Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

The "premier league experience" requirement i keep seeing.  Our squad now HAS premier league experience. Mings,konsa, luis et all all have 12 months under their belts now. I dont think it is as much of a requirement now as it probably should have been last year. 

Bring on the exciting foreign signings!

• Like 1

Who are the strongest or most likely links to date?

To me it looks like Olsen or Riena in goal, McCarthy, Origi and perhaps Bienramha plus another CB or DCM?

Again in my view Abraham, Buendia and similar seem unlikely 

Hopefully a few youngsters for the academy (which needs to deliver one or two first team squad players)

From experience we tend to get over-excited in the transfer window - some could end up disappointed 

I'd be very surprised if we could find another striker capable of virtually guaranteeing as many goals as Tammy would (yeah I know there aren't any guarantees in football).  If there's a sniff of a chance we would be mad not to go for it imo. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Who are the strongest or most likely links to date?

To me it looks like Olsen or Riena in goal, McCarthy, Origi and perhaps Bienramha plus another CB or DCM?

Again in my view Abraham, Buendia and similar seem unlikely 

Hopefully a few youngsters for the academy (which needs to deliver one or two first team squad players)

From experience we tend to get over-excited in the transfer window - some could end up disappointed 

Well last season not one journalist or ITK picked any of our signings. So safe to say the first set of rumours are wide of the mark. 

39 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I guess the question is.... who is the player we need if not Tammy? 

I don't know. But £40m would open up a lot of options. I doubt Tammy is the best one

• Like 1

The Sun are linking us to Origi.  Hard to believe though. 

Must be on enormous wages, and he would surely see it as a massive step down to joining us. 

That said his scoring record is not very impressive. 19 goals in 91 appearances for a rampant Liverpool side. Less than 1 in 4 on loan at Lille and not a lot to speak of elsewhere.  Not sure I would be happy with this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't know. But £40m would open up a lot of options. I doubt Tammy is the best one

How many £40m strikers would join us though? Tammy has a connection, the owners and Smith would have to sell one hell of a vision for another striker of that kind of value to join us.

Not that I think for 1 second Tammy is leaving Chelsea anyway. 

£40M for Abraham would be well worth it, if he'd have been our team last season we would have been comfortably midtable. If signing better than him was for less was that easy everyone would be doing it, I suspect that Chelsea would actually want more than £40m, I also suspect that if he did become available teams better positioned than us would be interested in signing him. Would be a stupendous signing to a great degree.

Assuming that the following is the positions we definitely need, who would be your first (realistic) choice for each position:

CB
MF
RW
LW
CF

In addition, I think we may need a new LB and maybe a backup GK but I have left them out for now as they are not priority.

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Tammy Abraham at 40m is a no brainer - as many have already stated.
We could go out and spend 30m on a better striker from abroad but why take the risk? Tammy knows the club, the players and scores goals. He's not perfect, his touch sometimes gets away from him and his finishing can improve but for 40m, you're getting a 22yr old who's good enough at this level and will only get better.

Would be a fantastic signing. No question. 

Buy cheap - Buy twice. 

Bang on mate. Would absolutely love him back here

I honestly don't think Chelsea wants to sell Tammy nor that he wants to leave.

They might be up for selling or loaning Michy Batshuayi, he wouldn't be my first choice thou

Belgium Michy Batshuayi GIF - Belgium MichyBatshuayi Batshuayi - Discover &  Share GIFs

Edited by sne
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, LockStockVilla said:

Speaking from the perspective of a Hearts and Villa supporter, Hearts' position is not quite as precarious as you make it out to be. Supporters pump a decent amount of money into the club each month and the club also has several wealthy benefactors who are quite generous in their contributions. That said, the prevailing feeling is that Hickey will be sold this summer. Rumor is he has already been over to Italy (too see Bologna?) and will be going over to Munich shortly. If the opportunity to go to Bayern is on the table, he would be mad to pass it up. I'd love him at Villa though and with only a year left to run on his contract, he is gettable for likely around the 1/1.5m mark, which is a pittance. By no means do I believe he is ready to be in our matchday squad quite yet though. Best case scenario is to buy him, then loan him back and let him start this coming season for additional experience. Definitely a talented player and still incredibly young, but he needs to be getting regular gametime in order to progress as this past season there was a bit of inconsistency in his play which one would expect from a player of his age. He'll always be a legend for this goal:

Joining bayern wouldn't be a good career move for him in my opinion. Hickey only needs to ask Ryan Gauld how difficult it is to break into a big European side. Bayern have Alphonso Davies there at LB and most likely someone else there too. He'll be bought and put in there B team in bundesliga 3, then loaned out,  and before he'll know it he's 23 or 24 and never kicked a ball for the first team.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, lexicon said:

My thoughts re: Tammy: 

When we were in the championship we were a super attacking side and created a ton of chances. Abraham scored quite a lot but he probably missed more. The thing that worries me a little about him is that at the moment, one of his strengths is his mental fortitude - he really believes in himself and that's great, but it's also something that he could lose as time goes on. Does he really have the natural talent to fall back on if he starts doubting himself or goes through an existential crisis? I'm not so sure about that. I wouldn't call him clinical, to be honest. He does have great positioning, he's a great athlete, he's an absolute pro in terms of looking after himself - but for me, I'm not sold on his technical ability at that price. We all saw what happened to his form last season, and that's probably due to defenders working him out as much as anything.

There are a lot of things to consider with a player, but we can't afford to sign someone for 40m odd who isn't guaranteed to be a success and I really don't think Abraham is a sure thing. 

Very fair concerns.

Allow me to try and alleviate them by showing you in terms of xG our attack was better than Newcastle, Sheff Utd, Burnley and Tottenham.

We were really poor last season. Very very poor. Rubbish most of the time.

We're going to go into this season with a better team undoubtedly. He'll get chances IMO.

You're right about his professionalism and self-belief, plus we know about his on the field work-rate. Even if he scores less than 10 goals, he'll be contributing so much to our play.

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s a tricky one. 40 million is a hell of a lot money. It could get you a Tammy or a Joelinton! 

I personally would be happy with Tammy at 40 million. 

I'd be worried about spending £40m on anyone from outside the league. There are players good enough, no doubt. I don't think we're capable of attracting them. We'd be overpaying to secure a player wanted by others and I'd be worried. 

However, it's very easy not to buy bad players so fingers crossed.

Tbh I'm not sure Chelsea would sell Tammy for £40m so most of this chat is futile. I hope their Havertz move happens very soon so the chances increase.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ronk-villa said:

The "premier league experience" requirement i keep seeing.  Our squad now HAS premier league experience. Mings,konsa, luis et all all have 12 months under their belts now. I dont think it is as much of a requirement now as it probably should have been last year. 

Bring on the exciting foreign signings!

Is it not experience in England which is being reported, and not only Premier League?

The Iheanacho links excite me a bit more than Tammy if I'm perfectly honest.

I think he's a lot different to our other strikers, which is what we need, he'd be cheaper and I'd argue he's got just as much potential as Tammy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think he can be, why don’t you think he can be a top level striker? I think he’s class

I don't think he has natural footballing ability. He looks like Bambi on ice when he runs. He misses A LOT of chances. You generally need to create about 5 chances for him to score 1. Take him out of that Chelsea side and put him in a struggling side and you'll soon see that 15 goals he got this season turn probably into about 5.

Timo Werner is an example of a world class young talent. Can you honestly imagine Abraham doing the things he can do? Can you imaging Abraham collecting the ball out wide, dribbling past 3 defenders and curling it into the top corner from the edge of the area? Not a chance. In fact I'm pretty sure Abraham has never scored from outside the area. He lacks the technical ability. To me, he just doesn't look a natural footballer.

He would cost us at least £40m and I can promise you we would be able to find much, much better value out there. I'm not totally against signing him as I think it would convince Grealish to stay as they seem very close. And Abraham would fit in well. But a world class young striker he is absolutely not.

I think long term his level will be mid table Premier League at best. What have you seen that makes you think he's one of the best young strikers in the world?

• Like 1