Generic Virus Thread

villakram

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not with that **** Modi in charge. Criminal that he allowed the Kumbh Mela and political rallies to continue.

Agree about the political rallies.  

But wouldn’t the religious festival be down to the state level and the organisers?

54 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not with that **** Modi in charge. Criminal that he allowed the Kumbh Mela and political rallies to continue.

One of my neighbours is from Delhi originally and we were chatting yesterday and he was quite critical of things, including the rallies and religious events that are being allowed to take place. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56904993

Covid: One dose of vaccine halves transmission - study

A single dose of a coronavirus vaccine can reduce household transmission of the virus by up to half, a study shows.

Those given a first dose of either the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccines - and who became infected three weeks later - were between 38% and 49% less likely to pass the virus on than unvaccinated people, PHE found.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock described the study's results as "terrific news".

He has urged "everybody to get their vaccines as soon as they are eligible".

In the study, protection against Covid was seen from about 14 days after vaccination, with similar levels of protection regardless of age of cases or contacts, PHE said in a statement.

It added that this protection was on top of the reduced risk of a vaccinated person developing symptomatic infection in the first place, which is around 60 to 65% - four weeks after one dose of either vaccine.

Dr Mary Ramsay, head of immunisation at PHE, said: "Vaccines are vital in helping us return to a normal way of life. Not only do vaccines reduce the severity of illness and prevent hundreds of deaths every day, we now see they also have an additional impact on reducing the chance of passing Covid-19 on to others."

But, while she said the findings were "encouraging", she said it was important people continue to act like they have the virus, "practise good hand hygiene and follow social distancing guidance".

Households are high-risk settings for transmission, meaning the study provides early evidence on the impact of vaccines in preventing onward transmission, PHE said.

Similar results could be expected in other settings with similar transmission risks, such as shared accommodation and prisons, it added.

This is the latest piece of evidence to indicate that vaccines are slowing the transmission of the virus as well as saving lives.

Households are among the most likely places for infection to spread, so these set of results are particularly encouraging.

Public Health England has said it would expect similar results in other high-risk settings, such as shared accommodation and prisons.

All this bodes well for the continued easing of restrictions, especially as the vaccination campaign is making good progress into younger age groups - who are more likely to spread the virus.

And it also gives further reassurance to those concerned about the fact that children will not be vaccinated - and so might bring infection into households.

A cause for concern, though, is whether newer variants of the virus, which might be more resistant to vaccines, might cause a new surge in infections.

But the expert opinion is that the current vaccines will provide a significant degree of protection, especially against severe illness.

The study, which has yet to be fully peer-reviewed, included more than 57,000 contacts from 24,000 households in which there was a lab-confirmed coronavirus case that had received a vaccination, compared with nearly one million contacts of unvaccinated cases.

Contacts were defined as secondary cases of coronavirus if they tested positive two to 14 days after the initial household case. Most of the people in the study were under the age of 60.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Covid: One dose of vaccine halves transmission - study

In reality it will be higher than that. They appear to be assuming that the person vaccinated and getting the virus is the person that was initially infected and brought the infection into the home

Also some of those people that were infected might not have picked up the virus in the home setting, someone else may have infected them independently. Or indeed the household could have been infected by the same person at the same time outside of the household setting

I understand why those scenarios are almost impossible to prove so have been ignored and they are probably right to do so, to provide a lower base figure. But I really suspect the reality is somewhat higher as those and other scenarios will distort the figures downwards.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

In reality it will be higher than that. They appear to be assuming that the person vaccinated and getting the virus is the person that was initially infected and brought the infection into the home

Also some of those people that were infected might not have picked up the virus in the home setting, someone else may have infected them independently. Or indeed the household could have been infected by the same person at the same time outside of the household setting

I understand why those scenarios are almost impossible to prove so have been ignored and they are probably right to do so, to provide a lower base figure. But I really suspect the reality is somewhat higher as those and other scenarios will distort the figures downwards.

Yeah, I guess its impossible to know HOW someone was infected unless they set up completely isolated experiments sealing people in a house and deliberately infecting one of them. 

Anyway, good news regardless, if it's actually higher, all the better. 

Another example that getting the vaccine is not just about protecting yourself, it's about protecting others just as much. 

• Like 1

Back into lockdown from Friday for me. I know it's totally needed and I was first in line to complain when the authorities were doing nothing, but that doesn't make me dread it any less.

Edit: the news I read was incomplete, it's only a partial lockdown. I can still escape the house for my runs and keep my sanity.

Edited by Danwichmann
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

Back into lockdown from Friday for me. I know it's totally needed and I was first in line to complain when the authorities were doing nothing, but that doesn't make me dread it any less.

In Korea or Nepal?

Chatting today in our management team and there's talk of waiting until everyone is vaccinated in our company before we can go back to the office!

Mostly young company, feels like a massive over-reaction. It's like we've all lost our collective minds. I'm really struggling at home recently.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Chatting today in our management team and there's talk of waiting until everyone is vaccinated in our company before we can go back to the office!

Mostly young company, feels like a massive over-reaction. It's like we've all lost our collective minds. I'm really struggling at home recently.

Can you not go at all?

Our place are open for people that want to go for as much or as little of the week as they want.

You have to book due to the reduced capacity.

The seniors are now pushing people to book in for 1 day in the next month to prove its safe and reduce anxiety about going back. 

Just now, Genie said:

Can you not go at all?

Our place are open for people that want to go for as much or as little of the week as they want.

You have to book due to the reduced capacity.

The seniors are now pushing people to book in for 1 day in the next month to prove its safe and reduce anxiety about going back. 

We can but severely restricted. The last year and a bit has been tough for our team and the quicker we can get back to working together sometimes, the better.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

What if someone doesn't want to be vaccinated?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for vaccines and once my time comes I  will get one, but surely a personal decision of an individual (which they have every right to make) can't hold the whole company hostage?

30 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

You can sign up next week can’t you? Not saying that approach is right, and you’ll still have to wait for everyone else to get vaccinated if they do take that approach.

Meanwhile in a remarkable turnaround it seems like I’ll be getting a jab here in Poland myself earlier than I’ll be offered it in the UK (32 and in fine fettle). Next Saturday, a Boris & Boris one shot and then I’m coming for my battered chips, fish and gravy with my shiny blue vaccine passport.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, fightoffyour said:

You can sign up next week can’t you? Not saying that approach is right, and you’ll still have to wait for everyone else to get vaccinated if they do take that approach.

Meanwhile in a remarkable turnaround it seems like I’ll be getting a jab here in Poland myself earlier than I’ll be offered it in the UK (32 and in fine fettle). Next Saturday, a Boris & Boris one shot and then I’m coming for my battered chips, fish and gravy with my shiny blue vaccine passport.

It's more the feeling that our sense of normality is slowly and slowly being eroded. People thinking 'yeah it's normal we need a vaccination to work from the office'

Slippery slope. 

• Like 1

Â