Generic Virus Thread

villakram

15 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Has it been demonstrated what level of protection AZ/Pfizer has against the SA/Indian variants yet? 

The Indian one is new so I don't think anyone knows anything much.

SA and Brazil they just say not as much chance of preventing it and stopping mild infection, ie not as good as against the normal strain, and also not as good as Pfizer/Moderna, but should still stop most serious cases and deaths. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Same here. Had first AZ yesterday afternoon. Sore arm and the rest of me in tatters. Time to suck it up.

The AZ jab kicked my ass for 2 days after having it Sunday morning.  Felt a bit breathless yesterday morning but kept up with lots of fluids and paracetamol and feeling fine again now.   Hope you're better soon 👍

• Thanks 1

i was due to meet up with friends for the first time this saturday until I received the letter calling me and my partner for our jabs. We've pushed back meeting up until the sunday. Beginning to worry I won't be in any state to do that now :( 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-56836877

Novavax: Billingham plant on track to make 60 million doses

A factory on Teesside making the new Novavax Covid-19 vaccine is on target to make the 60 million doses ordered by the UK, bosses have confirmed.

Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies in Billingham began production in February ahead of approval for its use, which is expected within weeks. 

About 300 people have started around-the-clock shifts at the plant.

The firm's CEO Martin Meeson said the vaccine would be ready by the summer, adding he was "proud" of his team

He said: "I'm extremely proud of the work we are doing here. For us though, we've been producing life-impacting therapeutics and vaccines at this site for over 30 years.

"I was born on Teesside and now I'm able to direct the manufacture of this vaccine across the world from Teesside.

"I have a particular sense of pride to be able to do this at this site.

Novavax is currently being assessed by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency.

The jab, which is given in two doses, was shown to be 89.3% effective at preventing Covid-19 in participants in its Phase 3 clinical trial in the UK, and about 86% effective at protecting against the UK variant.

Like the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, the Novavax jab can be stored at regular fridge temperature, which means it can be distributed more easily.

Prof Adam Finn, a member of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), who is based at Bristol University, said the vaccine was a "vital tool" in the fight against the pandemic.

He said: "It's very reassuring to know that this vaccine is capable of preventing disease, and more importantly, and although with small numbers, that it's absolutely reliable at preventing severe disease.

"It's another really important tool in the toolbox.

Prof Finn said information about how effective the vaccine was against new variants of the virus would "come with time".

"We will see initially with laboratory results using the blood samples obtained from people who've been immunised with this vaccine," he said.

"They can be looked at in the lab against these strains to see how well those antibodies neutralise the virus.

"But that's only part of the story - there are other means by which the immune response fights the virus that may not be picked up by those lab experiments.

"So what we will see when this vaccine starts to be used, is its efficiency in the real world against these different versions of the virus circulating in different countries."

He said the jab would be "reformulated" over time to fight virus variants, and added that having multiple types of vaccine meant they could offer more choice, reducing the risk of "rare side effects".

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

i was due to meet up with friends for the first time this saturday until I received the letter calling me and my partner for our jabs. We've pushed back meeting up until the sunday. Beginning to worry I won't be in any state to do that now :( 

No point worrying about it mate. It doesn't affect everyone the same and if it does I'm sure you can push your plans back a couple of days. Hope it goes OK anyway 👍

So the EU are now suing AstraZeneca for not providing enough of the vaccines they promised to.

Not enough of the vaccines they don't want to use and are backing up in storage...........

Also, how is this going to benefit the global vaccine rollout?

Madness

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've got colleagues in India and to be honest my only surprise is how it took this long to be so devastating there. 

Yup, and that is why I am so suspicious of China's excellent figures. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

So the EU are now suing AstraZeneca for not providing enough of the vaccines they promised to.

Not enough of the vaccines they don't want to use and are backing up in storage...........

Madness

They prefer 39 in a million got blood clots from Covid-19, plus all the usual illness and death as opposed to 4 in a million chance of a blood clot after having the vaccine (and much less illness and death).

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yup, and that is why I am so suspicious of China's excellent figures. 

I suspect there are a lot of areas around the world far worse hit than official figures are saying.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

India records 314k cases in a day 😲

So probably over 1 million cases in reality, if not more. The lack of availability of testing plus the high percentage of asymptomatic people means the numbers wont be close to accurate. Death rate is also way higher than what's being reported. 

Virus wins. 

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Madness

The Office Politics GIF

12 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Why have so many 20-39 year old had the vaccine when most 40-49 year olds haven’t been offered it yet.

I guess a good portion of that could be front line staff, carers, the ill or vulnerable in some way.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I guess a good portion of that could be front line staff, carers, the ill or vulnerable in some way.

I was shocked at how big the group for people with medical conditions was. 

38 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

One very clear sign that the bolded account for a large part of the reason is that so many more women than men in the 20-39 range have been jabbed.

• Like 1

Â