Generic Virus Thread

villakram

19 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I know the numbers of infections in India are high, 330k reported today, but they have a population of 1.4 billion so 20x that of UK. Even 500k infections a day in India is only the equivalent to 25k here. At its worst in UK we were getting 60k+ infections a day. 

Really do feel for those in India though as seems the hospitals have become overwhelmed and there is a shortage of oxygen.

The situation there is serious.

Not saying this was just the reason but having so many people going to these mass gatherings this was always going to happen unless a majoirty of the population had recieved the vaccine

78k were in the MCG today in Melbourne for an Aussie rules game.  8k at Wembley today for the league cup final.  We have some way to go but hopefully by start of next footie season we'll be back to capacity in stadiums. 

On 24/04/2021 at 12:17, limpid said:

Had my second dose (AZ) yesterday morning. No side effects again.

I do have a bit of a headache, but I'm blaming the wine :mrgreen:

Thought the UK vaccinated the 70 year olds ages ago 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Jab 1 injected! Had the Moderna...

The vaccination process was pretty swift but not helped by swathes of plymothian janners desperate to buy someone else’s second hand tat from the car boot sale taking up most of the car park 🤪😡

First I've heard of real world Moderna.  This is a Moderna World as Weller once said. 

• Haha 1

On 23/04/2021 at 22:57, markavfc40 said:

I know the numbers of infections in India are high, 330k reported today, but they have a population of 1.4 billion so 20x that of UK. Even 500k infections a day in India is only the equivalent to 25k here. At its worst in UK we were getting 60k+ infections a day. 

Really do feel for those in India though as seems the hospitals have become overwhelmed and there is a shortage of oxygen.

It's not just the numbers but the serious lack of health infrastructure. There are also issues now about access to and availability of testing, so actual cases are likely much higher.

I'm next door in Nepal, 40km away from the open border and feeling very nervous right now.

• Like 1

Apparently Villa feature in the new TV advert with a Villa fan turning up at Villa Park for his Vaccination saying it's the biggest turnout we've had all season. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Apparently Villa feature in the new TV advert with a Villa fan turning up at Villa Park for his Vaccination saying it's the biggest turnout we've had all season. 

Technically true though

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

If it was St Andrews he could have said all decade.

Over 2,800 Covid deaths in India in the past 24 hours. A lot are being attributed to lack of oxygen supplies. I know they have a wide disparity of wealth in that country but this isn’t new, I’d have thought they’d have prepared for this. 

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

Over 2,800 Covid deaths in India in the past 24 hours. A lot are being attributed to lack of oxygen supplies. I know they have a wide disparity of wealth in that country but this isn’t new, I’d have thought they’d have prepared for this. 

It might not be all that easy to prepare for oxygen shortages on this scale. Presumably storage is something of a challenge?

I see the NHS COVID vaccine website now states anyone aged 44 and over.  It's coming down! I'm hopeful that in the next few weeks I'll be able to book online (me being aged 40).  

1 minute ago, trekka said:

I see the NHS COVID vaccine website now states anyone aged 44 and over.  It's coming down! I'm hopeful that in the next few weeks I'll be able to book online (me being aged 40).  

They've said in the next few days they will be announcing plans for the 40-44 age group.

I suspect the dribble of Moderna vaccines will get a bit more mainstream soon.

• Thanks 1

Interesting snippet this morning was that USA are relaxing export rules to allow India to produce more of the Astrazeneca vaccine.

I wonder how much global manufacture of Vaccines is being held up by USA not allowing export of certain key raw materials.

Edited by sidcow

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Interesting snippet this morning was that USA are relaxing export rules to allow India to produce more of the Astrazeneca vaccine.

I wonder how much global manufacture of Vaccines is being held up by USA not allowing export of certain key raw materials.

(AIUI) Partly, but the much bigger issue is patent rights.

Had my second jab on Saturday and other than feeling a little tired (basically my symptoms when I had covid), I've had some proper lucid dreams. I spoke to a colleague and he said he had the same after his second jab too. Strange.

Â