Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'll be furious if we sign Harry Wilson. The wrong player.

What we need is some steel in midfield. Not another Conor.

I know what you mean.....but we do need a winger too.

a winger with workrate and industry as well as pace and an ability to cross a mean ball.

surely all the new Data analysis should be identifying them.

4 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

But it's important that they have footballing ability. Wilson is league one standard and I mean that seriously. If we spend £20m on him I'll be concerned.

Why do you think he is only league one standard Okonokos? Why has he been on Liverpool’s books for so long then?

6 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

But it's important that they have footballing ability. Wilson is league one standard and I mean that seriously. If we spend £20m on him I'll be concerned.

If 18 goals in the championship and 7 goals in the Premier League is league one standard then he has fooled us all! 

I get you don’t rate him but he’s hardly league one standard.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

a winger with workrate and industry as well as pace and an ability to cross a mean ball.

Do you have any names TRO you could throw in the hat for Wingers??

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think he is only league one standard Okonokos? Why has he been on Liverpool’s books for so long then?

Because they are waiting for a club gullible enough to hand over £20m for him - let's make sure it isn't us.

Our midfield was badly unbalanced on occasions last season and that’s why for me the signing of someone like McKennie is vital. A midfield trio of Luiz, McGinn & McKennie, with jack and Buendia on the wings supporting Edouard. Then with additional width support from the FB’s ( ??? & Aaron’s)... That for me is a lot more solid and offers flexibility in matches, is realistic leaving a bit in the pot from sales for Gk and ? 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

This is it. The same people saying we should get them will be the first to say it's ok we're fighting relegation again because we bought from the Championship. We don't want that, we want to be stable next season. The fees are just over-inflated in the Champ and there's such a big risk in buying players who might not make the step up. Watkins and Benrahma are not exactly young either, they're playing at close to their prime. Of the two I think Benrahma is more likely to make the step up but the level is much higher in the PL, we saw McGinn and Mings struggling at times and the only player who really showed consistency last season was Jack and even he struggled because he was carrying the team. We don't want that again.

We've been told Rashica is available for £8mil less than Benrahma. I'd imagine there is some good value to be found at Valencia who are having financial problems - why not put in an ambitious offer for Guedes who is potentially a fantastic winger. I hope the links to McKennie, Thauvin and Cillesen are right too, they'd really improve us. In fact, I've seen McKennie would be open to a move to Villa.

These are the signings we should be going all out for, unless we want another season of struggle and people getting frustrated why we're in the position we're in. 

Very good post, spot on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

When did championship players start commanding these kind of fees?

Feels like it’s erupted in the past 2 or 3 years for some reason.

Its actually ridiculous when you think about it, second tier players going for £20M+

It's a weird market, there's £100m players around and a big bracket of let's say european competition class players between £50m and £100m, that's what pushes the Championship players prices up, they *potentially* cost half the price as that bracket but could make the step up. Look at what we paid for Wesley too, Championship seems to be on a par with the second tier of the top European national leagues. Can't help thinking there is enormous value and opportunity in the area of the market we got Wesley in, young £20m players who could end up being worth 2 or 3 times that and in proving so take you up the league. 

The problem is you need the balls to gamble on those players and you need enough of them to be able to write half of them off too, identifying the ones who really have the potential is incredibly hard in the first place too...

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Last time we had a winger with some to use Deeney's phrase "cojones" was Snodgrass.

Trezeguet works hard but he gets bullied too easily for my liking. He does have an eye for a goal but he lacks ability in his general play.

Don't get me started on El Ghazi...

8 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I’ve said it before, if we’re going for someone who played for Bournemouth last season, then it should Brooks. I think we can get him if we took it seriously. 

the problem is that brooks was shite when played out on the wing post lockdown. he's a class player, absolutely, but i think if dean thought he'd fit our system he'd be all over him