Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Wouldnt be surprised to see us linked with Ludwig Agustinsson (Werder Bremen). Swedish LB, had som injury problems last season but is a really fine player. Played (and scored) for Sweden in 2018 WC, is a regular in the Swedish national side when fit. Before Bremen he played at FC Copenhagen and it was probably Lange that bought him and sold him on.

Agustinsson is a model pro, always has choseni clubs so far to be prepared for one of the big leagues and big clubs and maybe its time for him to step up to the Premier League. As player he has a sweet left foot, great delivery and set pieces. Hes very offensive in his style of play but also a good defender. At 26 yo he should be entering his prime. Perfect upgrade on Taylor and competition for Targett.

German media suggests hes gettable for 7 million euros. Bargain and a no brainer IMO.

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Wingers what about?

Dodi Lukebakio

Hakan Calhanoglu

Takefusa Kubo

Admit it, you’ve made these names up, haven’t you?

5 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I'm alot more confident in our defence than I am in our Wingers strikers handsome midfielders, I mean excluding Luiz and Grealish then I certainly think we need to upgrade front line and midfield more. Have said many a time that if those positions started working better then the defence would also be less strained, also making less mistakes. Post lockdown proved that once players in front of defence started working better that the defence would be bombarded less and would allow less daft goals in.

We need to be identifying talented footballers and focus less on their looks!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I'm alot more confident in our defence than I am in our Wingers strikers handsome midfielders, I mean excluding Luiz and Grealish then I certainly think we need to upgrade front line and midfield more. Have said many a time that if those positions started working better then the defence would also be less strained, also making less mistakes. Post lockdown proved that once players in front of defence started working better that the defence would be bombarded less and would allow less daft goals in.

So I'm opposite to you as I think before lockdown teams were backing us up for 60-70 mins a time and to be fair they did work pretty darn well. It's just the defence needed a hand to take some of the opposition play away and free pressure and Luiz was that answer after lockdown, even Hourihane had started to intercept very nice.

The main answer is to get players in for the players we feel were not working at all. Ghazi and Samatta for instance were wasted players and alot others time it must of felt to the rest that they were playing with 9 men. That's a large handicap given to the opponents, its priority that needs desperate attention and think Smith n co know it.

I really would pay most attention to up front but I do agree that it would also be nice to fetch an experienced or two defender in. Maybe a right back and left back that can cut crosses out far faster than what our players have been able to. If we sell Taylor which I think we will i think then we would certainly buy a left back, if we see Elmo leave then you know a right backs coming in to replace.

I do not know what the squad limit is overall, chelsea have 40 + players dont they?? If true then we can certainly keep some to add more players as well have 20+ right?? Villa squad needs more competition and fight so players if they are lacking has someone else stepping up. I would however sell Samatta, Ghazi, Lansbury and Nakamba and Taylor, that's five instant replacements we would need then additions on top of them. I still think it's going to be another sizable signing session somehow  It maybe wont be as big as the 14 or so players we signed this season gone, but we could end up with six to nine players providing we do sell anyone which Smith may choose not to do at all and just decide to fill the overall squad up more.

I get what you’re saying mate. 

17 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

when Taylor came in for injured targett I don't think he did much wrong tbf. Our worst positions by far our are wingers and striker if we only have a certain amount to spend id much rather just go big on those positions and get some real quality in. 

No, I agree. Defensively he was good this season. Offensively however... I'm amazed how well Grealish could do at times considering how utterly rubbish Taylor is going forward. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Admit it, you’ve made these names up, haven’t you?

We need to be identifying talented footballers and focus less on their looks!

No not made those names up and that was not sposed to be typed handsome, hate typing on phones at times lol

Dodi Lukebakio comes from Hertha.

Hakan calhanoglu is at AC Milan I believe still.

Takefusa Kubo is from Real Madrid.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TreeVillan said:

I rate both Guilbert and Targett highly myself, don't think it's a urgent position to fill. 

Me too , happy to continue with them , it’s the front 3 we need to sort and maybe a midfielder

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

when Taylor came in for injured targett I don't think he did much wrong tbf. Our worst positions by far our are wingers and striker if we only have a certain amount to spend id much rather just go big on those positions and get some real quality in. 

Yes if I had to choose out of them then Taylor is much less of a worry than the Wingers and striker. I only say Taylor because it's a position we can certainly upgrade there and while he has played good after lockdown hes been not so good before it, that said he does have experience and has aided us since LD finished. 

Without a doubt we need to make up front priority and make sure we get it right. We do not want another season relying on Samatta or Ghazi, we will be in instant trouble and I along with many will be calling for Youth to replace them asap. Jota should be sold as I do not think Smith has any intentions of playing him unless he dramatically increases his ability in speed and stamina. Trezegeut is the only frontline player (Grealish excused) after lockdown to of even scored let along put decent games in. He works hard for it and eventually it does come to that type of player, how long though will he continue before he has another bad spell?? We cant risk it one bit and that's the reason why all our frontliners apart from one (grealish) are not going to take us forward in this league. We need precision finishers, crosses and positioners not to mention players with the stamina, speed and ability to work on the wings. The strikers we buy indeed need alot more than what our current ones are capable of. Between the wings and strikers I'm not sure who's worse because those areas have been abysmal and  boring to watch.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think in today's crazy market, £40m is about right for Tammy Abraham.

I wouldn't want us to be spending that money on him though.

I would. Tammys shown that he scores goals at this level. Thats what we need.  Furthermore i think a sogbing like tammy makes grealish stay. Its known they are good friends and grealish thrives playing with tammy.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I would. Tammys shown that he scores goals at this level. Thats what we need.  Furthermore i think a sogbing like tammy makes grealish stay. Its known they are good friends and grealish thrives playing with tammy.

Tammy had a good start this season but he's trailed off badly. He's got 2 goals since January in one of the best sides in the league.

He's not what we need, and not at that price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Tammy had a good start this season but he's trailed off badly. He's got 2 goals since January in one of the best sides in the league.

I guess the question is.... who is the player we need if not Tammy? 

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I think he may not have fully recovered from that injury he picked up. He didnt look the same once he got injured. 

I still think he is better than what we have. At 40m i think its a no brainer for me.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Well if our attackers can retain the ball better we'll definitely concede less goals and score more.

This is actually a very valid point.
I don't think our defense is great, but it's nowhere near as bad as the stats suggest because I think we are being hit too often from positions we shouldn't be. Ask yourself this, how many times do we have the ball in a decent position around the box, only for all of a sudden to be defending on the edge of our own 18 yard box? A lot of these scenarios come about because our wide men or strikers seem to lose the ball when they shouldn't and we get countered. 
I think we're the only team in the league where I shit myself when our wingers have the ball!

• Like 1

We possibly could get a better player than Tammy but they'll come with the risk they need time to get used to to the league/club/area.

As we've seen time gets away from you in this league. We can't have another season deserving points early on and losing all those games.

Tammy is as ideal we can get. Plus Grealish loves him.

Edited by Tomaszk

49 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

No not made those names up and that was not sposed to be typed handsome, hate typing on phones at times lol

Dodi Lukebakio comes from Hertha.

Hakan calhanoglu is at AC Milan I believe still.

Takefusa Kubo is from Real Madrid.

Thanks, only kidding. I'd just never heard of them and they sound like regen names (like many our current academy)!

18 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We possibly could get a better player than Tammy but they'll come with the risk they need time to get used to to the league/club/area.

As we've seen time gets away from you in this league. We can't have another season deserving points early on and losing all those games.

Tammy is as ideal we can get. Plus Grealish loves him.

Let's get the old band back together.

• Thanks 1

My thoughts re: Tammy: 

When we were in the championship we were a super attacking side and created a ton of chances. Abraham scored quite a lot but he probably missed more. The thing that worries me a little about him is that at the moment, one of his strengths is his mental fortitude - he really believes in himself and that's great, but it's also something that he could lose as time goes on. Does he really have the natural talent to fall back on if he starts doubting himself or goes through an existential crisis? I'm not so sure about that. I wouldn't call him clinical, to be honest. He does have great positioning, he's a great athlete, he's an absolute pro in terms of looking after himself - but for me, I'm not sold on his technical ability at that price. We all saw what happened to his form last season, and that's probably due to defenders working him out as much as anything.

There are a lot of things to consider with a player, but we can't afford to sign someone for 40m odd who isn't guaranteed to be a success and I really don't think Abraham is a sure thing. 

• Like 4