Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

he's a striker so he's already better than what we've got

whether or not he'll be any good I honestly haven't got a clue, he wont be worse than Hogan or McCormack but he's not haaland, anywhere in between

I do think the same as Wesley, the team has goals in it, judging him purely on his scoring as he starts out is harsh, the attack as a unit has to be better and he's a big part of it obviously

Like I say, I'm waiting to see what he does on the pitch for us. He has a pretty good record but at a lesser level, I'm personally not going to get excited, if others want to then that's perfectly fine. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

I’m not too optimistic because 1) I’m a villa fan and therefore not programmed that way and 2) we haven’t exactly had resounding success from the Belgian league.

That being said, I do love the guy. I hope he does well as he will be a massive fan favourite and I’m enjoying having all of Tanzania supporting us. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’m not too optimistic because 1) I’m a villa fan and therefore not programmed that way and 2) we haven’t exactly had resounding success from the Belgian league.

That being said, I do love the guy. I hope he does well as he will be a massive fan favourite and I’m enjoying having all of Tanzania supporting us. 

🤨

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

For me that's not the case on here for the majority. There seemed to be almost an overwhelming amount of excitement last summer and the same was the case in 2015. These experiences have made me a lot more cautious given the sheer number of players in those windows who have disappointed. 

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Like I say, I'm waiting to see what he does on the pitch for us. He has a pretty good record but at a lesser level, I'm personally not going to get excited, if others want to then that's perfectly fine. 

It's not really about 'excitement', but watching a player and trusting your eyes. As others have pointed out, plenty of raw footage of him about, he has over 190 games for a (relatively) big club. His record is outstanding no matter what the level too, it seems. Africa, Belgium, International, Europa, Champions League. 1 in 2 across the board. 

You're right, we need to see him in a Villa shirt before we know, but for me personally I'd rather go in positive than the opposite. I feel it will help the player settle as much as anything.  

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

You obviously can't tell much about a player from a youtube montage, but he seems like a pretty confident finisher. Quite a few of his goals appear to be first time instinctive strikes, without taking too many touches.  

Of course there might be another montage somewhere of him missing 80 opportunities between each strike, but I'm hoping he can come in and give everyone a lift with a few cheeky poaches on his debut!

Incidentally I heard that he's not been registered in time to be able to play tonight. Can anybody confirm/deny pls? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

You obviously can't tell much about a player from a youtube montage, 

You can also learn a bit from the views of his former clubs fans. The quality of the league's are huge obviously but it if he does fail here it seems like it won't be through want of trying. 

A warm welcome to Ally Samatta.

I've welcomed many players to Villa over a very long career as a Villa fan. I've been excited by a lot of incoming players, and I've been wrong about so many being "excellent" signings. In an era when so many signings are necessarily from abroad due to outrageous prices for home grown talent, we have to form our original opinions from hearsay and YouTube clips. Samatta's signing is no different except for the sheer number of examples of his goal scoring prowess and general team play. By contrast I watched Wesley's clips over and over again before he was confirmed as a Villa player, and I saw a big unit but no real evidence that what he did would convert to goals in the Premier League.

Ally appears to be different. For example his heading ability is something that will finally make sense of the high crosses that we routinely lob into the box, something which Wesley totally lacks. His ability to hit the target regularly will hopefully maximise the return on the relatively small number of shooting opportunities we create. His work rate will complement Jack's game, and his pace will draw space for other players as CB's try to close him down.

I may well be wrong as I've been countless times before, but this time I think we may have found a very round peg to fit a very round hole!

I look forward to hearing "Samagoal" sung regularly by our brilliantly noisy fans. 

19 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Not sure about commerical aspect but we should absolutely be making moves to get sister clubs out there for recruitment purposes, or even some sort of academy like Red Bull do.

We've got two Egyptians, a Zimbabwean and the Tanzanian Lewnadowki right now. I'd imagine our name can carry some clout if we can stay up.

Dont forget that village in Ghana that loves Villa as well

Â