Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I agree. I’d be far more confident going into this season if we had another solid pro at centre back. A 2020 equivalent of Olof Mellberg or even Richard Dunne would work a treat. Not necessarily spectacular signings when signed but reliable performers and neither cost a fortune. 

Valid points being made about the squad potentially becoming bloated in certain positions though and the wages, etc. that could with it. We already have at least four centre backs in the squad so would make sense to sell one if buying any more. 

Got the feeling Engels lost Deano‘s trust after that howler against Spurs. That said if a CB is going to leave and free up a squad spot I reckon it’d be Hause. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

Got the feeling Engels lost Deano‘s trust after that howler against Spurs. That said if a CB is going to leave and free up a squad spot I reckon it’d be Hause. 

That was the low point of the season for me actually! Even before that, the Engles situation was strange. He seemed to have been almost frozen out at one point, in spite of injuries, and seemed to come in and out of favour unpredictably. I still think he’s a good player and will come good. I’d be much quicker to sell Hause. Not sure he can improve much further. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Sorry but Axel is better. Stronger, faster, better in the air, just as good technically the only advantage Konsa has is injury record and first team games. My only concern with Axel is injuries.

even though that could possibly turn out true, we can't just compare a season where one was in one of the best teams in a weaker league vs being in one of the weaker teams in a far stronger league.  

All that said, if we are looking at another center back I think we should be looking for a clear upgrade on Konsa of which Axel is not. 

28 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Sorry but Axel is better. Stronger, faster, better in the air, just as good technically the only advantage Konsa has is injury record and first team games. My only concern with Axel is injuries.

Axel is not better in the air, you can’t really compare one played for us in the championship and the other in the premier league 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I think you have your Tuanzebe tinted glasses on.

Tuanzebe has 10 total Prem appearances (& that only equates to 5 total games roughly), most of the hype around Tuanzebe was from the championship, which was the same for Konsa in the 18/19 year.

Tuanzebe has shown literally nothing in the Prem, granted partly due to injury and not being selected, but he has been injured for roughly 260 days in the last 4 years, thats nearly a year out.....for a 22 year old?

Now, i loved Tuanzebe when we were in the champ, and if he didnt have such a terrible injury record he might be worth looking at, however he did himself over by signing a new contract with Manure rather than seeking a move for first team opportunities, he wont get a starting position at Manure and he has stunted his development because of it, at least in the short term.

Im not saying he's a bad player, he isnt, and if he had moved 12 months ago and got game time he could be discussed alongside Konsa, but he didnt, he hasnt, and he's been injured (again) for large chunks of this season.

Right now, to say Tuanzebe is better than Konsa just isnt right, Konsa played 25+ Premiership games last season, and towards the end of the season actually looked pretty settled and played well, Tuanzebe literally played the equivalent of 2 games this season.

Like i say, im not down on Tuanzebe, i will always be grateful for his assistance in helping us get promoted (dont forget he was injured for a fair while whilst he was with us), but the rose tinted spectacles around Tuanzebe is comical at times.

I am sure he will become a decent CB, maybe even a very good one, but right now........hes a player who played well in the championship for half a season (nearly 18 months ago), has had numerous extensive injury absences, and has played the equivalent of 2 games in the last 12 months.

I think it’s the old ability versus performance debate. Ability is useless if you’re not on the pitch performing to your potential. I think Axel has more ability but for various reasons hasn’t got himself on the pitch performing at his true level. Sentiment and romance can tend to get us longing for underperformers to get back to their level. 

19 minutes ago, Awol said:

Nah, I don't think that's what did it at all, there was an obvious issue even before that.

He was actually solid for that whole game, it was just unfortunate.

A few of our players have dropped clangers, can't see Deano bomb squadding them for a mistake, if it's not consistent that is.

31 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Peak Axel trumps Konsa, but not by much and their respective  tradjectories Are in different directions now.

Konsa will develop and has a high ceiling, we have a good one there, we just need to keep playing him.

I like Konsa, but I'm yet to be convinced. Had a 2 or 3 good games post lockdown the rest he looked like a young lad learning to play against men.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Awol said:

No way Hause is a better defender than Konsa and Engels. Problem is his ball playing. But defenders need to defend first. Engels lack athleticism and aggression, such players struggle in this league.

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Nah, I don't think that's what did it at all, there was an obvious issue even before that.

He was actually solid for that whole game, it was just unfortunate.

So, what happened then*?

*speculation.. 

21 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

even though that could possibly turn out true, we can't just compare a season where one was in one of the best teams in a weaker league vs being in one of the weaker teams in a far stronger league.  

All that said, if we are looking at another center back I think we should be looking for a clear upgrade on Konsa of which Axel is not. 

21 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Axel is not better in the air, you can’t really compare one played for us in the championship and the other in the premier league 

Konsa is cack in the air.

The problem with Tuanzube is he is injury prone. That's down to his explosiveness, and playing a position where you constantly have to lunge, dive and hurl yourself at the ball. As an athlete he is an absolute beast, technique is good and has composure and bravery. Potentially a world class centre back. Will probably never achieve that due to injury problems though. 

Konsa was good for a handful of games. Regularly got bullied, regularly beaten in the air, not the bravest. He will be a good Premier league player, but has a way to go. Tuanzebe's talent  ceiling is way higher.

That's my view and I stand by it.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I think it’s the old ability versus performance debate. Ability is useless if you’re not on the pitch performing to your potential. I think Axel has more ability but for various reasons hasn’t got himself on the pitch performing at his true level. Sentiment and romance can tend to get us longing for underperformers to get back to their level. 

He hasn't underperformed, due to injury and stiff competition just hasn't really got the chance. It's a real shame for him.

1 hour ago, striker said:

Very good CB at Burnley available. 50m for Tarkowski, 40m for Edouard and 20m each for Rash and Martinez should end up being a decent window for Villa.😉

Signing Tarkowski would make one hell of a statement. it would tell the world that Villa mean business.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Signing Tarkowski would make one hell of a statement. it would tell the world that Villa mean business.

I don't think we will see that type of signing until next season personally.

We need to be careful with how we uproot the squad as well.

If we can finish mid table, and we are happy with most, then we can start buying the 2 or three top tier players to push on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't think we will see that type of signing until next season personally.

We need to be careful with how we uproot the squad as well.

If we can finish mid table, and we are happy with most, then we can start buying the 2 or three top tier players to push on.

Tarkowski at 27 needs to move now !   He has 5 maybe 6 years at peak ..   A team will move for him in this window whether its west ham or leicester. Its the perfect time for Villa to step up.