Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

Still showing as over 40s, was hoping it would drop to 38 so I can book mine 

Me too, I hoped by today I’d be able to book. Maybe tomorrow is the day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trekka said:

I got hit with the shivers on Saturday night so had an early night.  Was very achey and I felt tired yesterday but I've woke up feeling fine today :).

Had the shivers then the sweats twice last night, only just woke up achey after finally sleeping in the morning. Rough night.

Ah great, and now the day after MPs are considering an extended travel ban. Let’s just close all borders forever, unless you’re rich of course.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Ah great, and now the day after MPs are considering an extended travel ban. Let’s just close all borders forever, unless you’re rich of course.

I bet Stanley Johnson manages to get out to his Greek holiday home for “essential business”.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I bet Stanley Johnson manages to get out to his Greek holiday home for “essential business”.

Isn't there an explicit exception in the rules for people to visit property they own overseas?

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Isn't there an explicit exception in the rules for people to visit property they own overseas?

The location of such properties is also the main deciding factor for the country traffic light system I bet.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don’t know, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest. 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t know, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest. 

Looking at the rules, there is less of an exception than I thought: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-declaration-form-for-international-travel#rules-and-exemptions

The only one I can see that is explicitly related to property is a reasonable excuse to 'carry out activities related to buying, selling, letting or renting a residential property'.

Presumably if eg Stanley Johnson wants a holiday in Greece badly enough, he can set up an apparent forthcoming rental transaction that mysteriously falls through when he arrives.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The only one I can see that is explicitly related to property is a reasonable excuse to 'carry out activities related to buying, selling, letting or renting a residential property'.

It’s so open ended he wouldn’t even need to be that imaginative. Could just say there was a bulb that needed changing. It doesn’t even say that the activities must not be possible without you going.

As @fightoffyour said, rich people will be fine and able to get out to their holiday homes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

It'll be Christmas before I get to see Turkey at this rate! 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Had the shivers then the sweats twice last night, only just woke up achey after finally sleeping in the morning. Rough night.

Going by my experience and lots of others, it should hopefully soon pass if it hasn't started to already :).

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Does it include you actually owning the property in question? As that wording implies I can rent a villa and go on holiday

As said before, restrictions on travel, even when vaccinated is the most absurd policy I've ever heard.

They don't want us plebs to get back to normal.

Lets look at the what the EU are suggesting

Today, the Commission is proposing that Member States ease the current restrictions on non-essential travel into the EU to take into account the progress of vaccination campaigns and developments in the epidemiological situation worldwide.

The Commission proposes to allow entry to the EU for non-essential reasons not only for all persons coming from countries with a good epidemiological situation but also all people who have received the last recommended dose of an EU-authorised vaccine. This could be extended to vaccines having completed the WHO emergency use listing process. In addition, the Commission proposes to raise, in line with the evolution of the epidemiological situation in the EU, the threshold related to the number of new COVID-19 cases used to determine a list of countries from which all travel should be permitted. This should allow the Council to expand this list.  

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_2121

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

Sorry Stefan, but this is conspiracy theory nonsense. 'They' very much DO want us plebs to get back to normal, so we're spending a shitload of money on travel, and stopping the airlines from folding. 

That said, I guess there could be a Brexit factor in keeping the spending on UK holidays. 

I can't agree Mike.

Look at the latest protest bill.

The restrictions they're proposing benefit the rich, and screw everyone else. Typical Tory bullshit. 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Vaccine passports not looking such a bad idea now 😉 

Well that's the sinister thing.

When vaccine passports were first floated, people were massively against them as a huge restriction on liberties.

The new ideas are much worse, making the vaccine passports look normal.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Does it include you actually owning the property in question? As that wording implies I can rent a villa and go on holiday

I agree the wording is useless, but presumably you do actually need to own or be responsible for the property, rather than be renting it . . .

Â