Generic Virus Thread

villakram

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The Y axis is not particularly intuitive, but I think just reflects the organisation of the underlying dataset.

7 hours ago, villakram said:

UK pop really this young? Surprising if so!

Yes it’s just that the age brackets are in groups of 5 years down to 50 then it doubles to groups of 10 years down to 20 when it doubles again for the rest. Accounting for that it looks pretty evenly distributed by eye, including all over 80s being about the same size group as any typical 5 year range.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The Y axis is not particularly intuitive, but I think just reflects the organisation of the underlying dataset.

Yes the oldies have been split in groups of 5 years while the younger groups are showing 10 or 20 years worth so it gives a bit of a false impression of the demographic at first glance. It makes it look more like a population chart you'd see for somewhere like India 🙂 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villakram said:

UK pop really this young? Surprising if so!

This is the population split into 5 year bands. The reduction in the younger population is going to be a problem in the future as there will be few taxpayers when my generation (largest bracket overall) are geriatrics. 

Screenshot_20210117-104704_Opera.jpg

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More evidence vaccines stop infection but interestingly seems to back up the 12 week delay for Pfizer. As Europe have stuck to the 4 week gap does that mean that their Pfizer jabs might no be quite as effective as ours? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56844220

One Covid vaccine cuts infection risk in all age groups

The chances of becoming infected by Covid fell sharply after a first dose of either the AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccines, a UK study has found.

The vaccines worked just as well in the over-75s and those with underlying health conditions, as other people.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) and University of Oxford research also found a strong antibody response in all age groups from both jabs.

Everyone showed some response to both vaccines, they said.

The research, contained in two studies which have not yet been peer-reviewed or published, is based on virus tests from 370,000 people in the general UK population - one of the largest to date.

It provides further real-world evidence that the vaccines being used in the UK to protect against Covid-19 are effective at protecting people against coronavirus infections.

In the first study, people who had been vaccinated with a single dose of either the Oxford-AstraZeneca or Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines were 65% less likely to get a new Covid infection.

Three weeks after their jab, given between December 2020 and early April 2021, infections with symptoms fell by 74%, while infections with no reported symptoms fell by 57%.

Those who had received a second vaccine dose of Pfizer were 90% less likely to be infected. The same calculation could not be made for AZ, because too few people in the study had received a second dose as its rollout started later.

The study showed both vaccines were effective against the Kent variant (B117) which was circulating at the time.

Dr Koen Pouwels, senior researcher in University of Oxford's Nuffield Department of Population Health, said the data backed up the decision to extend the gap between doses.

"The protection from new infections gained from a single dose supports the decision to extend the time between first and second doses to 12 weeks to maximise initial vaccination coverage, and reduce hospitalisations and deaths," he said.

However, he said the figures showed there was still a chance vaccinated people could acquire Covid again and pass it to others, emphasising the need for social distancing and masks.

The second study, in nearly 46,000 adults who had been vaccinated with one dose, found strong antibody responses - a sign that the vaccines are stimulating the body's defence system to protect against the virus - in all age groups.

These antibody responses were "broadly sustained out to 10 weeks afterwards", the researchers said.

Although antibody levels rose more slowly and to a lower level with a single dose of Oxford-AstraZeneca, they dropped more quickly after one Pfizer dose, particularly in older age groups.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This is the population split into 5 year bands. The reduction in the younger population is going to be a problem in the future as there will be few taxpayers when my generation (largest bracket overall) are geriatrics. 

Screenshot_20210117-104704_Opera.jpg

The drop off in UK youth won’t be a problem.

As we are part of the EU, youth from all over can come in where there is a need, where there are jobs to be filled.

It will be a well worn path so people will simply be ‘commuting’ larger distances for a few years to earn money. It’s a tried and tested system As long as nothing stupid disrupts the system we’ll be fine. Your carer could well be a young Romanian or Italian. The crew in the coffee shop paying tax might be Portuguese. The guy in KwikFit paying taxes could be Polish.

Oh, hang on... news just in...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Curfew starts here tomorrow

Allowed to leave the house between 10pm and 5am

Going backwards, rates as high as they've ever been 

At least the prostitution industry will be ok

• Haha 2

Just now, villa4europe said:

* not

😉

In seriousness though that’s pretty shitty. I thought that the milder weather, people getting outdoors more etc would be having more of an impact. And that’s before vaccinations are taken into account.

stay strong.

• Thanks 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56856103/page/2

Posted at 10:0210:02

UK should be 'very highly immune' by end of summer

The UK population will be "very highly immune" to Covid-19 by the end of the summer if vaccination rates continue to be high, a leading scientist says.

Prof Adam Finn, a member of the government's Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, says results from a study that found the chances of becoming infected by the virus fell sharply after one dose of either the AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccines, are "really good news".

“We knew already these vaccines were really, really good at stopping you from getting seriously ill with Covid but what this is telling us is they can pretty reliably stop you getting the infection at all – even after first dose," he tells BBC Radio 5 Live.

He says this has "enormous implications" for the UK because it will become harder for the virus to transmit.

"We’re going to get what we call population immunity or herd immunity," he adds.

Herd immunity is when enough of a population has protection against an infection that it stops being able to spread - and even people who don't themselves have immunity are indirectly protected.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Whats vacc rates like in Germany?

Honest, I dont know, one of my favourite things about living here is I have no exposure to the news

Word of mouth suggests no one has a clue, think we're still at over 80s,the mid 60s in laws still don't have a date for theirs, the numbers are poor and the info being shared is poor 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Honest, I dont know, one of my favourite things about living here is I have no exposure to the news

Word of mouth suggests no one has a clue, think we're still at over 80s,the mid 60s in laws still don't have a date for theirs, the numbers are poor and the info being shared is poor 

To be honest that sounds like bliss. Hopefully shouldn’t be too long and at least you’ll be able to open up quicker if it’s proven to work here. Have to admit I don’t get the curfew though, the virus doesn’t just come out at night!

Edited by a m ole

I know the numbers of infections in India are high, 330k reported today, but they have a population of 1.4 billion so 20x that of UK. Even 500k infections a day in India is only the equivalent to 25k here. At its worst in UK we were getting 60k+ infections a day. 

Really do feel for those in India though as seems the hospitals have become overwhelmed and there is a shortage of oxygen.

Edited by markavfc40

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

Whats vacc rates like in Germany?

I read that Germany and France had massively improved on this and are at a similar pace we got up to several weeks, if not months ago.  We had the 'benefit' of being in lockdown at the same time so had a double effect on the infection levels.

49 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I read that Germany and France had massively improved on this and are at a similar pace we got up to several weeks, if not months ago.  We had the 'benefit' of being in lockdown at the same time so had a double effect on the infection levels.

We're still double the percentage of population compared to Germany and 3 x France though. They have a couple more uncomfortable months ahead of them yet I think. 

Â