• Samatta
    • Grealish
    • Engels (Konza 45)
    • Davis (El Ghazi 58)
    • Trézéguet (Nakamba 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/02/20 at 23:59

People have been obsessing over strikers, and as i've said, even through the Wesley slagging, if you can;t defend and your midfield is weak, it doesn't matter!

I've been more concerned about another Left sided CB, and a big, strong midfielder!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

The first 10-15 minutes were theirs then up until they scored I thought we should have been out of sight but our crossing was poor today we kept hitting the first defender. VAR again has cost us a few decisions although their red card wasn’t deserved. 

We barely touched the ball for most of the first half. I think there was an alternate timeline where we put away another of those chances after the red card and the self-belief of the team (and fans) continued to grow, leaving us well placed for the tough games we have coming up ... but it didn't happen.

Problem now is that we're going to need to nick some unlikely points against the bigger teams if we're going to stay up. I still believe we'll do it - particularly as both Samatta and Davis looked tidy - but we've made life a lot harder for ourselves today.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 2

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Well then you could say we deserve to lose precisely because our goal keeper was atrocious. I mean, the goalkeeper is still part of the team after all. Its not really the same as us being unlucky due to outside forces.

Of course but things don’t exist in a vacuum.

Their goal keeper made some good stops, got away with clocking our player and got lucky with deflection from the Grealish shot to his nuts. Our players didn’t capitalise on chances and our GK was shit. It all adds up to “luck” which I’ve not even explicitly mentioned 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

A decent second half, I thought Keinan Davis was excellent - but if you have a 45 minute holiday in big games, you don't win.

We need to have a good look at ourselves because we'll need to work very hard now to pick up the points we need - we're still in this - there are five teams competing not to be in the two spots to go down with Norwich - and we've got to win that fight.

We've given Bournemouth a massive confidence boost while we spend two weeks staring at our shoes - that won't help a bit.

We are good enough to stay up -we're not good enough for much else and if we do stay up we'll need to spend at least as much as last summer again - but we can do this.

On an almost unrelated note, does anyone have access to a thirteen week supply of Beta blockers at all?

Cant disagree more.

Theres not passion, desire or fight in this team, bar jg.  Without him, we would be rock bottom of this league.

The manager, players, coaching staff, recruitment team have all done poorly.

Ultimately, its DS that has to hold his hands up.  I dont see anything but relegation for us as the players weve brought in, on the whole, just arent right for a relegation fight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nokesy said:

We need 5 wins and have lost our first winnable game. Relegation very likely

The average to stay up last 10 seasons is 36. 4 wins gets us to 37pts. More pressure on to get result against Spurs. Watford West Ham and Brighton results went in our favour

If we had been sligthly more clinical...

...but same goes for Bournemouth. Also playing again against 10 men for 30+ min without being able to capitalize on it really illustrates our inability to take advantage of possession. This needs to be addressed! Practice movement and passing ffs! I know we prefer counterattacking but if we don't press ( and we don't) then these sorts of results will happen more often than not.

Edited by osmark86

This was a bottom of the table battle and we were outfought - sometimes literally - in the first half. We made a very poor start to the match.

We perked up a bit when they went down to 10 men and we scored - good to see Samatta get his first goal - but not for the first time we failed to take advantage against a 10-man side. Why does Smith find this so difficult?

The BBC Sports App commentary made a good point, that we retained 3 at the back even though they were down to 10 men and were only playing Wilson up front. So our extra man wasn’t being used productively. In effect, we were playing 7 against 9.

Not sure what the stats would show - are we the premier league team who have played most matches against 10 men and have we failed to win any of these  matches? It seems that way.

Thankfully all the other results went our way so today was not as damaging as it might have been but a poor performance all round, including from the manager. Let’s hope Samatta keeps the goal habit from now on.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

1. It wouldn't be a red. It was an honest attempt to play the ball. At worst it was a pen and a yellow

2. It was literally 1 minute after one of the worst refereeing decisions of the season to reduce Bournemouth to 10 men.

Their player got two yellows for persistent fouling. Hardly worst decision of the season. Getting punched in the face and only conceding a goal kick is one of the worst.

• Like 1

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

Their player got two yellows for persistent fouling. Hardly worst decision of the season. Getting punched in the face and only conceding a goal kick is one of the worst.

It wasn't even a foul. Grealish literally ran in to him.

Just now, villakram said:

Very lucky with how results went today. Not overly surprising that we laid an egg given our midweek exertions.

Davis is not the answer to any question we should be asking.

Funny how we looked a better team with him on the pitch though...

• Like 1

Grealish apart we were poor all over the pitch. Passing was painfully slow and off target more often than not.

Plenty of sub-standard performances as I said but the two that stand out for me are Hause and Guilbert. Neither have a hope of being good enough for this level. Completely brainless actions throughout the game. In the case of Guilbert he has consistently failed to get the ball past the first man when in a good position to cross and then gives away silly fouls all over the pitch. Hause, quite good at winning the ball but then gives it straight back and likewise commits stupid fouls.

Â