• Samatta
    • Grealish
    • Engels (Konza 45)
    • Davis (El Ghazi 58)
    • Trézéguet (Nakamba 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/02/20 at 23:59

Too many didn't show today, Nakamba looked like a different player to the semi final in particular but so did Luiz. What had worked so well at home just fell flat away. Defenders all nervy maybe picking up on Mings' performance back at Bournemouth. Reina not exactly amazing but the three center backs were not helping. Samatta didn't get many chances but scored on league debut. Davis not ready to start, not great when he came on. The list goes on and on.

They are young though and consistency isn't exactly a well known trait with young players.

Poor today in many ways, you could see Smith and Terry and O'Kelly talking and they didn't quite believe it, you could see why with so many having an off day, two or three more actually turn up, ONE of Luiz or Nakamba has a good game for example, and it might have been different. Should have got a goal first half, could easily have had a couple but for bad luck and not being clinical enough. As bad as we were we had the chances for a point.

Chin up though looks like we need the VP crowd with us to get the points we need at home. We wasted a big chance today but it wasn't our last chance by a long stretch.

Just now, penguin said:

Burgled was perhaps a little strong.

Cant agree we deserved to lose though. Lerma’s red feels somewhat cancelled out by Engels not getting a penalty and their goal keeper made numerous saves whilst ours was atrocious. 

So we didn't desrve to lose and it was unfair because their player was better than our player? :D

If I had to pick conceding a penalty, or being 1 man up for over half an hour, I think I'd pick it being 11vs11.

Gone back to gutless.

Worst game from fred, and when you have players who have zero physical presence and play at 1 mile per hour then you struggle, he seemed to have been training with our dynamic duo in centre midfield on todays performance. 

Luiz utter dog dirt today, seems more interested in trying to keep his stats high for passing by just passing it backwards instead of holding it and moving it forwards. 

Hause has the distribution of a blind epileptic half way through a fit. Why no one gives him a centre option from midfield I really do not know.

Nakamba was dire, mings was shocking today.

Only players who did anything worthwhile were

Jack

Engels

Targett

Samatta

Davis

The rest, well, I can only shake my head gently, you know, like putting in the same effort as our midfield did today.

Time to put luiz back in his subs box and get drinkwater playing again. Cant afford centre midfield going hiding again. No direction, no shape or discipline.

1 minute ago, zab6359 said:

Why wasn't Drinkwater in the match day team? Why did Douglas Luiz start? This game was my post January barometer of where we are at and well meh!!!!!!

Every man and his dog wanted Luiz starting over Drinkwater until we lose

• Like 4

Poor, sloppy.....why are we just sloppy so often.  Worst result acceptable today should’ve been a draw but no we give away a two goal easy start to Bournemouth. 

Glad Samatta got his first goal, the only positive from this game.

1 minute ago, penguin said:

Burgled was perhaps a little strong.

Cant agree we deserved to lose though. Lerma’s red feels somewhat cancelled out by Engels not getting a penalty and their goal keeper made numerous saves whilst ours was atrocious. 

Well then you could say we deserve to lose precisely because our goal keeper was atrocious. I mean, the goalkeeper is still part of the team after all. Its not really the same as us being unlucky due to outside forces.

Horrible performance, Grealish must surely be getting fed up now.. I would be.

Targett & Grealish linked up well and Davis did well again when he came on. Not sure how their goalie stayed on the pitch for punching Engels in the face, but I guess Lermur was incorrectly sent off. Smith and Co need to sort this out cos we are running out of games

didn’t expect such a shockingly bad performance after such a positive couple of weeks, but that’s villa in a nutshell. If we can’t beat Bournemouth or even look remotely threatening against their 10 men we really are doomed. We need 5 wins and have lost our first winnable game. Relegation very likely

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Id love to know Smiths reasoning for taking off Anwar when Davis was bought on.

Surely playing a nervous relegation threatened team, who were never going to commit men forward, taking Hause off was the only option?

Love the bloke but you need to be more proactive in these situations!

the entire right side had offered nothing all game.  needed more attacking being behind.  AEG was accomplishing nothing.  Put on a forward that might produce (and did) for a forward that was producing nothing.  when you are playing three at the back and take off a defender for a forward you basically commit to dropping back to 4 at the back which was not at all what we needed.  We needed more production up front not more bodies at the back.  I can't read DS mind or anything, but that's my reasoning.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

We scored a header, we are not in bottom 3, should be beating these minnows but sometimes everyone except Grealish is a 4/10 and its not your day, 100% penalty vs Engels and Engels looks better then Konza, recall Chester now!

fixed

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Why wasn't Drinkwater in the match day team? Why did Douglas Luiz start? This game was my post January barometer of where we are at and well meh!!!!!!

Drinkwater is awful.  Im perfectly happy with him out of the squad.  Biggest liability we have.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Yeah red card and penalty all day, 2-1 playing against 9 men we win from there.

1. It wouldn't be a red. It was an honest attempt to play the ball. At worst it was a pen and a yellow

2. It was literally 1 minute after one of the worst refereeing decisions of the season to reduce Bournemouth to 10 men.

• Like 1

Â