smarter than this now and we will not be drawn into paying those crazy prices for two hopefuls, have we not learnt from the past.

Yes to the first paragraph, but is there such a thing? Looking at some of the most expensive transfers from overseas in the last year it's a real mixed bag. 

Rodri - £63m

Ndombele - £54m

Pepe - £72m

Bruno - £50m

Haller - £45m

Joelinton - £40m

On Watkins and Benrahma specifically, I believe Benrahma is probably more talented but Watkins physicality and work rate means I'd go for him if it was 1 of the two.

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Seems to be a golden generation of American players coming through.

edit: actually there ain’t that many.

The main ones are McKennie, Pulisic, Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig), and Reyna (Dortmund). A couple other prospects out there like Josh Sargent at Bremen, but these ones seem the most suited to take a big step up. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Bournemouth fans think he’s lazy, no thanks!

There are Boat loads of lazy players around who have magic moments to hood wink us.....we have to seriously steer clear.

We need talent, but workrate too......we have fallen short for too long.

we need players with an appetite for industry as well as natural talent.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

It’s rare that a winger has steel in my opinion 

But it's important that they have footballing ability. Wilson is league one standard and I mean that seriously. If we spend £20m on him I'll be concerned.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Yes to the first paragraph, but is there such a thing? Looking at some of the most expensive transfers from overseas in the last year it's a real mixed bag. 

Rodri - £63m

Ndombele - £54m

Pepe - £72m

Bruno - £50m

Haller - £45m

Joelinton - £40m

On Watkins and Benrahma specifically, I believe Benrahma is probably more talented but Watkins physicality and work rate means I'd go for him if it was 1 of the two.

I do not think wed have to go for the most expensive signings,we could still pick better for what Brentford are asking for those two. We would be paying near enough 30 mill a player for Rahma and Watkins from EFl. Are we not all 1000% sure there is better, much better abroad at 30 million, there has to be.

Honestly if we buy those Brentford lads at that price you may as well shove a sign up at Villa saying "bring your overpriced goods here we will take them"

Edited by Dave-R

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Seems to be a golden generation of American players coming through.

edit: actually there ain’t that many.

Jonathan David was born in New York so could have opted for the US but choose Canada.