Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

20 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Very attacking, which I like, but potentially soft/weak defensively, especially in midfield.

It depends on the opposition, but we could do with at least a strong CM who’s also good in the air & passes the ball well, that would help us in the tougher games and help ensure we aren’t overpowered or outmuscled, need some strength/physicality in there at times, options.

Sure, roles would need to be changed, though I personally don't see that midfield being bullied in the slightest.

They wouldn't be blessed with height, but positioning and timing can compensate. Be first to the contest and get your body between man and ball, or anticipate where it falls.

McGinn is both relentless and tenacious is winning contests, Luiz reads the game well and will intercept and dispossess opponents, and Grealish's work rate isn't in doubt.

I think that would make for a mouth watering midfield. Yes, especially on the ball, however not one of those three are mugs off it either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Very attacking, which I like, but potentially soft/weak defensively, especially in midfield.

It depends on the opposition, but we could do with at least a strong CM who’s also good in the air & passes the ball well, that would help us in the tougher games and help ensure we aren’t overpowered or outmuscled, need some strength/physicality in there at times, options.

People keep saying this. Is it a lot worse than likes of Wijnaldum Fabinho Henderson that do ok in 433 for Liverpool for example

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

People keep saying this. Is it a lot worse than likes of Wijnaldum Fabinho Henderson that do ok in 433 for Liverpool for example

I really don't think many Villa supporters watch much football besides Villa and occasionally England, which is why their views on tactics and "what we need" is stuck 5-10 years in the past.  

Most Premier League teams play some variation on 4-3-3, but there are several playing a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3, like Wolves, Arsenal, & Sheffield United.  Deano tried to experiment with this system last season with 3 at the back, but we lacked all the pieces to make things work correctly.  Who we are targeting seem to be players who are versatile enough to play in several systems.  Cash, for example, can operate all along the right side of the team comfortably.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

I really don't think many Villa supporters watch much football besides Villa and occasionally England, which is why their views on tactics and "what we need" is stuck 5-10 years in the past.  

Most Premier League teams play some variation on 4-3-3, but there are several playing a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3, like Wolves, Arsenal, & Sheffield United.  Deano tried to experiment with this system last season with 3 at the back, but we lacked all the pieces to make things work correctly.  Who we are targeting seem to be players who are versatile enough to play in several systems.  Cash, for example, can operate all along the right side of the team comfortably.  

To be honest, I'm one of those. I only watch Villa and occasionally PL or Championship (plus my local team in Saudi, although not as regular as I do with Villa). So I can't really even suggest who we might possibly get, or even follow other teams with noticing who's playing and how are they doing.

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

The difference is that they are just much better footballers. You can get away with lacking size and having an attacking line-up, if you just are that much better at everything else. Especially if the team are that much better collectively. Barcelona could also get away with Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Mascherano, Alves, Puyol, Villa, who all were a bunch of midgets in their respective positions, but it didn't matter too much when they were so fecking good at football. 

We don't have that quality yet nor are we settled like a style to that degree. In fact settling and gelling all the new players will once again be a huge task for Deano. 

So we could and should easily use more physique and defensive traits in our midfield to grab points we otherwise won't get. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Barkley

8 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

You've completely missed my point.  You can't assess the current ability of a player who hasn't played for the best part of a year due to injury.  His injury could have taken away his pace, and without 1st team football, its highly unlikely he has progressed from the player we saw in the championship.

Konsa, in my opinion, was a better player than Axel was when he was with us, and progressed massively last season.  I can't see an injured Axel getting better by not playing and sitting in the treatment room, more likely he regressed.

Axel and Mings partnership was very impressive, and Axel looked just as good as Mings. Konsa is too lightweight atm for my liking. Tuanzube is a powerhouse. Physically when he is fit Tuanzube is so much stronger and he is faster. Technically they a both very composed and good distributors. Konsa has more experience, but apart from our last two games last season Konsa always looked vulnerable.

I think if we had both of them we would be nicely stocked. Keep Engels as 5th choice to cover for injuries. And we would be decent at centre back with plenty of depth. What's not to like?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Marco Grujic perhaps?  Or Will Hughes or Billing as a cheaper options.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Looks like Engels is off to Holland, Axel on a loan to buy would be ideal. Axel and Konsa are very similar quality and have a high ceiling, could be our future for a long time.

If Chris Smalling fails to get his move abroad, I wouldn’t be against him coming here.  Think he’d be terrific next to Mings.  Konsa would still play plenty of games over a season.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Sure, roles would need to be changed, though I personally don't see that midfield being bullied in the slightest.

They wouldn't be blessed with height, but positioning and timing can compensate. Be first to the contest and get your body between man and ball, or anticipate where it falls.

McGinn is both relentless and tenacious is winning contests, Luiz reads the game well and will intercept and dispossess opponents, and Grealish's work rate isn't in doubt.

I think that would make for a mouth watering midfield. Yes, especially on the ball, however not one of those three are mugs off it either.

A Luiz, McGinn, Grealish midfield will work fine if we push up our defensive line, squeeze to space and look to keep the ball.  This way the middle of the park becomes congested and the team with the best dribblers and short passers in midfield will dominate. In terms of dribbling and keep the ball under pressure that midfield 3 is up there with the best in the league. Short passing is as much about drilling and cohesion as passing ability so if the training ground work is done correctly that midfield can compete with any in the league. 

However if we play a deeper defensive line or just a normal defensive line it will create more space in midfield to exploit which is where Jack can end up playing too deep, and we can get out muscled by a more aggressive and combative midfield unit.

This is why I'm an advocate for us to bring in a fast centre back and left back. If we load our defense with pacy defenders, we can push or defense further up the field, without worrying too much about our opponents killing us with balls in behind. Then we can squeeze the space and make our pressing game more effective and play to the strengths of a midfield trio of Luiz, John and Jack (our 3 best players). If we were to sign Buendia to play on the right that would really compliment the style I'm advocating, particularly as Jack likes to drift to the left. So you get a playmaker on both sides of the pitch.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

If Chris Smalling fails to get his move abroad, I wouldn’t be against him coming here.  Think he’d be terrific next to Mings.  Konsa would still play plenty of games over a season.

Club philosophy is quite clear and that's not buying a CB that's 31 in November and I'm very happy about that

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Marco Grujic perhaps?  Or Will Hughes or Billing as a cheaper options.

Billing was one of if not the best midfielder in the league aerially last season and is generally excellent in terms of defensive actions. He was also difficult to dispossess on the ball (probably due to his size and strength) but not much of a passer, so he'd be a taller, stronger, probably better overall replacement for Marv. If he were cheap enough, I'd definitely take him. Probably not enough quality on the ball to be a starter in many games, but very useful in some, and in a good partnership with Doug taking the balls he wins and doing the passing, could be really effective.

4 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

Billing was one of if not the best midfielder in the league aerially last season and is generally excellent in terms of defensive actions. He was also difficult to dispossess on the ball (probably due to his size and strength) but not much of a passer, so he'd be a taller, stronger, probably better overall replacement for Marv. If he were cheap enough, I'd definitely take him. Probably not enough quality on the ball to be a starter in many games, but very useful in some, and in a good partnership with Doug taking the balls he wins and doing the passing, could be really effective.

Also back to back relegations with separate clubs. Had his game of the season against us. Not much of a passer is people's complaint about Nakamba so what's the point? We're not playing 4141 regularly. If we sign Traore and another wide player midfield 3 will be Luiz McGinn Grealish with backup of Hourihane Nakamba etc

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Also back to back relegations with separate clubs. Had his game of the season against us. Not much of a passer is people's complaint about Nakamba so what's the point? We're not playing 4141 regularly. If we sign Traore and another wide player midfield 3 will be Luiz McGinn Grealish with backup of Hourihane Nakamba etc

That's the issue, even center backs need to be able to pass and composed on the ball in the modern game.  Nakamba is great defensively but is slow distributing which invites pressure.  Billing would be the same IMO.  We need a balance, good defensive output but can confidently transition the ball out of defense and break the opposite teams counter-press.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MJ_1874 said:

That's the issue, even center backs need to be able to pass and composed on the ball in the modern game.  Nakamba is great defensively but is slow distributing which invites pressure.  Billing would be the same IMO.  We need a balance, good defensive output but can confidently transition the ball out of defense and break the opposite teams counter-press.

Doesn't Luiz and McGinn do that?

Edited by Kiwivillan

3 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

To be honest, I'm one of those. I only watch Villa and occasionally PL or Championship (plus my local team in Saudi, although not as regular as I do with Villa). So I can't really even suggest who we might possibly get, or even follow other teams with noticing who's playing and how are they doing.

When we got relegated I didn’t watch Prem football at all until we came back up. It’s taken me a season to get used to the league again and how much it’s changed. 

• Like 3