Generic Virus Thread

villakram

11 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

You can sign up next week can’t you? Not saying that approach is right, and you’ll still have to wait for everyone else to get vaccinated if they do take that approach.

Meanwhile in a remarkable turnaround it seems like I’ll be getting a jab here in Poland myself earlier than I’ll be offered it in the UK (32 and in fine fettle). Next Saturday, a Boris & Boris one shot and then I’m coming for my battered chips, fish and gravy with my shiny blue vaccine passport.

You'll be arrested at customs for planning to commit a food crime. The authorities have already been informed of your evil intentions

You will have to quarantine in a gravyless chip shop of the governments choosing at a cost of £200 a night (food not included) for an entire month

Edited by bickster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

People thinking 'yeah it's normal we need a vaccination to work from the office'. 

It is. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Some of my colleagues are like this, they’ve spent the entire lockdown staying in the house. Not even going to supermarkets for food or for walks to clear their heads. I mentioned that I was driving down to Telford to seen my mum who lives alone and hasn’t seen anyone for a year (technically I’m her bubble), the reaction was to question me about whether that’s really necessary!

There’s a lot of fear out there, and I’m all for being careful but some people are so scared to death of catching the virus that they’ve boxed themselves in completely. They are really going to struggle with the transition to normality. 

It's incredible how the human brain works - while it's not healthy, they should learn to adapt, (and it's a bit stupid to live in fear of this virus) I don't blame your colleagues at all.

We are programmed to think that so many people die - not that the mortality is somewhere around the 1-1.5% for the average person, and if you look after yourself, exercise, don't eat shit, that mortality is likely to drastically drop down further. 

We tend to look at the worst case scenarios. I know flying is mostly safe, but I hate flying and I'm scared of it. I do fly, and I know it's stupid to fear it, but I can't help it.

While I'm terrified, I know I have to get on with it because it's incredibly unlikely something bad will happen in an airplane. I wonder if the people who are terrified of the virus will live to think similarly?

Surely it won't be like this in 2025?

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Some of my colleagues are like this, they’ve spent the entire lockdown staying in the house. Not even going to supermarkets for food or for walks to clear their heads. I mentioned that I was driving down to Telford to seen my mum who lives alone and hasn’t seen anyone for a year (technically I’m her bubble), the reaction was to question me about whether that’s really necessary!

There’s a lot of fear out there, and I’m all for being careful but some people are so scared to death of catching the virus that they’ve boxed themselves in completely. They are really going to struggle with the transition to normality. 

I don't think any of these people live in Liverpool

We know we've been relatively busy in comparison to other companies worldwide but we were told yesterday by our software suppliers, that we have been the company with the most active cars worldwide that use their services during the pandemic. That might sound like a small boast but we use an Aussie company and they are one of the very few players in the market that can handle very large fleets, they essentially run nearly every cab firm in Australia, large fleet in Singapore, Scandinavia, the US. The Aussie Cab firms are HUGE monolithic companies that cover entire states

I get the impression that this city have been consistently breaking Lockdown for the best part of a year now.

28 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

There’s a lot of fear out there, and I’m all for being careful but some people are so scared to death of catching the virus that they’ve boxed themselves in completely. 

150,000 dead with brilliant early vaccine rollout and lockdown will make most sane people a tad worried. 

• Like 2

Maybe this has been discussed, but I haven't seen in. With the rumours of need for a shot 3-4 etc. to keep the vaccination effect going. What's the likelihood of this becoming an annual vaccination?

If it becomes and annual thing, will it most likely be for those who are in the risk groups like we already see for other influenzas? Or will the degree of contagion mean we need to vaccinate everyone?

Since vaccination doesn't actually offer immunity I assume the degree of contagion is relevant when it comes to keeping the infections down?

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

We had a zoom team meeting yesterday and were presented with 4 options:

Work from home only going into an office very infrequently.

Work from office

Predominantly work from home with option to go into office

Predominantly work from office with option to work from home

Pretty much everyone chose option 1. I chose option 3. Then everyone was asked for any concerns they had if they had to go back into office and I was shocked by some of the things people came out with. Such things as how would I know what the person I am sat by had been up to, where they'd been the night before, who they had been in contact with, if they were socially distancing away from office etc. How will we know who has/hasn't had the vaccine.

As part of my job I spend 50% of my time on site so have since covid came about continued to be out and about, interacting with people etc. Those who have been totally home based though it was clear are now seeing the world as a scary place and even simple interactions with colleagues are now a big deal. I can understand them being anxious but the longer they live like this the harder it will be to get back to normal.

I am under no illusions where I work we will never go back to all being in the office again. I ideally want the option to go in sometimes though just so I can separate the home/work environment.

I was listening to PM last night, and they had a segment where a woman reported from some sort of social event in Liverpool, where there were about a hundred people indoors (not sure what it was, she didn't say and I turned it off before the explanation). It was only brief segment, but the whole thing was her literally gasping at the sight of people without masks, gasping at somebody brushing her elbow while walking past, etc. If I'd heard it before covid I would have assumed it was about a woman with some crippling phobia trying to get over her fears.

It's hard for me to understand, because I just don't feel that way, but obviously it's going to take some people a loooong time to get over this year. Sadly, I think the politics that this phobia of other people will bring is going to be horrific.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Maybe this has been discussed, but I haven't seen in. With the rumours of need for a shot 3-4 etc. to keep the vaccination effect going. What's the likelihood of this becoming an annual vaccination?

If it becomes and annual thing, will it most likely be for those who are in the risk groups like we already see for other influenzas? Or will the degree of contagion mean we need to vaccinate everyone?

Since vaccination doesn't actually offer immunity I assume the degree of contagion is relevant when it comes to keeping the infections down?

Apparently the 60m extra Pfizer doses the UK Government ordered yesterday are for Autumn booster jabs and it's uncertain if they are for new variants, but most reports say they are still just the existing vaccine. 

I suspect they will need to do at least 1 more next year for new variants.  

I would guess after that it will depend on a lot of things:

How well the global vaccination rollout has gone

How well this controls all known variations

How long immunity lasts for

How much Coronavirus remains in general circulation 

How many new variants emerge. 

Most experts seem to think it's here forever and we will need annual jabs, at least for the most vulnerable will be needed, however the vaccines seem to work much better than anyone hoped, and seem to stop transmission better than they hoped.  Bearing in mind these vaccines were also their very first efforts developed in a hurry who knows. Maybe a second generation of vaccines will come out which are even more effective and we can get to the point where the virus can be backed into a corner with no way to spread. 

These mRNA vaccines are a brand new technology, maybe we can beat diseases in ways never thought possible before. 

I think a big key is going to be getting third world countries vaccinated so pockets don't remain to spring up all the time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

There are already second generation vaccines in development, they may completely change the game

But....

for other influenzas

This is not the flu.

22 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Probably just the vulnerable and elderly. I get a flu jab every year. I imagine I'll be getting a covid one with it in future. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's already endemic and the question now if of persistence, i.,e will it become the flu, with yearly flare-ups and vaccines programs or will it die off in coming years as happened after the 1918 pandemic. The human immune system is really good at adapting to these corona viruses, which while they do mutate, do so much less aggressively than the flu. My reading is that this is very much an unknown right now.

As things open back up (NYC announced full opening come June 1 this morn), I'm interested when the messaging changes to using endemic instead of pandemic or perhaps that's somewhat silly given the ongoing outbreaks globally.

Going to the office occasionally but working from home most of the time seems the best model for working to me.  This is as someone who doesn't have the option to work from home and wants to chin several colleagues.  I can understand why people miss the interaction but I reckon it won't be long until that novelty wears off.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mic09 said:

It's incredible how the human brain works - while it's not healthy, they should learn to adapt, (and it's a bit stupid to live in fear of this virus) I don't blame your colleagues at all.

We are programmed to think that so many people die - not that the mortality is somewhere around the 1-1.5% for the average person, and if you look after yourself, exercise, don't eat shit, that mortality is likely to drastically drop down further. 

We tend to look at the worst case scenarios. I know flying is mostly safe, but I hate flying and I'm scared of it. I do fly, and I know it's stupid to fear it, but I can't help it.

While I'm terrified, I know I have to get on with it because it's incredibly unlikely something bad will happen in an airplane. I wonder if the people who are terrified of the virus will live to think similarly?

Surely it won't be like this in 2025?

improvise adapt overcome

OORAH !!

Â