• Samatta
    • Grealish
    • Engels (Konza 45)
    • Davis (El Ghazi 58)
    • Trézéguet (Nakamba 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/02/20 at 23:59

There’s a pretty long list of utterly soul-destroying things about that game. It was the same gutless, incompetent non-performance that we’ve seen on countless occasions this season.

I can’t recall seeing a team who struggle to find space to such an extent. Too often, our players receive the ball under pressure and have nobody to pass to. 

We could not handle them putting pressure on our back 3 and marking Mings during build up.

Instead of distributing to the flanks we punted it up the middle where Billings was always going to wing in the air against Nakamba and Luiz.

They tactically beat us and then got 2 goals just when we started to grow into the game.

VAR remains a lottery but that's not why we lost. 

Hard to choose a man of the match tbh. I gave it to grealish but he didn’t have the best of games either. A few players were really below their level (guilbert AEG mings luiz)

we are lucky not to be in the bottom 3 but we should be performing better in these games. The passing was poor and we tried to play long balls against a physical team, so that is on Smith.

happy for Samatta to get a goal. Davis did well as a target man, but he can’t seem to score a goal. I thought Engels offers more on the ball than Konsa, he reads the game better.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Fair result today. They battered us in the first half, then incredibly dodgy refereeing gave us a man advantage for a third of the game. 

Could have had a penalty, but we were nowhere near as hard done by as they were. 

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

They didn't burgle both games, they beat us twice, let's stop blaming bad luck, we are 25 games in to the season now, we are past the stage of "we are unlucky......ALL THE TIME"

We lost cus we played sh*t and deserved to lose.

Burgled was perhaps a little strong.

Cant agree we deserved to lose though. Lerma’s red feels somewhat cancelled out by Engels not getting a penalty and their goal keeper made numerous saves whilst ours was atrocious. 

• Like 1

FFP has prevented us from staying up. We surely would have bought at least one more creative outlet to compliment Grealish. He is superb, but there is literally no-one in our team to help him. It's incredibly frustrating because one more player with even half his ability in the team and we would be comfortably mid-table. Oh well, at least we put the uttererly shit against ten men hoodoo to bed and Samatta scored.

If we can't hack games against our relegation rivals, how the **** are we going to stay up by getting results against better teams?

And how the **** are we coming back up without Jack's magic? I think we're ****. 

• Like 2

If we're working on pressing and movement I'm not seeing it. Abyssmal performance that. We are in trouble. Good thing that the results around us were at least favorable and probably quite deflating to them.

Look at the pre-match thread and a few of us called it: "After the Lord Mayor's Show" was the gist of it.

Could Smith have done much different? Not sure. I thought we might rotate, but our mistakes were in the first half and were nothing to do with tired legs.

Bournemouth's red card was coming from early in the game. They had an obvious tactic of fouling and winding Jack up, and even if the second yellow was harsh, it would have happened at some point.

Clear pen for the punch on Engels. I also thought the foul on Davis was a pen, although 50/50ish.

How Jack's shot through the keeper's legs hasn't gone in, God knows.

Their second goal comes off an obvious foul on Konsa for a breakaway.

Just a really lucky bunch of words removed against us this season Bournemouth, and it's such a shame we didn't get a result today, because I don't think they would have climbed out of the relegation zone.

Very very poor, but at least Samatta has something about him, and Davis is looking threatening as a backup / support striker. Couple of weeks off now to recover.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

abysmal first half.

how does var not give a penalty for a keeper punching a player in the face?

I'd have given the penalty but thought the second yellow was harsh, but then again Billing got away with murder in the first match.  He was irritatingly good today, as was Ake, who I can see why Bournemouth backed over Mings.  Just all the things that frustrated me this season reared their ugly head today, especially Luiz who was utterly shocking today, Anwar was completely hopeless, we were shit from set pieces and gave away sloppy goals.

Just now, zab6359 said:

Why wasn't Drinkwater in the match day team? Why did Douglas Luiz start? This game was my post January barometer of where we are at and well meh!!!!!!

Cos Drinkwater has been terrible and Douglas has played well last two games

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Id love to know Smiths reasoning for taking off Anwar when Davis was bought on.

Surely playing a nervous relegation threatened team, who were never going to commit men forward, taking Hause off was the only option?

Love the bloke but you need to be more proactive in these situations!

Smith only knows how to make like for like changes.

I 100% believe he only changed formation because of the fans calling for it.

I really don't think the guy has a clue how to compete at this level and he is desperate.

• Like 1

Â