Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

When we were linked with Konsa last summer, England u21s were playing in some tournament. I watched it and Konsa was playing CB. I thought he looked rubbish and hoped we didn't sign him. 

Before lockdown, I saw nothing to make me feel he'd never be anything more than cover for a starting CB. 

After lockdown, he came in at RB and did OK all things considered. He earned the right to a CB position and I thought he did surprisingly well. 

Last game against West Ham. In the tunnel before the game, Konsa is stood there looking all steely-eyed with the camera focused on him and he looked like he was up for the challenge and meant business. I said to the guys I watched it with that you could see that Konsa looked really psyched up for it and mean. I like to see that in a defender. 

Maybe playing alongside Mings has given him a target to aim at both physically and mentally. They could form a really decent partnership this season. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Sorry but Axel is better. Stronger, faster, better in the air, just as good technically the only advantage Konsa has is injury record and first team games. My only concern with Axel is injuries.

Axel is pretty terrible in the air

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Konsa is cack in the air.

The problem with Tuanzube is he is injury prone. That's down to his explosiveness, and playing a position where you constantly have to lunge, dive and hurl yourself at the ball. As an athlete he is an absolute beast, technique is good and has composure and bravery. Potentially a world class centre back. Will probably never achieve that due to injury problems though.

Good defenders dont lunge, dive and hurl themselves at the ball 😂

• Like 4

8 hours ago, RicRic said:

@nick76 Just out of curiosity could you name any forward players with that versatility that you would prefer to Origi i’m just intrigued to what other options are currently better than him based on the price he is being offered for and the experience he has plus the age factor as he is only 25? 

The “who would you have instead” discussion I’m not so good at but I do follow football passionately across the PL like most on here and when we are linked with players I love finding out about them, reviews, character about them over the years from various sources.  YouTube clips are one thing but comments about players at the time of selling are always biased one way or another so I don’t hold them in such high regard.  So I read a lot of older reviews, articles and analyses when they are just talking about the player with no thought of selling.  These articles sometimes come from people close at the club, where players have gone on loan, coaching and management staff talking about the player over the years.

In regards to Origi, he’s certainly has had some high points.  Reading reviews though of him over the years seem to suggest issues with his character that he’ll have a spell where he is great but then a much longer spell when he’s awful.  There were discussions around whether that was because he’s been used as an impact sub but reviews seem to suggest the other way that he’s a sub because he has spells where he doesn’t get after it.  Some suggest that’s because he hasn’t had a proper run, others highlight to his great start at Wolfsburg on loan where he was great for the first 10 games then awful for the next 20 games.  

Seem to be whether he’s wanting it, a character floor that I want to stay away from.  I don’t want a player that looks good on a highlights clip....I remember the days of Collymore lazing his way around the Villa park turf with only occasional magic.  We, as a team, can’t afford a luxury player like that, that can disappear for a large number of games so for me Origi is a No.  It’s also interesting that no other club has really had any other serious interest in him despite some of the highlights he’s done.

Edited by nick76

8 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Sorry but Axel is better. Stronger, faster, better in the air, just as good technically the only advantage Konsa has is injury record and first team games. My only concern with Axel is injuries.

Axel was awful in the air, he had no reading of the flight of the ball.

What I find interesting is we were clearly in for Wilson and Watkins meaning we were willing to spend a significant amount of money on a number 9 who might not play. Wilson can’t really play on the wing and Watkins won’t be playing there either. 

It points to a couple of things. We have a lot of money. We’re clearly very worried about the ability of our current strikers. We could still be in for Edouard if he becomes available for around 20m (his wages will be lower). 

We’re still poor in the wide areas. We need to sort that as a priority now. 

57 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Good defenders dont lunge, dive and hurl themselves at the ball 😂

This is rubbish. Go watch John Terry play, or our own Mings. If the ball comes into the box a centre back has to win it by hook or crook. Even the most refined and composed do. They just don't look rushed or panicked doing it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

What I find interesting is we were clearly in for Wilson and Watkins meaning we were willing to spend a significant amount of money on a number 9 who might not play. Wilson can’t really play on the wing and Watkins won’t be playing there either. 

It points to a couple of things. We have a lot of money. We’re clearly very worried about the ability of our current strikers. We could still be in for Edouard if he becomes available for around 20m (his wages will be lower). 

We’re still poor in the wide areas. We need to sort that as a priority now. 

A tweet from Ian Taylor would suggest otherwise....