Generic Virus Thread

villakram

42 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Luckily the Europeans are still thinking of you guys, even when you forget to check your spam email folders.

Very decent of the Bundeswehr and every little helps, but the requirement defined by government was about 8000 units. 

The only way we can get hold of those numbers quickly is to build them ourselves, not from the open market where everyone is competing. The Ventilator Challenge UK consortium is the best chance of meeting anticipated demand (or most of it). 

The Dyson and Babcock ventilators will put us miles over the top for capacity if and when there’s a second peak - like the extra field hospitals that won’t be ready for the first peak but will for the second.

The government needs to focus now on getting manufacturers converted to making PPE, which is in similarly short supply globally. 

Edited by Awol

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I wonder if any tory voters are starting to feel like they've made a mistake? Surely even the most loyal supporters can't possibly think reports like this are acceptable?

Lots of denial and squirming.

You can see it here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

both really but I can certainly see the media helping to make it all go away once the heroic prime minister gets us through this. 

Shouldn’t then. I only asked because I think you will soon see it can.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Awol said:

The Dyson and Babcock ventilators will put us miles over the top for capacity if and when there’s a second peak 

Great news, but what about the current peak?

32 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I wonder if any tory voters are starting to feel like they've made a mistake? Surely even the most loyal supporters can't possibly think reports like this are acceptable?

No they don't from what I've seen.  They aren't reading or attributing this kind of stuff to the right place.

They're being painted as heroes in some quarters and I've seen a few posts on FB saying Johnson is the best PM since Churchill 🤮  Unbelievably frustrating.

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Great news, but what about the current peak?

1) it’s not here yet, and 2) the answer was in the other part of the post you quoted from. 

In my view they’re doing the best they can now with the situation in front of them, but as I’ve posted repeatedly in this thread... the shortages in ventilation and PPE were highlighted in the 2016 pandemic exercise and instead of addressing those the Cameron government buried the report. 

Johnson will be judged on the corners cut after this is over because  the music stopped on his watch so he is ultimately responsible. That’s right and proper. The inquiry will come. Careers will be killed. 

I thought the advice they were getting not to introduce border closures/mass quarantine for incoming travellers in combination with early social distancing were crazy. I said as much on here and took my own kids out of school 10 days before the closures came in. 

I don’t think Johnson, the CMO, SAGE or anyone else has acted in bad faith but they have made serious mistakes - in my unqualified opinion. 

Having been caught out with insufficient stocks of PPE they are now involved in the intergovernmental knife fight as countries scrap to get what they need at each other’s expense. There’s a finite manufacturing base for this kit and those who own it are looking to their own needs first. Fair enough. 

I’m not criticising government for failing to deliver tests that haven’t been invented yet (ones that work), or other things that aren’t currently within their gift. The mistakes we are living with now are baked in from previous administrations, so where they are trying to rectify them I don’t see the harm in at least acknowledging that. 

• Like 4

I have such a dry persistent cough. Had it for 4-5 weeks now. Chest aches a little, tad breathless (but that might be in my head). No fever.

Never had a cough like this before though. F*** knows what I'm supposed to do. 

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I have such a dry persistent cough. Had it for 4-5 weeks now. Chest aches a little, tad breathless (but that might be in my head). No fever.

Move further away from Shirl’s pile of burning tyres?

28 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Look on 111nhs. If you haven’t got a fever it doesn’t sound like you have it. Probably just a really bad cough 

It's a bit weird that Boris is apparently sitting up and in good spirits, but Raab hasn't spoken with him since he went in.

ICU is for critical patients, not people sitting up in good spirits.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's a bit weird that Boris is apparently sitting up and in good spirits, but Raab hasn't spoken with him since he went in.

Yes he wouldn’t be in there now if he wasn’t a pm or senior member of cabinet 

ICU is for critical patients, regardless of who they are.

And why wasn't Raab spoken with him if he's deputising for him, and he's sitting up talking with people?

It doesn't add up.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

ICU is for critical patients, regardless of who they are.

And why wasn't Raab spoken with him if he's deputising for him, and he's sitting up talking with people?

It doesn't add up.

I don’t think anyone has said he’s talking to people have they?

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

He only went in as a precaution and he’s got better every day.

People that are well often spend 3 or 4 nights in ICU.

• Like 2

Maybe talking is the wrong word, but they've said he's making the decisions which suggest lucidity.

You don't make decisions on the country, from the ICU.

Remember, they hid the severity of it from us when he was taken to hospital.

I would understand it in normal circumstances, but I'm programmed (and from prior experiences) that if a Tory says it, they're lying.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Awol said:

I’m not criticising government for failing to deliver tests that haven’t been invented yet (ones that work), or other things that aren’t currently within their gift.

Someone had better tell Germany and South Korea that their millions of tests haven’t been invented yet. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, choffer said:

Someone had better tell Germany and South Korea that their millions of tests haven’t been invented yet. 

Antibody tests. No one has millions of antibody tests. 

• Like 1

Â