Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

It still slightly worries me that I had zero reaction to AZ#1. I keep thinking it hasn't worked properly. 

I think it's only about 10% that have a reaction. 90% are just like you (and me for that matter)

50 minutes ago, sidcow said:

My dad (76) has had  doses and took an antibody test which he says showed zero antibodies.

I suspect he didn't do the test properly (was a home test) of it was a faulty test.

My mum said he seemed quite proud of it :blink:

I’ve been trying to think why on earth he would think that?! 😯

Assuming there was sufficient time between the inoculation and the test for antibodies, I would definitely lean towards assuming the test being faulty or inaccurate.

EDIT: I’ve noted your Dad had doses so definitely enough time to generate antibodies and most likely to be a faulty test.

Edited by brommy

2 minutes ago, brommy said:

I’ve been trying to think why on earth he would think that?! 😯

Assuming there was sufficient time between the inoculation and the test for antibodies, I would definitely lean towards assuming the test being faulty or inaccurate.

Mainly because he is as mad as a box of frogs

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dubbs said:

Anyone here had a reaction to the Astra jab?  Had mine yesterday and my temperature hasn't been below 38 since about 7 last night.  I had covid over Christmas and I don't remember it feeling this bad.   

I was fine. Apart from my legs being a little bit heavy the next day. Paracetamol sorted that out.

3 of my mates though suffered with it. All bed bound. Bizarrely they are all much fitter than me physically. My sloth like exercise regime and dumpster diet has obviously boosted my immune system!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Been nice to have a distraction from this topic - but amazing news today - 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56826976

It appears that the first doses of vaccines have been having a dramatic effect on Covid infections.

Some 74,000 people were admitted to hopsitals with the virus in recent months, but only 32 who had had the vaccine, according to official data.

Yeah, I was about to post that.

It raises the question, they keep talking about the the "third wave"  What does that mean, what does it look like?

If those are the figures after 1 dose, they are going to be lower than  doses.   It already has been proved that they go a long way to stopping transmission.

It's hard to see a third wave being an apocalyptic disaster at this stage.  The only thing that could now cause significant problems is if these variants manage to get hold before boosters start in the Autumn I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, I was about to post that.

It raises the question, they keep talking about the the "third wave"  What does that mean, what does it look like?

If those are the figures after 1 dose, they are going to be lower than  doses.   It already has been proved that they go a long way to stopping transmission.

It's hard to see a third wave being an apocalyptic disaster at this stage.  The only thing that could now cause significant problems is if these variants manage to get hold before boosters start in the Autumn I think.

Yeah I think so too - bound to be some variant that will find it easier to infect than others but the baseline protection from the vaccine across most of the population should nip things in the bud and buy enough time. I'm no scientist but the problems in other countries seem to have been down to opening up too quick with not enough vaccinated people - can't see that issue here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I am speaking to colleagues in India and they are confirming that it’s absolutely awful at the moment.

The UK is very much out of sync with a lot of the world at the moment.

Yes, that graph above pretty much shows that.. Upward lines all over the graph. 

A lot of countries are currently seeing increases and are also now opening up 😲😲

6 hours ago, astondalston said:

The picture in India is unspeakably grim at the moment and the sheer volume of cases will have consequences for everywhere else.

I doubt I’m alone in this but the only surprising thing about what’s happening in India is that it’s taken this long.

I found it curious through most of the past 12 months that India, and specifically India, given their over-populated metropolitan areas and a total lack of regard (or perhaps, capacity) for personal space, had not been hit more badly. 

• Like 1

I'm not surprised.  The PM has this brand new super cricker stadium named after him and they let over 60k in for a couple of the England games and I barely saw any precautions being taken whatsoever.  He probably put his ego above the safety of the people and so far it seems a lot of the worst-hit countries have had idiots in charge.

• Like 2

I keep an eye on the statistics every day and compare them to the same day the week before.

In almost every category (deaths, new cases, admitted to hospital, in hospital, on ventilators) the number compared to the preceding week day has been lower across every category every day for about 3 months now.

The shops and outdoor pubs have been open for over a week now so you would expect to start seeing upticks in new cases around now but no, they are still gradually creeping downwards.  Hopefully this continues.

The vaccination programme continues at a pace.  Even in this slowdown period the first doses are still averaging at well over 100,000 per day.  Second doses are obviously flying in.

Hopefully those in the 30-40 age group still maintain the high take up when their turn comes.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I am speaking to colleagues in India and they are confirming that it’s absolutely awful at the moment.

Same. 3 of our support staff are off ill with covid at the moment. Fingers crossed they are ok, as they are sound guys. 

56 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

First jab of AZ last night and like others feeling bloody awful now. 

Oh well. Needs to be done. 

You'll be fine tomorrow and 80% of the way to stopping the Rona in its tracks in 3 weeks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

First jab of AZ last night and like others feeling bloody awful now. 

Oh well. Needs to be done. 

Same here. Had first AZ yesterday afternoon. Sore arm and the rest of me in tatters. Time to suck it up.

• Like 1

Â