Generic Virus Thread

villakram

7 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

What made you start taking it seriously in the end then? I’m just curious. 

I stopped being in denial. We only had to look at Italy and Spain to know what was coming . Weren’t too worried what was going on in China, but was concerned . Things have progressed quite rapidly. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

That’s because you haven’t seen them all out there still carrying on as normal. They’re selfish idiots, as I’ve gone round telling them to their faces!

Have you seen a lot of people still behaving as normal then where you are?

The only time I have ventured out in the past 3 weeks is to go to the shop or for a jog in the park. Apart from a couple of kids on a bike ramp I haven’t seen anything other than people walking the dog or going for a walk or run. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'the non-essential aisles' 

Seriously, wtf are police twitter accounts still doing chucking out this kind of utter rubbish?

I'll be doing my grocery shopping on Monday or Tuesday. I'd better not see plod patrolling the supermarket in such a manner..

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

How are we still a couple of weeks away from the “peak” when most of us have barely left their house for almost four weeks!? 🤔

A possible 'mothering sunday' spike, for one thing?

23 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

For someone who might have read the logic for this or be able to piece the reasoning together/more intelligent than I....

How are we still a couple of weeks away from the “peak” when most of us have barely left their house for almost four weeks!? 🤔

I don’t get this either. Whilst I appreciate not everyone will follow the rules I would still have expected the peak to be around now?

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I dunno....I stumbled across Katie Hopkins social media and saw her handing out advice on how to sleep if you’re worried about boris being in ICU and then read the replies...I let myself down and I’m ashamed

Are we allowed to talk about his time in ICU as a conspiracy theory aimed at exactly what his dad is talking about? Not doubting he was ill but at the same time I’m not of the belief that he received standard procedure or treatment 

and with the news that the police in Manchester had to break up over 600 parties last weekend I would argue the message still isn’t getting through

I'm sure he was actually ill because I think he's the kind of person who would think he's too important to be sick. Illness doesn't get people like him because he's too strong of character and all that bollocks. So he wouldn't' abide by pretending to be ill.

But in a way I think it's the best thing that could have happened to him, assuming he recovers which I of course hope he does.

He'll be hailed as some sort of hero for beating the disease and everyone will love him even more. Ugh

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Seriously, wtf are police twitter accounts still doing chucking out this kind of utter rubbish?

I'll be doing my grocery shopping on Monday or Tuesday. I'd better not see plod patrolling the supermarket in such a manner..

I would bet my left bollock those coppers picked up a meal deal while they were there

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He'll be hailed as some sort of hero for beating the disease and everyone will love him even more. Ugh

Massive brownie points for the new Labour guy if when inevitably Boris wheels out his brave battle with corona he pulls him up on its relevance 

All about the timing and who uses it better

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t get this either. Whilst I appreciate not everyone will follow the rules I would still have expected the peak to be around now?

S01E01-tSnol50A-subtitled.jpg

Just making a joke that I was breaking social distancing telling people to social distance. It backfired. I don’t even live in the UK!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Director at Public Health England just said that over the next few days they expect new cases to plateau/the curve to flatten and then in around 3 weeks the same will happen with the number of daily deaths. That means for the next 3 weeks at least we can expect around 900 deaths a day. That will put us on approaching 30k deaths in around 3 weeks time before the amount of daily deaths starts to drop.

It looks like UK and US could well be the worst hit by this in terms of deaths. Certainly in the first wave.Two countries that had the advantage of being able to see what had happened in China and perhaps more importantly what was happening in Italy. Two countries led by leaders that were both playing down the threat when it was clear to a lot of people, without access to a fraction of the information they have, how serious this all is.

To be fair I don't think there are any cities in Italy that quite compare to London or New York, which is where the biggest carnage has taken place.  I suspect that for those two cities we would need to have locked down well before it had started in other European countries to have avoided the spread. 

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Have you seen a lot of people still behaving as normal then where you are?

The only time I have ventured out in the past 3 weeks is to go to the shop or for a jog in the park. Apart from a couple of kids on a bike ramp I haven’t seen anything other than people walking the dog or going for a walk or run. 

I live on a main road.The road has been busier today than it has been for the last 10 days. A lot of people just don't care about listening to the advice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Massive brownie points for the new Labour guy if when inevitably Boris wheels out his brave battle with corona he pulls him up on its relevance 

All about the timing and who uses it better

It won't work. The papers will be full of "Brave Boris" and anyone pulling him up on any relevance will be shot down as a traitor.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'the non-essential aisles' 

I've been called a paranoid nutter with a chip on my shoulder (not on here, mind you) for banging this drum for the last few weeks.

It was clear that any powers the police were to be given would be abused. They always are, I expected as much. What I am astonished by is just how comfortable they are, even at a senior level, literally inventing the law and their powers as they go along. It shouldn't be forgiven.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I'll be doing my grocery shopping on Monday or Tuesday. I'd better not see plod patrolling the supermarket in such a manner.

On this, I've just had a look at the local police's twitter and, though there is a post about 'details obtained!' from someone using the car parks on the hills (which have been closed by the Malvern Hills Trust so people shouldn't be using them anyway), it largely seems relatively sensible such as:

Edited by snowychap

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

The supermarket had restrictions on which way to go up the aisles to give people space, if someone was shopping ahead of you, you just stop and wait for them to move, most observed this but then some couldn’t wait a couple of minutes, start pushing past people and going the wrong way down the aisles 

I had to go out for supplies a few days ago and it was about 50/50 on the aisles. I had no problem telling people to back up and go the right way, and only one person called me a rocket polisher when I asked "What do you suppose all of these arrows might mean?" :D 

10 minutes ago, snowychap said:

bbc GIF

• Confused 1

Â