• Samatta
    • Grealish
    • Engels (Konza 45)
    • Davis (El Ghazi 58)
    • Trézéguet (Nakamba 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/02/20 at 23:59

If we had lost.to Leicester I truly believe  we would have won this game. This team is very imature and it showed today. Douglas went missing as well as a few others .

What's the story with our center backs trying to spray 40 yard  balls ala Barasie?  Hause was all over one true place , **** knows why he's pushing into midfield when he's distribution is so poor, I have seen better at under 12  . But he's not the one to blame  .

Ref......dear me he was shit .sending off was wrong , never a second yellow. Their keepers assault on Engels was a sending off and a penalty, how it went though VAR should be explained, dreadful decision.....even worse than their sending off.,... UTV

4 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

When someone mis-times a tackle does that mean its not a foul?

No, it doesn't 

But, whilst i agree a penatly would be harsh, to the letter of the law, and in the context of your comparison, it should be a penalty.

What is the letter of the law out of interest? I would have thought a keeper could have thrown a punch at an incoming ball. 

I thought the substitution of trez for marvelous was very poor. Should have brought hourihane on and kept jack further up. Didn't see the point of jack picking up the ball from the defense. Hourihane could have done that job. Especially with them all behind the ball we needed a killer pass further up the pitch. Jack ain't going to do that from the halfway line.

Davis looked good once again when he came on. I'd be tempted to try play 5-3-2 with both samatta and davis upfront. He offers something different and then samatta can make the runs in behind. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

When someone mis-times a tackle does that mean its not a foul?

No, it doesn't 

I agree.  But also, when someone mistimes a tackle it doesn't mean it is a foul.  It may be, it may not.  If he was never likely to get the ball, or went in flailing wildly, I'd agree it would be a foul, but he had every chance of getting it, was clearly aiming at the ball, and didn't show undue aggression or use disproportionate force, in my view.  It also didn't affect that particular play - Engels got the header and missed, and the contact didn't affect either of those two things.

10 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

But, whilst i agree a penatly would be harsh, to the letter of the law, and in the context of your comparison, it should be a penalty.

So careless play rather than dangerous or reckless play?  That's a stronger argument than the red card view. 

I haven't seen any discussion of it other than on here.  I'd be interested in hearing a couple of refs outline their thinking on cases like this.  You want to minimise injuries, while allowing physical challenges and going for disputed balls.  Incidents like this are useful in showing what should and shouldn't be judged a foul.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

We are going down. Can't see how we survive.

Not sure about that, but i can't see us getting out of the mix, and steering clear.

if we survive, it will be by the skin of our teeth.

The things we don't do very well, seem to be major contributors of goals against, i can' t see that changing any time soon.

our organisation for their second was poor, players not tracking runners, was an obvious feature....like chickens with their heads chopped off.

Following the City result I've tried to avoid Villa and this forum, but yesterday's result could be it for us. Looking at our final 13 games it's difficult to see where our points will come from. Palace home, Newcastle away, West Ham away look most likely to get wins, but our away form is atrocious I'm not sure we'll manage more than a draw in those away games. All the top half teams are at home, Sheff U is the easiest on paper but their defence is so tough to break down. We're going to have to start taking points off the so-called bigger teams and top half teams, and we've shown no sign this season we can/will do that. McGinn coming back might give us a bit of a boost so we could perhaps carve our another couple of wins, but we are really in trouble and it really will be touch and go what happens. 

I watched some of the highlights yesterday and it shames me to see the only player of any consistent quality we have is Grealish. So many of the players we signed look ok/decent one week, then shocking the next. And our game plan is literally just to give the ball to Grealish. We are the very definition of a one-man team and guess what, that player cost us nothing. So many of our signings have just felt very disappointing, even Mings who I have a lot of respect for but whose mistakes have cost us on many occasions this season.

I still feel Smith is some way off being a good manager at this level (even if he has altered his tactics recently) and even if he keeps us up by the skin of his teeth I don't see how he can stay on because we'll be battling relegation again next season with him at the helm. We desperately need a Nuno-type manager who can identify and attract players who are capable of shining at this level and a set-up that keeps us within FFP boundaries. Wolves have probably spent less than us over the last 2/3 years and yet are miles better individually and tactically. It's ridiculously frustrating how easy they have made it look compared to our cock ups time and time again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

I thought the substitution of trez for marvelous was very poor. Should have brought hourihane on and kept jack further up. Didn't see the point of jack picking up the ball from the defense. Hourihane could have done that job. Especially with them all behind the ball we needed a killer pass further up the pitch. Jack ain't going to do that from the halfway line.

Davis looked good once again when he came on. I'd be tempted to try play 5-3-2 with both samatta and davis upfront. He offers something different and then samatta can make the runs in behind. 

I would agree with playing these two up front as we cannot seem to stop the goals flying at our end. Might as well push forward and try to out score teams as we are always going to be vulnerable in defence.

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Following the City result I've tried to avoid Villa and this forum, but yesterday's result could be it for us. Looking at our final 13 games it's difficult to see where our points will come from. Palace home, Newcastle away, West Ham away look most likely to get wins, but our away form is atrocious I'm not sure we'll manage more than a draw in those away games. All the top half teams are at home, Sheff U is the easiest on paper but their defence is so tough to break down. We're going to have to start taking points off the so-called bigger teams and top half teams, and we've shown no sign this season we can/will do that. McGinn coming back might give us a bit of a boost so we could perhaps carve our another couple of wins, but we are really in trouble and it really will be touch and go what happens. 

I watched some of the highlights yesterday and it shames me to see the only player of any consistent quality we have is Grealish. So many of the players we signed look ok/decent one week, then shocking the next. And our game plan is literally just to give the ball to Grealish. We are the very definition of a one-man team and guess what, that player cost us nothing. So many of our signings have just felt very disappointing, even Mings who I have a lot of respect for but whose mistakes have cost us on many occasions this season.

I still feel Smith is some way off being a good manager at this level (even if he has altered his tactics recently) and even if he keeps us up by the skin of his teeth I don't see how he can stay on because we'll be battling relegation again next season with him at the helm. We desperately need a Nuno-type manager who can identify and attract players who are capable of shining at this level and a set-up that keeps us within FFP boundaries. Wolves have probably spent less than us over the last 2/3 years and yet are miles better individually and tactically. It's ridiculously frustrating how easy they have made it look compared to our cock ups time and time again. 

I have to agree with everything you have written.

our defensive naivety will be our undoingas a team, and I can't see it changing.

2 minutes ago, Graham t said:

I would agree with playing these two up front as we cannot seem to stop the goals flying at our end. Might as well push forward and try to out score teams as we are always going to be vulnerable in defence.

Sadly, it rarely works like that.....our defensive capability as a team will send us down.

I think we have scored in most of our games, we just concede more, we have actually been here before.

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have to agree with everything you have written.

our defensive naivety will be our undoingas a team, and I can't see it changing.

Agreed. Defensively we are clearly a shambles - four clean sheets all season says it all.

The sad fact is things don’t seem to change at Villa under any owner or manager. This was supposed to be the start of a positive new era, but if we go down we’ll be right back in the thick of it once again. These owners have ambition but ultimately their spending looks to have been profligate rather than astute. Of course we needed to spend money, but we seemed to bring in players without any thought what their role would be in the team. Some of the players clearly lacked the quality at this level too, but much of it is bad coaching (I suspect players like Luiz and a few others will end being good but probably at our expense rather than with us). Just look at Traore and what proper coaching than bring out of players. 

Whether we escape relegation or not, there has to be changes in the coaching, management and transfers come the summer. We cannot continue to keep getting ourselves in a mess as it will kill us.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Agreed. Defensively we are clearly a shambles - four clean sheets all season says it all.

The sad fact is things don’t seem to change at Villa under any owner or manager. This was supposed to be the start of a positive new era, but if we go down we’ll be right back in the thick of it once again. These owners have ambition but ultimately their spending looks to have been profligate rather than astute. Of course we needed to spend money, but we seemed to bring in players without any thought what their role would be in the team. Some of the players clearly lacked the quality at this level too, but much of it is bad coaching (I suspect players like Luiz and a few others will end being good but probably at our expense rather than with us). Just look at Traore and what proper coaching than bring out of players. 

Whether we escape relegation or not, there has to be changes in the coaching, management and transfers come the summer. We cannot continue to keep getting ourselves in a mess as it will kill us.

Bang on the money, for me.

I would think very few will agree......we all want to talk it up......but the match day evidence is there.

we concede goals that encourage opponents.

I think there is more questions than answers.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

I've already conceded relegation, so it'll be a big bonus if we don't go down.

Losing twice to what is in a reality a shit team like Booooooooorenmouth makes us favs for the drop.

Be interested to see how we get on against Man Ure at home. We haven't beaten them at home since 1996, even when we were decent.

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

I've already conceded relegation, so it'll be a big bonus if we don't go down.

Losing twice to what is in a reality a shit team like Booooooooorenmouth makes us favs for the drop.

Be interested to see how we get on against Man Ure at home. We haven't beaten them at home since 1996, even when we were decent.

If we can find performances that we did against Leicester, we can stay up for sure.

but the inconsistency is so stark, is frightening.

I wouldn't have clue, where we will end up.....but if we go down, ithink it will be worse than some fans think.

Just rewatched the highlights on VillaTV 21 mins worth and have to say we looked a lot better than we did when I originally watched it. My stream went a few times and I obviously missed a few of our chances.

We had a fair few in fairness and were unlucky to only score once.

Guilbert with a bit of composure first half from El Ghazis ball could have braught that ball down and done a lot better than going for glory with a left foot volley. Then the ball across from Freddie gets a nick off their defender to stop it from going to Jack for a tap-in. Jack whipped two great balls in, one behind Douglas, the other hitting the post. Then he had that chance at the end of the half that went through Ramsdales legs but still ricocheted wide.

2nd half they blocked off the line from Targett, Nakamba had 2 decent chances but cant strike a football, both would have been perfect for Conor. Should have had a pen from the Engels punch. Then the goal. Keinan then should have had a pen after that charge in the back (was not shoulder to shoulder). KD shot straight at keeper when through. 

We had our chances, a lot more than I realised watching live. Unlucky to not have got at least a draw from that. Jack was brilliant again although I thought his one error in judgement, which is rare for him, was not slipping AEG in when he cut back in and had his shot blocked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Just rewatched the highlights on VillaTV 21 mins worth and have to say we looked a lot better than we did when I originally watched it. My stream went a few times and I obviously missed a few of our chances.

We had a fair few in fairness and were unlucky to only score once.

Guilbert with a bit of composure first half from El Ghazis ball could have braught that ball down and done a lot better than going for glory with a left foot volley. Then the ball across from Freddie gets a nick off their defender to stop it from going to Jack for a tap-in. Jack whipped two great balls in, one behind Douglas, the other hitting the post. Then he had that chance at the end of the half that went through Ramsdales legs but still ricocheted wide.

2nd half they blocked off the line from Targett, Nakamba had 2 decent chances but cant strike a football, both would have been perfect for Conor. Should have had a pen from the Engels punch. Then the goal. Keinan then should have had a pen after that charge in the back (was not shoulder to shoulder). KD shot straight at keeper when through. 

We had our chances, a lot more than I realised watching live. Unlucky to not have got at least a draw from that. Jack was brilliant again although I thought his one error in judgement, which is rare for him, was not slipping AEG in when he cut back in and had his shot blocked.

Yup 60% possension 18 shots on goal , should have been awarded a penalty 

I watched all of the game and it was poor and annoyingly frustrating.

Having watched us against Watford and the two games against Leicester i was highly optimistic. Thinking if we play like that against Bournemouth we can get three points, play like it for the rest of the season and we will not be relegated.

Well, i was bought back down to earth with a big bump. We went back into awful mode where we could not pass a ball, could not compete physically, could not cross a ball, could not shoot on target and yet again could not defend.

Too many players were not at the required standard. You can get away with one or two having an off day but when that balance is tipped to seven/eight having an off day there is no where to hide. It's all too familiar this season hence why where we are.

I have given Dean Smith a very poor in the match poll. Once Bournemouth had gone down to ten men he got the tactics totally wrong. We were chasing the game and did not need to play 3/5 at the back. Hause should have gone off for Davis. Five at the back was just not required, 

We are not relegated on the back of this result but we are in one hell of a scrap where our home form will have to save us as we are truly atrocious on our travels. We are the only team not to keep a clean sheet away from home in the premiership. Quite a damming stat that is.

We can do it, but we need the Villa who played against Leicester, Burnley and Watford to turn up far more often than they are !!!! 

• Like 1

Â