Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Just now, Rob182 said:

Fixed for you too 😉

So do we believe words or actions?

Its ridiculous to think wages could have been an issue re.Maupay.......I mean Brighton agreed to pay more than us and yet we got out 3 months later and sign DD and Reina? 

6 minutes ago, rayk said:

So do we believe words or actions?

Its ridiculous to think wages could have been an issue re.Maupay.......I mean Brighton agreed to pay more than us and yet we got out 3 months later and sign DD and Reina? 

If I was to hazard a guess, I’d say that DD and Reina being short term had something to do with that, so we were only committing to 6 months worth of wages that could have been high. Committing to 3-5 years on higher wages takes the planned spend into another stratosphere. 

I don’t see why Purslow would lie about something that every other club in the Prem could have refuted, if untrue. It’s not like a prediction of where he thought we’d finish in the league. He was talking financial facts.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rayk said:

‘I may be wrong but I suspect Brighton could offer him higher wages even though I don’t know what his wages are or what our position was with FFP even though we signed a few high wages players in the Jan transfer window

Just corrected you  😉

Well it’s a fact that our previous 3 years were in championship so in terms of FFP Brighton would have more to spend.  It’s also quite well known we were in for him and he chose Brighton over us. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, rayk said:

Not really, we’d just had a prior season full of loans and buy back clauses really aren’t that much different.

The positives of loans are you don’t pay a fee upfront (so you’re not blowing £££££ on DD type players)....the positives of a deal with a buy back clause is you benefit from any uplift .........SHOULD they come good, but at best it’s likely to be a 50:50 profit share BUT you’ve made the capital commitment initially.

In the case of Luiz though we risk losing the player for a lot less than his market value should City decide that's what they want to do. We have Luiz this season because City say so - if they chose otherwise, then yes, both teams would profit on the initial fee we paid, but the control, the decision making lies with City - I'm sure we're not satisfied with that.

I think we'd be reluctant to take on another loan with buyback option because of that loss of control.

• Like 1

Regarding Brewster, I feel like he’s a much riskier purchase than Edouard/ Watkins etc.

He has performed well at Championship level for half a season. No more.

He could turn out to be a really good talent and prospect, or he could be a nothing player that we regret spending £20m+ on.

Just playing Devil’s Advocate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Regarding Brewster, I feel like he’s a much riskier purchase than Edouard/ Watkins etc.

He could turn out to be a really good talent and prospect, or he could be a nothing player that we regret spending £20m+ on.

Championship > SPL to be fair. 

• Like 1

Re the possibility of bringing anyone else in, if Bert is available tomorrow night, it gives us the opportunity to give all the new lads a run out and assess exactly where we are against a solid side, a smart move maybe before committing to any further outlay.

Personally, I say screw that and spend.

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

In the case of Luiz though we risk losing the player for a lot less than his market value should City decide that's what they want to do. We have Luiz this season because City say so - if they chose otherwise, then yes, both teams would profit on the initial fee we paid, but the control, the decision making lies with City - I'm sure we're not satisfied with that.

I think we'd be reluctant to take on another loan with buyback option because of that loss of control.

Newly promoted sides are beggars not choosers, We are different gravy now

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Yeah look where signing Liverpool startlets got Eddie Howe and Bournemouth.

However I think Brewster is the most probable of all players currently linked.

Would be against the current philosophy but with some much uncertainty in the world a cheeky loan for a high quality player could make all the difference for a season. I agree mostly in the principle in buying young players who will improve but you have to say that was one of the reasons why we nearly got relegated last year. We just need a little bit of extra quality now to push the team on  now.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Provided Brewster is half decent and not another Solanke/Ibe, I’d much rather spend 20m on him than 15-20m on a Callum Wilson type. Brewster wouldn’t mind coming here as second fiddle with the intention of earning his place and learning his trade. 

Brewster and Rashica for 40m would complete our front line for now with the rest of what we have being spent on a CM.

Edited by Delphinho123

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Would be against the current philosophy but with some much uncertainty in the world a cheeky loan for a high quality player could make all the difference for a season. I agree mostly in the principle in buying young players who will improve but you have to say that was one of the reasons why we nearly got relegated last year. We just need a little bit of extra quality now to push the team on  now.

Absolutely, I don't see how buying a pretty ordinary player on the cheap for the sake of it is better than loaning a better quality player/prospect even if you don't have a clause to buy them at the end of it.

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Absolutely, I don't see how buying a pretty ordinary player on the cheap for the sake of it is better than loaning a better quality player/prospect even if you don't have a clause to buy them at the end of it.

Also is said loan player helps to make Villa look like  a established mid table prem team then that in time will attract better players to move to us in about 12-18 months time, if we look like  a side that would start to challenge for europa league places again. If you just keep buying players at the same level then that will not really improve you unless we have magic coaching.

• Like 1

Nyland, Kalinić, Engels, Guilbert, Lansbury, Jota, Davis and Samatta all linked with moves away or rumoured to be available, if there's any truth to the Rashica rumours then wouldn't be surprised to see one of El Ghazi or Trézéguet leave either.

11 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

We were linked with him last year I think?

Think Bruce tried to buy him on the last day of the transfer window but Aberdeen rejected it as they had no time to bring in a replacement - fair enough

I think it was just after that defender rejected us... who then ended up at Middlesbro' a year later