Generic Virus Thread

villakram

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

By unorthodox, do you mean smashing the windows of paediatricians? Or slashing the tyres of nurses self isolating in caravan parks?

There is nothing about the current situation that can’t be dealt with in a perfectly orthodox way.

Hope so mate. 

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Doubt it. They'll probably find a way to blame Corbyn for all of this.

In all seriousness, I do think if that study that predicted the UK would be the worst hit country in Europe ends up coming true that we may see people turning on the government. Why, when we had a head start on countries like Italy and Spain, have we ended up as the worst hit country? I don't really see any explanation other than we didn't lockdown soon enough and we were trying for this herd immunity thing, which they U-turned on when they realised we wouldn't accept hundreds of thousands of people dying.

The press are going to play a significant role when all this is over. I hope there are enough brave people who won't allow the return of Premier league football and love Island to distract from the deaths that the government will ultimately be responsible for. 

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Or, or, and hear me out because this is a bit out there and a bit radical. What we could do, is properly fund education and social services, the police, courts and prisons. Then, properly enforce the laws we alread have.

I know, I know! Mad.

I’m trying to be realistic.

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Or, or, and hear me out because this is a bit out there and a bit radical. What we could do, is properly fund education and social services, the police, courts and prisons. Then, properly enforce the laws we alread have.

I know, I know! Mad.

But on a serious note. Any examples of countries where this has been the answer? 

Genuinely interested to know.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m trying to be realistic

But succeeding in being reactionary with ideas that aren't in the long term good of society

It is very rare that "emergency laws" get repealed and they are later used for purposes other than their original intention.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

But succeeding in being reactionary with ideas that aren't in the long term good of society

It is very rare that "emergency laws" get repealed and they are later used for purposes other than their original intention.

Maybe there’s a place for these ‘emergency laws’ in our society? Something worth considering at least?

Plus to be fair  I did follow up this post by asking for examples of where funding education, courts, prisons etc has been the answer.

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe there’s a place for these ‘emergency laws’ in our society? Something worth considering at least?

Mmm, what could possibly go wrong with using a crisis to declare an 'emergency' 'state of exception' and then making people 'fear the police'? It's a good job there are no troubling historical examples of this happening!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Mmm, what could possibly go wrong with using a crisis to declare an 'emergency' 'state of exception' and then making people 'fear the police'? It's a good job there are no troubling historical examples of this happening!

We could probably find troubling examples for every scenario if we look hard enough.  But as mentioned earlier in this thread we should be able to deal with this crisis without any unorthodox changes so it should be fine. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We could probably find troubling examples for every scenario if we look hard enough.  But as mentioned earlier in this thread we should be able to deal with this crisis without any unorthodox changes so it should be fine. 

My point is, you don't need to look particularly hard at all.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Sorry Snowychap (and you are definitely more intelligent that I am), I don’t follow....

Very questionable :) but by the bye:

My point is (following on from what @Genie posted about the approximate three week lag between catching the virus and death), three weeks ago on Sunday was Mothering Sunday when there will be a lot of people who won't have followed the Gov's advice (i.e. before the regulations cam in to place) and will have visited their mother/family so we might see a bit of a spike next week.

It's only a guess and I hope I'm very wrong but we'll see when the ONS publish the figures for the wk ending 19/04 (I assume they end on Sundays) in a few weeks.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Out of interest which so called ‘developed’ country are you referring to with this post? My history is a bit shit, do you mean Germany?

Â