Generic Virus Thread

villakram

It is obviously good news that Johnson is out of ICU and on the mend. Wouldn't it be lovely though to have a PM you'd be willing to get well as you believed he'd be the positive asset a Prime Minister should be in this situation. Scrapping the barrel I know but the only good reason I can think of for him being well enough to resume his duties is that it would mean Raab is no longer standing in for him. What a sorry, sad state we have gotten ourselves into. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Anyway, for those that missed it, there was a food related item on R4 earlier. About making use of the stuff already in your cupboard to minimise those shopping trips. The examples of stuff you might already have in the cupboard? Falafel and dried rose petals.

Yeah, so don't leave me hanging here... what was the recipe? All I have left is falafel, rose petals, star anise, goji berries and ostrich eggs.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It is obviously good news that Johnson is out of ICU and on the mend. Wouldn't it be lovely though to have a PM you'd be willing to get well as you believed he'd be the positive asset a Prime Minister should be in this situation. Scrapping the barrel I know but the only good reason I can think of for him being well enough to resume his duties is that it means Raab is no longer standing in for him. What a sorry, sad state we have gotten ourselves into. 

I think some peoples complete anti tory/anti brexit views blinker people to how popular/liked he actually is amongst the general population. Maybe that nice but dim, child rugby tacking, stuck on a zipline get brexit done bit of a toff bellend but right in the shit with us is kinda what people need to feel a bit better about the current situation

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

I think some peoples complete anti tory/anti brexit views blinker people to how popular/liked he actually is amongst the general population. Maybe that nice but dim, child rugby tacking, stuck on a zipline get brexit done bit of a toff bellend but right in the shit with us is kinda what people need to feel a bit better about the current situation

He's not a patch on man of the people Trump. 

How the hard working man honestly believes that a multi billionaire understands them and is on their side amazes me. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The end of your post reminded me of the Guardian's idea of a 'storecupboard recipe':

Finally, a use for my *checks notes* 'shaoxing wine', 'Lebanese cucumber', and 'la-yu chilli oil'.

You almost have to think they wrote it as a parody.

Having skimmed that recipe, I actually do normally have all those ingredients in the house. 

Lebanese cucumbers are the baby ones that they sell in Lidl for kids. Although I've only just learned that they are really called Lebanese cucumbers and not "cucumbears"

82241_55.jpg

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

I think some peoples complete anti tory views blinker people to how popular/liked he actually is amongst the general population. Maybe that nice but dim, child rigby tacking, stuck on a zipline bit of a toff bellend but right in the shit with us is kinda what people need to feel a bit better about the current situation

34% of people view him positively. 47% negatively. From yougov. 

7 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

He's bafflingly popular

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It is obviously good news that Johnson is out of ICU and on the mend. Wouldn't it be lovely though to have a PM you'd be willing to get well as you believed he'd be the positive asset a Prime Minister should be in this situation. Scrapping the barrel I know but the only good reason I can think of for him being well enough to resume his duties is that it would mean Raab is no longer standing in for him. What a sorry, sad state we have gotten ourselves into. 

Its good news because its one less person dying from this. 

Him coming back to lead does very little to calm my nerves.

10 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

like with trump in america, its a sad indictment on our country that these two racist idiots are so popular. 

Its a shame the world seems to be heading that way. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Hobson's choice. But I think I would prefer Rabb at the helm a while longer.

Johnsons talent is his ability to shrug off mistakes - and dismiss perceived problems ....

"Well it really is a load of muggletruff - lets just get on with it"

And he is brilliant at that - the problem now we have an issue which is deadly serious - so Johnsons knack of saying problems aren't problems isn't really a skillset that's required right now.

We need someone with attention to fine detail, see problems coming , and take action to minimise such problems. I don't know that Rabb is such a guy - but sure as hell Johnson isn't.

For the the record though. I am glad BJ is out of intensive care - and hope his recovery continue s

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

'Essential food' is not a phrase to be seen in the regulations.

In my personal experience, you only get to argue the finer points of wording and meaning after the police have dicked you about for an hour.

It’ll generally start with their misunderstanding of the law, followed by accusations of obstruction if you argue the toss.

• Like 1

On 02/04/2020 at 20:44, terrytini said:

No. It’s bollocks.

Im sick of seeing ill uninformed stuff posted as fact on here.

The UK death stats most people refer to only include people tested for, and admitted to, Hospital with the virus, and who die there.

They don’t include anyone who dies at home or in a Care Home for example - although Care Home stats are now being compiled and announced elsewhere, and on at least one occasion were later added to the Headline figure.

You won’t be tested for the virus if you die in a car crash. Coroners are being swamped. The greater likelihood is that people dying due to the effect of virus are being missed as there are many existing conditions which cause the death.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/covid-19-hundreds-of-uk-care-home-deaths-not-added-to-official-toll?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

That’s an “ exclusive” tonight in the Guardian....
🤔

Edited by terrytini

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

In my personal experience, you only get to argue the finer points of wording and meaning after the police have dicked you about for an hour.

It’ll generally start with their misunderstanding of the law, followed by accusations of obstruction if you argue the toss.

That may well be - and I just hope that I don't end up in that situation as I'm unlikely to just nod along if they're being an arse. :)

My point is that it's about the nature of the trip and whether it constitutes a 'reasonable excuse' for leaving the place where you are living.

The specifics of what you are buying are less important than the circumstances (though if there's nothing else to go on, the items bought and the reason given might appear not to be reasonable).

Tbh, the fifth trip of the day to 'get a loaf' from Morrisons might justifiably see someone falling foul of the regulations, I'd have thought.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

You did say that . . . and it seems that that 'not counting' goes further into 'not really treating' as well, which is essentially how we haven't seen ICU's swamped yet:

• Like 2

Â