Generic Virus Thread

villakram

34 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Another day, another example of power-hungry plod making up his own law.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-police-chief-issues-lockdown-21838760

I'd love to know what they're intending to do when they've looked through people's trolleys. Perhaps the government could issue a list of approved items we're allowed to buy.

You called it out from the start, the police, some of the police, cannot help themselves when given a little bit of power.

The very fact he originally thought he could rifle through shopping deciding what was essential. What an absolute arse.

I know it’s flippant, but there’s a weirdly large portion of this country that are just little hitlers in waiting. Waiting to get an armband and an ounce of power over others. 

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

Home Secretary has already said it is not appropriate for plod to inspect people's shopping. 

Blimey, she's woken up? She's been missing for weeks.

35 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Must have been the claps. 

Nah it’s because he has strength of character and is a fighter of course. Everyone else with the virus just gives up because they don’t have the fortitude to deal with it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Blimey, she's woken up? She's been missing for weeks.

Priti Vacant.

Priti Patel accused of avoiding MPs’ scrutiny during national crisis

Home secretary failed to reply to repeated requests to give evidence amid Covid-19 crisis

The home secretary, Priti Patel, has been accused by an influential group of MPs of avoiding scrutiny at a time of national emergency, a tranche of correspondence has revealed.

Yvette Cooper, the chair of the home affairs select committee, has written to Patel six times – most recently in a letter issued on Wednesday – in an attempt to fix a date for the home secretary to give evidence in public to the committee, but a date for a hearing has not been confirmed.

After repeatedly ignoring correspondence from Cooper, Patel replied to the committee chair on Tuesday telling her she was “disappointed at the increasingly adversarial tone of our exchanges” and declining an invitation to give evidence remotely on 15 April. She reluctantly agreed to appear before the MPs at the end of the month, but did not set a date.

Grauniad

36 minutes ago, blandy said:

Only shops that sell food, drink, DIY maintenance stuff and other things deemed essential are allowed to open. IF you go for some food, and see, I dunno, a pot plant, or some scissors, or some flowers or something then why prevent the shop selling that to you - why deprive them the profit, why deprive a wife or husband a birthday present - in essence some jobsworth deciding "you can't sell scissors, but you can sell cutlery is too far.

I get people going out solely for [flowers] should not be, and if that's your point, I agree.

Tbh, I’m confused by the whole thing. Non essential shops are all closed, what is open that police are saying you shouldn’t be buying? If I got to Sainsbury’s buy food, beer and wine, will I get into trouble for the alcohol?

46 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Does that mean we're allowed to call him rude words again without people swooning like a Victorian countess who's caught a touch of the vapors?

He's a Beatles fan

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Tbh, I’m confused by the whole thing. Non essential shops are all closed, what is open that police are saying you shouldn’t be buying? If I got to Sainsbury’s buy food, beer and wine, will I get into trouble for the alcohol?

No. Or at least you shouldn't.

It's about having a reasonable excuse and the list in the regulations is not exhaustive.

If you're off to the supermarket on a booze run and the only thing you pick up with your 6 bottles of Pinot Noir is some olives and a pack of Fro sourdough crackers then plod might have a case to suggest to you that your excuse wasn't, actually, reasonable.

Edited by snowychap
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I don’t understand this issue of buying non essential items from the shop. Why don’t they tell the shops to take them off the shelves, or close the isles of we’re not allowed to buy them.

Not sure it's so much that really. If you are in the supermarket/shop for your food, bog roll & paracetamol and end up buying a plant, a bottle of wine & some other random things i don't think anyone really cares but when people are going out specifically just to buy the plant/tin of paint/picture frame, bottle of wine etc it isn't really an essential trip is it.

Tabloids are full of pictures of people with trollies full of just compost, plants, home decorating stuff. I know people still need to do stuff during the time off but it isn't a gigantic bank holiday and some/lots of people are taking the piss

Guess the moral of the story is if you are going out to buy some needless shit buy some food too...

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

No. Or at least you shouldn't.

It's about having a reasonable excuse and he list in the regulations is not exhaustive.

If you're off to the supermarket on a booze run and the only thing you pick up with your 6 bottles of Pinot Noir is some olives and a pack of Fro sourdough crackers then plod might have a case to suggest to you that your excuse wasn't, actually, reasonable.

It would be interesting to see the court case where they argue olives and crackers don’t count as essential food.

I guess they’d need to search the house. If you already had beans and chips then the olives would be frivolous. Empty cupboard, and those olives are essential. Or perhaps they’d base it on ethnic background. He’s from Maesteg, those olives are nothing more than an affectation. Ah yes, but his family are Italian immigrants...

Anyway, for those that missed it, there was a food related item on R4 earlier. About making use of the stuff already in your cupboard to minimise those shopping trips. The examples of stuff you might already have in the cupboard? Falafel and dried rose petals.

I can’t think how they could have made it more radio 4, fair play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Not sure it's so much that really. If you are in the supermarket/shop for your food, bog roll & paracetamol and end up buying a plant, a bottle of wine & some other random things i don't think anyone really cares but when people are going out specifically just to buy the plant/tin of paint/picture frame, bottle of wine etc it isn't really an essential trip is it

I won't lie, I finished work and went to get a couple of bottles of wine from the off licence, which isn't obviously essential but what is essential in an off licence?

Good news about Boris anyway.

• Like 1

Â