Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

15 minutes ago, Enda said:

TRO you’re right that “some folk on here wouldn't even contemplate it“. I suppose the season ahead will tell us.

Now I have to go try find TRO'S post, just read to find out what it is that would be contemplated.

17 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Now I have to go try find TRO'S post, just read to find out what it is that would be contemplated.

Sorry pal. 

That we’d sign an experienced if uninspiring head like James McCarthy as competition for midfield.

As a token to add to any transfer debate when you decide to buy a player like McCarthy for 8 million then pay him 50k a week for 3 years you are investing 15.5m in a player you will get nothing back in a sale value.

In my opinion it would be better to loan a player if you can’t afford a long term addition as then the costs are much smaller in the interim period before you can identify and pay for that player.

It isn’t that hard to find a competent player for a particular position, it is difficult to get one that is very good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would like to see us pick up Ross Barkley on loan. Option to buy maybe? 

I just know he'd be from another planet compared to Hourihane. 

Normally I don't like loans, but in this case it's okay I think. It's not like we're developing their soon to be 27 year old and get nothing from it. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, thunderball said:

The three biggest signings for me this window would be Martinez, Watkins and Barkley.

Traore and Rashica will help, but those three build on a solid platform.

I agree with Martinez and Watkins but I worry that Barkley could be a bad influence on people like Jack. He has had a few drinking incidents so I would stick clear of him

• Like 2

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

We currently have 5 players who can play as a striker and reportedly want to sign another (Rashica) who can play as a striker...... We don't need one.

Spot on, there are other areas that are far more pressing than another fricken striker. There are some folks who need to get a grip on things and stop playing Fifa... 

If Targett, Mings or Konsa get injured then we are in the shit cus there ain’t no one to cover. This is where we need to be strengthening first before anything else 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cosmik Debris said:

I agree with Martinez and Watkins but I worry that Barkley could be a bad influence on people like Jack. He has had a few drinking incidents so I would stick clear of him

Didn't know that. Changes things a bit. We really don't need that stuff. 

8 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Jack’s had some too. It really just the press blowing it up. Jack is laser focused on his career now (lock down excluded 😬)

I know, but it's not good when it becomes a thing. Drinkwater was supposedly back to being a serious footballer again, before he headbuttet Jota or someone in training. Goes without saying that stuff isn't good for squad moral. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Still a lot more to do for me:

GK

Martinez is a good signing.

I'm hearing Heaton is struggling to come back from his injury.  One or two of the physio and coaching staff feel he may be done.

Need to shift 2 from Steer, Nyland and Kalinic.

RB

I'm not a Cash fan.  He might be excellent in a couple of years but right now, unconvinced.

Still a lot of talk that Guilbert is moving on.  I hope not, as I rate him as our best RB currently.  If he does, we need to replace him.

Elmo, he's done for me.  His contract is up in 10 months, so he will be gone by the end of the season.

LB

Our game against Burton says to me that we can't rely on Taylor, so we should get rid and replace if possible.

Targett, he's o.k. has a habbit of getting injured.  I'd be happier with another to press him for 1st choice like Henry.

CB

I'm not his biggest fan, but Mings is our best CB right now.

Konsa, whilst he improved greatly in the last few games last term, I'm still worried about him and Mings as a partnership.  I'd prefer a better starter.

Hause, good in the air, but not much else.  I'd prefer an upgrade.

Engels, I think he's done.  Dean doesn't fancy him, and his lack of pace is a big issue.

CM

Luiz, he came good post lockdown, and a first team slot is his to lose for me.  Our best CM currently.

McGinn, I didn't see the player we saw in the champ in the pl, even before his injury.  Hope i am wrong, but he is not a starter for me right now.

Nakamba, a good option if we need a second DM on the pitch, but i would not play him as first choice.  Decent sub.

Hourihane, takes a good free kick, but is a passenger for large periods.  I would replace him.

Lansbury, don't really need to say it, but he's not good enough and needs to go.

Grealish, contravertial putting him in as CM, but its where he wants to play.  Fine to have him in CM with Luiz and McGinn against weaker teams, but against top 6-8 we need more strength.

W

Trez was a hero at the end of the season, but I don't think he is good enough

El Ghazi, I don't think he is good enough either.

Traore, we will see.  More options needed.

S

Wes wont be available until 2021, and likely wont feature much until next season.  Jurys still out on him.

Watkins, if we can get him service, I think he will score goals.  Not sure he's much of an upgrade or worth the fee though.

Davis, if he could finish, he'd be the perfect striker for us.  Finishing aside, he is a good player.

Samatta, looks like he's off, so we need another in.

Summary

I'm concerned by our defence.  Fullback positions lack depth and experience and CBs both have mistakes in them.  Despite jow vocal and committed Mings is, i don't see him as a leader, so a commanding, experienced CB is a must for me.

Midfield, the 3 of Luiz, McGinn and Grealish will terrorise lower teams, but will get pulled apart by physical teams and higher teams.  We need a 4th CM with strength to compete against those.

We're still very short up front (S and W).  We need another wide player and another forward.  If we keep Grealish wide, then we need 2 CMs.

So, 4 players at least still needed for me, CB, CM, W and S.

Lol, you could do this with any team, you can’t argue with the assessment or conclusion but are doing OK, there will always be good and bad for every player. The best bit is we are doing everything we should be doing and that doesn’t always happen, and thanks to our owners we are spending money the club doesn’t have, they are soaking up the losses as part of their project.

We just need quality competition for every position and keep introducing incrementally better players along the way, we are getting there but the biggest improvements won’t happen over night and not until we are in Europe either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

James McCarthy isn’t garbage, but I don’t want him here either.

I confess I was exaggerating but seriously didn't expect to have conversation on transfer window thread why I think this is terrible suggestion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cosmik Debris said:

I understand your concern about Barkley but I’d like to think that Jack has matured and as club captain perhaps he could be a good influence on Barkley rather than the reverse. 

Edited by DaveAV1

If I have to get a Chelsea cast off, I wouldn’t be looking at Ross Barkley on a loan, I’d be looking at Ruben Loftus-Cheek on a permanent deal. 

For our desired progression we should be out growing the Barkleys within a year or two, so buying him wouldn’t be good value for the long term, I believe he has hit his ceiling.  A loan will only be a short term fix, with all the benefits going to Chelsea, because the extra game time, gives them a pedestal to advertise him to other clubs. 

Lotus-cheek fits Villa’s current profile. young English player, high ceiling and largely forgotten about. The poor lad can’t get the game time at Chelsea to reach his ceiling.  A move to us will give him the game time. Also he adds some much needed size and strength in our midfield. However, the fee Chelsea will ask for, would probably be out of our range.   

Edited by CarryOnVilla

4 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I found this "coloured" up pic of one of our old FA Cup winning teams on tweeter today. A replica of the beast of a man who is far right of the back row might be enough to fulfil the big unit the likes of TRO are looking for in midfield... 

By the way, it is a cracking photograph. 

That’s a really great picture, thanks for sharing it. Ramsey and Rinder are historical figures for AVFC. As for the big lad next to Rinder, I think it’s fair to say he has the physical presence we’ve been lacking! 

• Like 3