Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

36 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Pretty much this. I’d like a big bastard central midfielder, an enforcer so to speak, and Rashica.

Just sign Frank if you want an Enforcer in midfield.

a0d8baba92d47c7a285bf1352fee60d9.jpg

13 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

Is that all anyone cares about these days?

John Terry is arguably the best premier league CB.... ever.

No.......but if you haven't got it, you can be exposed.

particularly relevant in certain positions.

Terry, Moore and Macca was not renowned for pace.....but its sharpness on the ball too.

Englels is just slow in everything, even thinking.....he is not dominant either, more tentative.

Edited by TRO

So let's review the window so far...

Based on post lockdown team we've brought in, what we can guess, are four first team players.

Martinez is a massive improvement on Reina/Nyland. Imagine he's also an improvement on the unlucky Heaton.

Cash is...well, despite the cost, I'm not sure he is an improvement over Guilbert and probably should be aiming for Elmo's back up role at present.

Watkins is already miles ahead of Samatta and Davis so big initial improvement. Wesley still in the fight when he returns.

Now Traore. Got to feel it's at least a babystep improvement over El Ghazi, possibly a lot more.

Grealish is staying, McGinn is getting back to full fitness, Luiz has found his feet and is really pushing on. All in all it points to a comfortable jump forward in terms of progress.

However, defensively speaking we are incredibly shaky. Taylor, Hause, Elmo are all probably going to feature more than we want. Konsa, Guilbert, Cash are all unlikely to be consistent. Mings has a tendency to get a little complacent. Targett is somewhere in the middle of all that and I'm guessing Engels isn't sticking around. It's not strong.

It might be greedy, but I really think we need a good quality CB, probably more than we need Rashica...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MJ_1874 said:

Yes both do it well.  McGinn especially.

If we are looking for another DCM/CM however, we need to ensure they can as well.

McGinn is not a CDM in my view.....another one to accompany Luiz would be nifty imo......in a 4-2-3-1

but Rashica will be important too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

McNulty is clearly asleep at the wheel, he need only look at the potential moving on of Samatta and realise we need another striker. I think he's a bit in shock we've spent what we have so far and can't conceive we'd spend any more. 

11 minutes ago, Jareth said:

McNulty is clearly asleep at the wheel, he need only look at the potential moving on of Samatta and realise we need another striker. I think he's a bit in shock we've spent what we have so far and can't conceive we'd spend any more. 

I honestly don’t think we do; Watkins, Davis, a Wesley and Traore can play there - seems fine for a 1 striker formation. 

Still think we’ve got at least one more singing incoming though.

29 minutes ago, Farlz said:

🤔

Smith said the opposite at the press conference yesterday. When asked about Traore he said he didn’t have an update and it’s one of a few signings we are looking at/working on. (Paraphrasing)

• Like 1

I think McNulty is likely wrong when he says that’s us done with spending. I don’t think we’ll be signing another CF, though, as Traoré does mention in his unveiling that he likes to play as a striker. So I’d imagine we go with Watkins as 1st choice, Davis is the immediate replacement, Wesley to return in the new year, Traore can be utilised as CF if needs be. I’ve always had in my mind that we could likely spend the same this transfer window as we did last summer, I still think this is the case. If we get Rashica then I’d still be thinking we have a CM to come. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

I honestly don’t think we do; Watkins, Davis, a Wesley and Traore can play there - seems fine for a 1 striker formation. 

Still think we’ve got at least one more singing incoming though.

Agree that we can play Traore there, but we need 3 fully fit strikers this season with no firm idea on Wes's return - also I think John Percy said we were in for another striker - and he's often paying more attention than most.,,

19 minutes ago, Farlz said:

🤔

I like McNulty and he generally writes good articles on the BBC but he may have this one wrong.

"unless an unforeseen opportunity presents itself."

Yes, Like the big game of transfer poker that's currently going on at the moment.

I think there will be a few "unforeseen opportunities" to be had for sure once we call the bluff of one or two clubs at the table.

We’re one signing away from this being a good window. Either a CM or a LW. 

Im worried Traoré might struggle and if he does, I don’t want to have to go through another season with Grealish having to do everything on his own again. 

So far so good, but we need one more at least I’m afraid. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Farlz said:

🤔

He’s just followed up with this. Haven’t even bothered checking the replies but can imagine the Villa twitter brigade are out hurling the abuse.

I also think it’s complete tosh Traore is our last signing, but so what if he is. Journo’s are always wrong... apart from Percy 😜

• Like 1