Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Whatever people think of Tammy ability wise people just need to accept that £40m is no longer really big money in the Premier League. Certainly not for strikers.

I wonder if the effects of Covi will change things? I mean clubs must be looking at the TV money and wondering whether it's going to drop because of games being played with no one there, and the "offering" being less attractive. Sure in the very short term there is a deal in place, but if telly money drops, then the whole house of cards will come tumbling down. So there are 2 imperatives pulling in different directions.

I can see the Euro-telly league clubs like Man City etc still spending big for a while, but the rest? Less sure. 

6 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I don't think he has natural footballing ability. He looks like Bambi on ice when he runs. He misses A LOT of chances. You generally need to create about 5 chances for him to score 1. Take him out of that Chelsea side and put him in a struggling side and you'll soon see that 15 goals he got this season turn probably into about 5.

Timo Werner is an example of a world class young talent. Can you honestly imagine Abraham doing the things he can do? Can you imaging Abraham collecting the ball out wide, dribbling past 3 defenders and curling it into the top corner from the edge of the area? Not a chance. In fact I'm pretty sure Abraham has never scored from outside the area. He lacks the technical ability. To me, he just doesn't look a natural footballer.

He would cost us at least £40m and I can promise you we would be able to find much, much better value out there. I'm not totally against signing him as I think it would convince Grealish to stay as they seem very close. And Abraham would fit in well. But a world class young striker he is absolutely not.

I think long term his level will be mid table Premier League at best. What have you seen that makes you think he's one of the best young strikers in the world?

And how much was werner ? If he is considered far superior, why would we be paying close to what he cost for tammy  ?

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The Iheanacho links excite me a bit more than Tammy if I'm perfectly honest.

I think he's a lot different to our other strikers, which is what we need, he'd be cheaper and I'd argue he's got just as much potential as Tammy.

I think he is more like what Samatta is/was meant to be.

17 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Whatever people think of Tammy ability wise people just need to accept that £40m is no longer really big money in the Premier League. Certainly not for strikers.

Things changed dramatically in the 3 years we were away and even after last season I don’t think some of our fans have caught up.

I have some reservations about Tammy, love him though I do, but it would represent very sensible business at that fee. You know what you are getting with him, it removes an element of risk from the signing.

It is absolutely true that a better player at a similar or better price may be available but those signings are more of a gamble. For every Benteke there are probably three Joelinton‘a.

Tammy at that money would be a safe bet, a known quantity signings from abroad would be more risky.

I don’t though think Tammy will leave Chelsea this summer in any case.

Just briefly looking at the data, it showed me 15 players defined as strikers had ever been bought in the PL for more than £ 40 million. Of those only 2 have gone outside the usual suspects. I read that list very fast, so might be some errors in there both ways, but £ 40 million is big big money for any player for teams outside the CL funds. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

2 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

And how much was werner ? If he is considered far superior, why would we be paying close to what he cost for tammy  ?

Werner had a clause in his contract. Chelsea got a £100million player for £50million.

And English clubs don't sell young English players to other English clubs cheaply. Over-inflated prices.

Trust me, Werner is FAR superior to Abraham. Although, I have my doubts whether Fat Frank will get the best out of him.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 2

Just now, brummybloke said:

Werner had a release clause. Bayern came sniffing, essentially he signed a bumper new contract with a low release clause as long he he didn't go to Bayern. 

He's an elite striker, Chelsea worked wonders imo. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pas5898 said:

Werner had a release clause. Bayern came sniffing, essentially he signed a bumper new contract with a low release clause as long he he didn't go to Bayern. 

He's an elite striker, Chelsea worked wonders imo. 

It's quite funny. A lot of people here in Germany don't rate him. I don't see why they don't. I think he is very good but some friends of mine were lauhging at the transfer fee saying Chelsea got done.

45 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Well last season not one journalist or ITK picked any of our signings. So safe to say the first set of rumours are wide of the mark. 

So you feel we can safely discount Origi, Reina and McCarthy rumours?

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

When you think we spent around 32m on wes and samatta. 40m for tanny is mo contest 

You have to consider it's a possibility that Wes and Samatta aren't actually worth more than £ 15 million combined and we overpaid. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Well reina doesn't really count as he's played for us, but the other two I think are lazy journalism.

Last season nobody picked a thing. Or was remotely close. 

I think this transfer window will be more difficult than some imagine. As is generally the case, there’s a pecking order. Everyone has to wait whilst the established top 5-6 clubs hoover up the best picks, then the rest of us can fight over the lower hanging fruit. Without overpaying I think we’ll have to be very patient, and I don’t envisage us being  big overpayers. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

It's quite funny. A lot of people here in Germany don't rate him. I don't see why they don't. I think he is very good but some friends of mine were lauhging at the transfer fee saying Chelsea got done.

He is quick, technically good and puts the ball in the back of the net. He's also proved. 

When 40 million gets you joelinton and half of Harry maguire he's a steal. 

8 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

We'll finally end up with Benni McCarthy wont we? :D