Generic Virus Thread

villakram

8 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I was shocked by some of the things people came out with. Such things as how would I know what the person I am sat by had been up to, where they'd been the night before, who they had been in contact with, if they were socially distancing away from office etc. How will we know who has/hasn't had the vaccine.

As part of my job I spend 50% of my time on site so have since covid came about continued to be out and about, interacting with people etc. Those who have been totally home based though it was clear are now seeing the world as a scary place and even simple interactions with colleagues are now a big deal. I can understand them being anxious but the longer they live like this the harder it will be to get back to normal.

I am under no illusions where I work we will never go back to all being in the office again. I ideally want the option to go in sometimes though just so I can separate the home/work environment.

Like you say, people have been brainwashed into thinking this way. Shit scared of being close to anyone. 

It almost feels deliberate. A way to scare people. A way to control people. I know its a bit tin hat..

I want to get back into busy pubs and sweaty clubs (insert KW) and bustling cities. I don't want to remain a prisoner in my home. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Had a company wide "briefing" from our CEO today, via Teams. He wants everyone back in the office asap. His reasoning - "I couldn't get a table at a restaurant in Central London yesterday because it was so busy. People are happy to socialize, but apprehensive about returning to an office. I want to see everyone in." This was to 300 people. Nothing better than basing your company policy on sweeping generalizations eh? And I'm not paraphrasing my CEO. He really said this.

What a dickhead he is. You still can't dine indoors so it was probably a handful of outdoor tables that were fully booked. 

• Like 2

Maybe one for @villakramor @maqroll or someone, but what do Americans think about vaccines just been handed out freely (I'm assuming they are free) to all and sundry.

Isn't it a bit free medical care ish? I'm suprised there aren't protests or something. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yep me too but I really can't be arsed with all this booking a slot shit. I look forward to the day I can walk up the road for a pint in the local pub (which has been done up and looks nice), then jump on the train for one stop and go on a bit of a mini pub crawl in the village with my mates

Before thats OK I can't be arsed if the truth be known.

^^^^  This.

Booking slots and social distancing is not 'back to normal'. When it's really back to normal, I'll be there. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Had a company wide "briefing" from our CEO today, via Teams. He wants everyone back in the office asap. His reasoning - "I couldn't get a table at a restaurant in Central London yesterday because it was so busy. People are happy to socialize, but apprehensive about returning to an office. I want to see everyone in." This was to 300 people. Nothing better than basing your company policy on sweeping generalizations eh? And I'm not paraphrasing my CEO. He really said this.

I felt very angry at this and offered my resignation to my boss. I've been shielding since the first lockdown and haven't even been to the corner shop. I walk my dog in the fields and go to hospital every 8 weeks. That's it for my "socializing". I'm extremely vulnerable to covid so have been very cautious.

Sounds like constructive dismissal to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, limpid said:

Sounds like constructive dismissal to me.

I think you're right. He's made comments about being back in the office before, but this time it was definitive.

Over the last 12-14 months there's been so much made of people being lucky to be in work because of the impact of covid on the economy, but I think the wider public simply have not recognized that so many companies would have gone to the wall if people hadn't carried on as normal whilst juggling families and/or crisis with work. My CEO certainly doesn't recognize that.

6 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I think you're right. He's made comments about being back in the office before, but this time it was definitive.

Over the last 12-14 months there's been so much made of people being lucky to be in work because of the impact of covid on the economy, but I think the wider public simply have not recognized that so many companies would have gone to the wall if people hadn't carried on as normal whilst juggling families and/or crisis with work. My CEO certainly doesn't recognize that.

IANAL, but I think that after 12+ months of working from home, that is now your place of work, de facto and de jure. Most employment law is built around "usual practice" and working from home is now your usual practice.

I think some employers will get some unexpected changes forced on them as the claims for unfair / constructive dismissals start to land. And then there's the claims for expenses for travelling to the office...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

IANAL, but I think that after 12+ months of working from home, that is now your place of work, de facto and de jure. Most employment law is built around "usual practice" and working from home is now your usual practice.

I think some employers will get some unexpected changes forced on them as the claims for unfair / constructive dismissals start to land. And then there's the claims for expenses for travelling to the office...

Never heard of IANAL before but a quick Google search and I've had my lesson for the day. Thanks!

The technology is there to support greater home working, unified comms, hosted technology etc, all you need is an internet connection. A lot of companies have invested in this to support their staff. However there will always be a case for some office working, but I agree entirely with you regarding enforced changes. I believe there will also have to be enforced changes as a result of social distancing in the workplace. Some offices I've worked in have been 2 steps below a battery farm.

• Like 1

Our lockdown starts at midnight. This morning I've seen 7* different buses going to different weddings, plus various cars and jeeps, because obviously today it's totally safe to have massive parties, with guaranteed zero social distancing and masks almost certainly coming off for photos, dancing and after a few drinks.

It's hard not to feel a lot of Nepal's problems are not self-inflicted.

*I've only been outside twice, once to buy water and once for groceries (I can't carry both at the same time), probably for no more than 25 minutes in total. How many more buses have there been the rest of the morning?

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Like you say, people have been brainwashed into thinking this way. Shit scared of being close to anyone. 

It almost feels deliberate. A way to scare people. A way to control people. I know its a bit tin hat..

I want to get back into busy pubs and sweaty clubs (insert KW) and bustling cities. I don't want to remain a prisoner in my home. 

Man its becoming so tiresome with some people. If you want to live your life in fear 99.9% of the time whats the point of living?

Like fancy coming to sit in the garden?

"How bigs your garden" 

How far apart are your chairs

Can i get to your garden without walking into the house?

Will you be wearing masks? 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

Â