Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

6 hours ago, useless said:

Aaron Hickey started following Aston Villa, Grealish and McGinn on instagram, if anything can be read into that.

Probably heard about the birds and cheps they’re smashing in Ibiza, and like any normal 18 year old wants in. 

Edited by villan-scott

7 hours ago, Okonokos said:

He's really not anywhere near that level. He'd be decent for us in our current position but he's never going to be a top level striker.

I think he can be, why don’t you think he can be a top level striker? I think he’s class

I think defensive players/improvement is a key area to strengthen this summer. I know we looked a lot more solid after lockdown, but we still conceded some rubbish goals, like Gayle’s, Theo Walcott’s, Wolves goal, the West Ham goal. 
I do think we need to strengthen in attack but defence needs work too. 
Hard to know where to start though, as I really like Guilbert, Targett, Konsa, Mings and I like Engels too, I even think Elmo is a very competent RB who has served us well. (Whisper it, but I do like Taylor too and think he is better than his reputation).

I do think though, if we start next season with Guilbert, Konsa, Mings, Targett as our back four then we’ll struggle. Unfortunately I think it’s Guilbert and Konsa who are probably the weaker of those four, and we need extra competition for the places. Probably with an experienced PL CB and the same at RB. It’s a shame though as I’m enjoying watching Konsa develop, and I like Guilbert’s attitude. 

• Like 2

Dunno if any of these players have been mentioned yet:

Andre Silva - 12 goals in 25 games, only started 16 games, stepping into the second year of a 2 year loan in Frankfurt from Milan, dunno if the loan can be terminated earlier.
Adrian Hunou - Doesn’t start every game but scored 8 goals in 1209 minutes of playing time, translating into a 0.6 goals per 90
Chimy Avila - Scoring day in day out before his 6-month injury in Jan. I’d stay away on players that just got out of injury, dunno what you guys think.
Yussuf Poulsen - Was superb a year ago but his form dipped this year. Also he’s Danish.

23 minutes ago, hong0311 said:

Dunno if any of these players have been mentioned yet:

Andre Silva - 12 goals in 25 games, only started 16 games, stepping into the second year of a 2 year loan in Frankfurt from Milan, dunno if the loan can be terminated earlier.
Adrian Hunou - Doesn’t start every game but scored 8 goals in 1209 minutes of playing time, translating into a 0.6 goals per 90
Chimy Avila - Scoring day in day out before his 6-month injury in Jan. I’d stay away on players that just got out of injury, dunno what you guys think.
Yussuf Poulsen - Was superb a year ago but his form dipped this year. Also he’s Danish.

Great player but no chance he would leave Leipzig.

4 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Bologna have a sister club in MLS - Montreal Impact, who recently signed a promising Spurs u18 defender.  Wouldn't be surprised if part of the pitch is for him to play there for a year or two. Thierry Henry is the coach.

I think the MLS needs to be looked at more in general. There are a hell of a lot of good American players playing in the Bundesliga, all picked up for next to nothing. Also the clubs there have changed their policy somewhat from the big stars on one last payday to recruiting promising players from Central and South America and selling them on for profit. The old stars will still be there but not as many as before. It's definitely something that we should look at.

5 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I rate both Guilbert and Targett highly myself, don't think it's a urgent position to fill. 

Considering Targetts injury history and how poor our backups are, I just have to disagree on that. 

I'm not even sure Targett is much better than Guilbert, but that's beside the point. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Arsenal are willing to let bellerin go. He is better than all our rbs. I think he would be a good option that wouldnt cost too much at rb

my old arsenal supporting next door neighbours will probably be happier about this than they are about winning the cup...

they hate him with a  passion, once explained it to me and once id seen it I cant unsee it, attacking full back who doesn't attack, he plays the old wenger arsenal way, he'll get to the edge of the opponents box and then rather than looking to overlap the winger or beat a man to whip a cross in he'll slow the ball down and look for a pass inside and then kind of stop, he doesn't look for a give and go or anything

criminally overrated

37 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I rate both Guilbert and Targett highly myself, don't think it's a urgent position to fill. 

Agreed. I don't rate Taylor at all, but he's competent. There are other positions that are far more of a priority than fullback. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, punkymonkey666 said:

Joelinton and Haller were about the same money and Tammy is better imo

Jesus that's some flawed logic right there! 

These two are absolute shit and a waste of £40 million, so anyone decent should be worth £40 million...

No, those two were just spectacular waste of money

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Considering Targetts injury history and how poor our backups are, I just have to disagree on that. 

I'm not even sure Targett is much better than Guilbert, but that's beside the point. 

when Taylor came in for injured targett I don't think he did much wrong tbf. Our worst positions by far our are wingers and striker if we only have a certain amount to spend id much rather just go big on those positions and get some real quality in. 

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I think defensive players/improvement is a key area to strengthen this summer. I know we looked a lot more solid after lockdown, but we still conceded some rubbish goals, like Gayle’s, Theo Walcott’s, Wolves goal, the West Ham goal. 
I do think we need to strengthen in attack but defence needs work too. 
Hard to know where to start though, as I really like Guilbert, Targett, Konsa, Mings and I like Engels too, I even think Elmo is a very competent RB who has served us well. (Whisper it, but I do like Taylor too and think he is better than his reputation).

I do think though, if we start next season with Guilbert, Konsa, Mings, Targett as our back four then we’ll struggle. Unfortunately I think it’s Guilbert and Konsa who are probably the weaker of those four, and we need extra competition for the places. Probably with an experienced PL CB and the same at RB. It’s a shame though as I’m enjoying watching Konsa develop, and I like Guilbert’s attitude. 

I'm alot more confident in our defence than I am in our Wingers strikers and some midfielders, I mean excluding Luiz and Grealish then I certainly think we need to upgrade front line and midfield more. Have said many a time that if those positions started working better then the defence would also be less strained, also making less mistakes. Post lockdown proved that once players in front of defence started working better that the defence would be bombarded less and would allow less daft goals in.

So I'm opposite to you as I think before lockdown teams were backing us up for 60-70 mins a time and to be fair they did work pretty darn well. It's just the defence needed a hand to take some of the opposition play away and free pressure and Luiz was that answer after lockdown, even Hourihane had started to intercept very nice.

The main answer is to get players in for the players we feel were not working at all. Ghazi and Samatta for instance were wasted players and alot others time it must of felt to the rest that they were playing with 9 men. That's a large handicap given to the opponents, its priority that needs desperate attention and think Smith n co know it.

I really would pay most attention to up front but I do agree that it would also be nice to fetch an experienced or two defender in. Maybe a right back and left back that can cut crosses out far faster than what our players have been able to. If we sell Taylor which I think we will i think then we would certainly buy a left back, if we see Elmo leave then you know a right backs coming in to replace.

I do not know what the squad limit is overall, chelsea have 40 + players dont they?? If true then we can certainly keep some to add more players as well have 20+ right?? Villa squad needs more competition and fight so players if they are lacking has someone else stepping up. I would however sell Samatta, Ghazi, Lansbury and Nakamba and Taylor, that's five instant replacements we would need then additions on top of them. I still think it's going to be another sizable signing session somehow  It maybe wont be as big as the 14 or so players we signed this season gone, but we could end up with six to nine players providing we do sell anyone which Smith may choose not to do at all and just decide to fill the overall squad up more.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1