• Samatta
    • Grealish
    • Engels (Konza 45)
    • Davis (El Ghazi 58)
    • Trézéguet (Nakamba 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/02/20 at 23:59

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I've listened to it on WM today and they were completely convinced on the sending off - they felt that it was clear and obvious and a stupid decision by the player that fully merited a second yellow..

They mentioned that Engels had to take a blow from the keeper to put his header over the bar, but didn't so much as whisper the words "foul" or "penalty".

I haven't seen either, but that's not the conclusion I'm hearing here.

I think he was sent off not just for that foul but for an accumulation of fouls. Was quite obvious Howe put him in the team to kick Grealish all day and quite frankly he got what he deserved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

So we didn't desrve to lose and it was unfair because their player was better than our player? :D

If I had to pick conceding a penalty, or being 1 man up for over half an hour, I think I'd pick it being 11vs11.

Kinda... I guess. Same as I’d say Leicester were unlucky against us because our GK had a worldie. Today ours was shite whilst there’s was good and got the rub of the green a couple of times.

Bit more too it though and on the balance of play and chances there’s no way we “deserve” to lose for me.

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've listened to it on WM today and they were completely convinced on the sending off - they felt that it was clear and obvious and a stupid decision by the player that fully merited a second yellow..

They mentioned that Engels had to take a blow from the keeper to put his header over the bar, but didn't so much as whisper the words "foul" or "penalty".

I haven't seen either, but that's not the conclusion I'm hearing here.

Regardless of VAR you still have to scream blue murder to get the decisions you want. Put some pressure on the ref/VAR to make a decision. Only Grealish seems to get this. We even rolled over and it took like good little boys when Watford took the piss and won the penalty when Targett got injured.

The mentality of our side is so frustrating. It really wins me up. With Terry on board you'd think we'd be a bit more c*unty but we're passive in every possible way.

Edited by villanmac
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I dont think that's true if I'm honest, I dont understand Dean's tactics because we have a few players who "should or could" be better on the ball.

I honestly wonder what they do in training all week.

I believe attempting to play the style of football  we are is high risk. Looks great on the eye when the teams confident and all playing well. Im just not sure this is the  brand of football for a newly promoted team in a relegation scrap!  

Approached the game all wrong, passive yet again, beat all over the park, didnt look like we wanted it enough. Away from home that has happened far too often.

We are very inconsistent so I cant even complain, it happens and will keep happening.

I think when a keeper plays as well as he did midweek he should play the next game regardless but I suppose Reina hadnt done much to lose his place in league games, thought he was iffy today though. Guilbert had a shocker, Hause is so bad on the ball and wants forever on it too which is suicide. Mings had a bad day too. Too many did, we need 7/8 of them to play blinders to have a chance of getting anything out of a game imo. MOTM Grealish, pleased for Samagol but back to the drawing board now. 2 week break, going to need a midweek PM atmosphere at Villa Park for the Spurs game.

Disappointing afternoon, thankfully results went our way for once. Really congested down there atm, pleased West Ham fudged their chance of points before their impossible run starts.

Keep the faith my bros 

30 minutes ago, Hanky said:

That’s the worst result this season by a mile. In serious trouble.

I think we have been in serious trouble all season, its nothing new or a bad day at the office. .....we don't control games, we just have moments to score to win.....we don't have enough ability to nullify or stop or curtail the opposition.....we are too open and we have been all season.

We are too benevolent with space and don't close it down, to snuff out threats.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Smith doesn't know what to do against 10 men.  Bournmouth are awful just had 10% more desire and it was enough today.

we had one spell in the first half when we looked like we might take control of the game. but then bournmouth got the 2nd goal. They even gave us a gift of going to 10 men by putting that idiot on a man for man marking job on Grealish. It was only  a matter of time before he saw red.

dunno why he took konsa off and not house?

Gazi was invisible in the first half but had just started getting into the game when he was subbed. outrageous!

Dunno why drinkwater wasn't in the squad he's meant to be getting minutes to get fit. He is essential away from home. Then you can use Luiz off the bench.

15 minutes ago, maqroll said:

What the hell happened, we were looking a little better lately and they've been plummeting..

Tbh, I think our recent wins have papered over the cracks. According to understat, we really haven't created the better chances in any of the recent wins we've had. Whether it be Norwich, Watford or even Burnley and it was obviously the case at Leicester too. We were just more clinical on that day and our opponents less so.

Today, it just so happened Bournemouth were more clinical and us less so. But I don't think we've created the better chances in this game either. So really, its just clinicality/luck that separates this game from our previous ones.

Edit: Just checked, they have the xGs for the match. 2.73 for Bournemouth compared to 1.42 for Villa. Just as I thought, Bournemouth had the better chances again.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

Bad performance in the first half and left ourselves too much to do when they put 9 behind the ball. Davis up with Samatta was good as AEG had been quite anonymous. 

Deeney got a penalty for the same situation that Davis didn’t today. Think the VAR probably didn’t give the Engels pen as it was straight after a dubious red card. Having said that though, I think the ref had decided Lerma would be off for his next foul - I was surprised he wasn’t subbed at half time.

Fortunately other results have gone our way. Need to get something from Spurs now though which won’t be easy.

Just now, screwdriver said:

Smith doesn't know what to do against 10 men.  Bournmouth are awful just had 10% more desire and it was enough today.

we had one spell in the first half when we looked like we might take control of the game. but then bournmouth got the 2nd goal. They even gave us a gift of going to 10 men by putting that idiot on a man for man marking job on Grealish. It was only  a matter of time before he saw red.

dunno why he took konsa off and not house?

Gazi was invisible in the first half but had just started getting into the game when he was subbed. outrageous!

Dunno why drinkwater wasn't in the squad he's meant to be getting minutes to get fit. He is essential away from home. Then you can use Luiz off the bench.

Its only when you have 11 men grafting and at it.....wiil the extra man count for anything....rarely do we have 11 men at it and making meaningful contributions.

without the graft of Jack, never mind his guile........we would be down already.

• Like 1

Flat after the semi. Half expected it to be the case.

However, how getting punched in the eye and then barged over in the box aren’t 2 penalties I’ll never know. 

At least results went for us for once. Expecting us to hammer an unmotivated Spurs at home in 2 weeks.

Â