• Samatta
    • Grealish
    • Engels (Konza 45)
    • Davis (El Ghazi 58)
    • Trézéguet (Nakamba 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/02/20 at 23:59

18 hours ago, kiltorken said:

What is the letter of the law out of interest? I would have thought a keeper could have thrown a punch at an incoming ball. 

I don't think its available online, but my handbook says "any action deemed to be dangerous, or harmful, to an opponent in the run of play, or deemed overly physical or aggressive".

If you were to look at the same rules for goalkeepers 15-20 years ago, they were pretty much allowed to plough through players to claim the ball.  No as protected as they used to be.

• Thanks 1

Whilst the stats (except the key one) were in our favour,  and on a luckier day we might have scored one or two more,  I feel like the substitutions cost us.  Against 10 men you have to bring a defender off, especially when you're playing with 5 in the first place.

Extremely disappointing result, but potential good signs in Samatta. Just think the fixture list is against us so we're going to need a lot of luck in this run in. 

Edited by MrBlack

9 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Whilst the stats (except the key one) were in our favour,  and on a luckier day we might have scored one or two more,  I feel like the substitutions cost us. 

We said the same thing after the Bournemouth game at Villa Park.

Fact is we got outworked, again. Bournemouth got what they deserved. Can't remember their keeper having to make many saves.

• Like 1

That was poor.  We were out of it until their undeserved red.  Being thoroughly out-worked by a rival in a game like that is worrying.  I'm hoping it's a hangover from the cup semi final win, but that's a key fixture gone begging and they don't get any easier. Relieved to see Samatta get a goal already.

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

Being thoroughly out-worked by a rival in a game like that is worrying.

It kind of proves the formation never was the issue to begin with. Doesn't it?

In the games where we match our opponent's fight and work rate we are always competitive. I think we've got a bunch of powder puff players with a weak mentality. When things get rough they crumble.

• Like 1

I was concerned that this game might prove to be something of an “after the Lord Mayors show”, and so it proved. Was Drinkwater injured? Luiz was my concern after Tuesday, he’s young and inexperienced, and didn’t come down from tuesdays high. As didn’t one or two others, I should add. There’s no doubt now that we’ve got to get wins from one or two of the big clubs to give ourselves a chance of staying up, and that’s without dropping results against the teams we expect something from. I don’t think we’ll be safe now before the final game of the season. 

20 hours ago, imavillan said:

I watched all of the game and it was poor and annoyingly frustrating.

Having watched us against Watford and the two games against Leicester i was highly optimistic. Thinking if we play like that against Bournemouth we can get three points, play like it for the rest of the season and we will not be relegated.

Well, i was bought back down to earth with a big bump. We went back into awful mode where we could not pass a ball, could not compete physically, could not cross a ball, could not shoot on target and yet again could not defend.

Too many players were not at the required standard. You can get away with one or two having an off day but when that balance is tipped to seven/eight having an off day there is no where to hide. It's all too familiar this season hence why where we are.

I have given Dean Smith a very poor in the match poll. Once Bournemouth had gone down to ten men he got the tactics totally wrong. We were chasing the game and did not need to play 3/5 at the back. Hause should have gone off for Davis. Five at the back was just not required, 

We are not relegated on the back of this result but we are in one hell of a scrap where our home form will have to save us as we are truly atrocious on our travels. We are the only team not to keep a clean sheet away from home in the premiership. Quite a damming stat that is.

We can do it, but we need the Villa who played against Leicester, Burnley and Watford to turn up far more often than they are !!!! 

Fully agree----i was expecting more of a battle after the Leicester game----but typical Villa---too many chose to have an off day---yet again,---we now have 13 games to secure Premiership survival--i only hope its secured before that what prove to be a winner take all final game with West Ham!!

Â