Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

In a ideal world at in ‘normal’ time’s yes.  I think if the situation doesn’t improve some more unorthodox methods should be bought in. I’d be open to it.

You may be, plenty of others wouldn't.

It also depends what you mean by 'unorthodox methods' - taking guard like Peter Willey or letting armed police execute people on a whim?

Also, principles are there to be adhered to out of 'normal times' otherwise they aren't principles, they're just guff.

This whole drop standards simply because it isn't an ideal world/normal times is a really bad way to address policy. If one needs to allow some things to be done differently, temporarily, because otherwise they wouldn't get done then that's a discussion that can be had (thus Parliament, the media, the judiciary, the legal profession, the police, the public should all be scrutinising what laws and regulations are put in place and how they are being enforced) but the immediate call to allow anything and everything simply because an emergency situation arises is not good. Not good at all.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But on a serious note. Any examples of countries where this has been the answer? 
Genuinely interested to know.

I can’t think of many examples where its been tried, no. I suspect at a point in the recent past some of the Scandinavian countries gave it a go, Sweden, Denmark, possibly even the likes of Switzerland and Austria. But I’m not researching that on a bank holiday Friday. From the top of my head, Sweden was quite progressive, then sort of turned away from that idealistic theory and now there’s a fair bit of crime and discontent.

What I could give you, quite easily, is about a hundred countries doing it the way we are, and failing to keep a lid on it. More and more strict laws, poorly administered has been a shit system for the last thousand years. Might be worth a punt on something else.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair enough mate? Examples?

Well, I didn't want to be the one to 'go there' but since you mention it, yes, Nazi Germany would fit the description of a government taking advantage of emergencies (some manufactured, others real) to impose a police state. If you want less apocalyptic examples, nearly every country in Latin America has had military rule from a junta in the last fifty years which has followed this broad pattern, and it can be seen today in countries from Hungary to the Philippines.

37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe there’s a place for these ‘emergency laws’ in our society? Something worth considering at least?

Plus to be fair  I did follow up this post by asking for examples of where funding education, courts, prisons etc has been the answer.

Maybe you could run along and do the research on where underfunding them has worked so well? That would be the more salient point surely?

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Maybe you could run along and do the research on where underfunding them has worked so well? That would be the more salient point surely?

Ok so as there’s not one example given to me of where funding these areas has been the answer I should run along and find examples of where underfunding them has worked so well?

Don’t really get that one mate. 

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I had to go out for supplies a few days ago and it was about 50/50 on the aisles. I had no problem telling people to back up and go the right way, and only one person called me a rocket polisher when I asked "What do you suppose all of these arrows might mean?" :D 

Yeah I tried to shout at one who went past, saying that we were literally queueing for our health. However, as my face was covered with a scarf wrapped round, I’m not sure he heard and shouting louder may have resulted in my choking on said scarf :huh:

Edited by mikeyp102

According to the Italian health department ISS 105 doctors and 28 nurses has died from the virus so far.

13.000 health care workers infected, almost 10% of all infected in Italy. 

A lack of protective gear the main culprit apparently. Scary stuff.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok so as there’s not one example given to me of where funding these areas has been the answer I should run along and find examples of where underfunding them has worked so well?

Don’t really get that one mate. 

I'm not entirely shocked.

On the Cambridge Police thing:

The first response to this is from the Cambridge Conservative Association:

If the local Tory association is criticising the police then they've probably either done something wrong or caught the local Chairman speeding.

Edited by snowychap
  • Haha 2

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m not entirely shocked that you’re not entirely shocked :)

But we should probably leave it there. 

Ok I'll spell it out, you appear to want people to do your research for you to prove your points

Instead of coming baclk with have you got any proof of this? Try and prove the null-hypothesis yourself

36 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ok I'll spell it out, you appear to want people to do your research for you to prove your points

Instead of coming baclk with have you got any proof of this? Try and prove the null-hypothesis yourself

But I never disagreed with the point that was made. So surely I shouldn’t be expected to research a point made by another person when  I didn't even disagree with it?

I was genuinely interested to know where funding eduction, courts and prisons instead of giving more powers to the police has worked. I never once for second said it wouldn’t work.  I wanted to know where it has worked.  

Is that unreasonable?

34 minutes ago, snowychap said:

On the Cambridge Police thing:

The first response to this is from the Cambridge Conservative Association:

If the local Tory association is criticising the police then they've probably either done something wrong or caught the local Chairman speeding.

Ah, that old standby, the 'over-exuberant officer'. As luck would have it, I've got hold of video evidence of the dressing down he received this morning:

• Haha 1

I can’t believe how much one tweet over people buying non essential items has got so much media attention. Also how they now have to back track.  Another example of how the  police demand zero respect or authority in my opinion. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, sne said:

According to the Italian health department ISS 105 doctors and 28 nurses has died from the virus so far.

13.000 health care workers infected, almost 10% of all infected in Italy. 

A lack of protective gear the main culprit apparently. Scary stuff.

What ratio of health workers have been tested compared to general population? The numbers are meaningless without knowing that. I'm actually surprised it's as low as 10% considering working conditions.

Â