• Samatta
    • Grealish
    • Engels (Konza 45)
    • Davis (El Ghazi 58)
    • Trézéguet (Nakamba 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/02/20 at 23:59

1 minute ago, villakram said:

Very lucky with how results went today. Not overly surprising that we laid an egg given our midweek exertions.

Davis is not the answer to any question we should be asking.

Every single time we win, they win, we lose, they lose.

Pissing away all our opportunities only the way we can,

Back to reality with a bump.

It was a poor performance, but I thought we still did enough for a point. Credit to Bournemouth for managing to hold on, they were very organised at the back and broke down everything we threw at them. Especially Billing, who controlled the midfield all day, even after Lerma had been sent off.

I wish we had more patience when going forwards, the amount of aimless balls forward from Mings and Hause which gave possession away was so frustrating. I know that Bournemouth had a good press in the first half, but even when the press relented towards the end of the game they were still pumping long balls into Samatta. There was no plan B for the latter stages and Smith has to hold his hands up for that. He cost himself an early sub by bringing on Engels, which I don't think he had to do, and then limited himself in how late he could bring on Trezeguet as a result. That alone didn't cost us the game but it was poor game management.

On the positive side, Samatta got his first goal on his league debut and at last we have an aerial threat for the millions of crosses a game we put in the box. Davis also looked sharp when coming on and is probably pushing Samatta for a starting position, though I think he's best in a 2 striker formation. Plus, given other results we stay out of the relegation zone - just. 

Villa have got plenty of work to do before the Spurs game - just as well they've got plenty of time to do it. UTV

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

It wasn't even a foul. Grealish literally ran in to him.

Obstruction then. How many times have attackers run in to defenders got a free kick and yellow against their man? Modern game im afraid.

Just now, penguin said:

Of course but things don’t exist in a vacuum.

Their goal keeper made some good stops, got away with clocking our player and got lucky with deflection from the Grealish shot to his nuts. Our players didn’t capitalise on chances and our GK was shit. It all adds up to “luck” which I’ve not even explicitly mentioned 

I wouldn't necessarily consider that luuck. Not capitalizing on chances can just be our players being poor, not necessarily bad luck and I could juust as easily name incidents on the other side too. Bournemouth didn't deserve that red and they probably shouuld've made it 3-1 at the end there but they didn't "capitalize on chances". It works both ways,

Bad day at the office, but other results have somewhat softened the blow (for me).

In hindsight Nyland may have kept his place looking at the goals conceded (but no-one in the pre-match thread called for this). In fact the majority of fans were happy with the starting line up, so no fault to Smith for that. But I do question is in-play substitutions today. 

Think we should give a little credit to Bournemouth, they made it a scrap and worked tirelessly, our game in midweek definitely had an affect on our performance.

Not wanting to single anyone out (I'm going to) but Guilbert was absolutely dreadful today and our right hand side was a non entity all game.

Positives; we're all deflated so not many but trying to find some positivity;

Samagoal off the mark, showed some nice touches. Davis did well when he came on, he will have a part to play in our run in. We have a third striker waiting in the wings. We have 2 weeks now to get the new lads up to speed. We're not in the bottom 3. Other teams have let BIG leads slip. Lads will be trying to play themselves into a place at Wembley. We have easily the best player out of all the relegation-threatened sides in Jack.

We can still do this, despite today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

were just not very good! The players do not have the technical ability to  play the way he wants to play. 

I dont think that's true if I'm honest, I dont understand Dean's tactics because we have a few players who "should or could" be better on the ball.

I honestly wonder what they do in training all week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Obstruction then. How many times have attackers run in to defenders got a free kick and yellow against their man? Modern game im afraid.

There's a difference between obsruction and standing your ground. Mings literally provided an example of it in the first half in the penalty box. 

Thought Mings looked like a pub player.

and how can Guilbert play sooo badly. I’m not sure he has the mentality for premier league.  Douglas luiz isn’t better than Drinkwater either.

El Ghazi has been rubbish for weeks. 

Kienan Davis looked quality to me.

I've listened to it on WM today and they were completely convinced on the sending off - they felt that it was clear and obvious and a stupid decision by the player that fully merited a second yellow..

They mentioned that Engels had to take a blow from the keeper to put his header over the bar, but didn't so much as whisper the words "foul" or "penalty".

I haven't seen either, but that's not the conclusion I'm hearing here.

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

People have been obsessing over strikers, and as i've said, even through the Wesley slagging, if you can;t defend and your midfield is weak, it doesn't matter!

I've been more concerned about another Left sided CB, and a big, strong midfielder!

We have too many airy fairy players.

When recruiting, Suso and Smith severly under-estimated how physical the premier league is. You could see looking at the tunnel on day 1 at Spurs, comparing their side to ours - It was like men against boys. Yes, its important to play but you have to earn the right to do that by holding your own. The likes of Nakamba, Luiz, El ghazi, Conor etc can't do that away from home and we get bullied. With the signings in Jan they've done nothing to remedy that.

• Like 3

Â