Pepe Reina

Jareth

Reina back for another season? When he came in there was a mix of top saves and some dodgy stuff, but given what he's been through and how he celebrated staying up - I think it would be a good idea, until Heaton is back in contention. Not sure we need a Heaton replacement at the mo - subject to that injury. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Reina back for another season? When he came in there was a mix of top saves and some dodgy stuff, but given what he's been through and how he celebrated staying up - I think it would be a good idea, until Heaton is back in contention. Not sure we need a Heaton replacement at the mo - subject to that injury. 

It's a  yes from me on another loan. No guarantees Heaton will be sharp straight away so we need to sort something out because Nyland is finished in the PL in my opinion. 

I've had La Bamba in my head all week. That and the Egg thing over lockdown says to me he's the kind of character you want in the dressing room. 

A character is one thing , but I'd rather we had a goalkeeper who could actually save a shot  or catch crosses

it's not just  a No from me , it's a 72 pt  NO   , from me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I like Ramsdale or Etheridge as a cheap alternative, but a goalkeeper doesn't seem to be very high on the shopping list, so another loan for Reina until Heaton is ready seems shrewd. 

I don't think Ramsdale would be that cheap. Especially for a backup keeper

Not for me either. If Heaton is out for a lot of next season, or we're not confident in his recovery, we should sign (or loan) another quality keeper. Rulli at Sociedad could be a good shout.

If it's only a few weeks at the start of the season, we can probably manage with Steer. 

One things for sure. If a keeper isn't on this year's list, it will be on next year's. 

I just feel we might have more important areas this year so maybe get him (or another) back till at least January and get a new keeper next year. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

One things for sure. If a keeper isn't on this year's list, it will be on next year's. 

I just feel we might have more important areas this year so maybe get him (or another) back till at least January and get a new keeper next year. 

I’d expect Reina to be on huge wages , cannot see him coming back now with heaton due to be fit for the new season , I’d be ok with steer as back up to heaton .

It's a tricky spot we're in.

If Heaton comes back 100% we've got a top 5 keeper in the league IMO.

Sarkic leaving was a blow as that #2 spot would suit him now, I can only think they don't rate him.

We just can't have Nyland there again. The fear he sends through the defence and fans isn't worth it. I don't mind Steer, but he ain't very good.

I think a 6 month loan for Reina would suit everyone if he's up for it. It could also be useful having him around with Heaton to try work on Heaton's distribution. He'll never be brilliant, but he's fairly weak in that area as it is. 

• Like 1

Definitely an area that needs looking at.

Nyland is a joke, we must get rid. Need to offload Kalinic too.

Wouldn’t be averse to Reina coming back (only on loan) but he is clearly past his best and not good enough as first choice. Does bring other qualities though.

Heaton is great but he & Steer are injury prone.

More than anything, what we need is reliability. Someone who can give the defence confidence. Enough of the jitters (Nyland!!!)

Throwing some easy links out -

Foster

Ramsdale

Etheridge

Butland? Maybe just needs his move to get back to form...

Edited by Jas10

I said it in another thread, but Butland is my clear choice here. He's 7 years younger than Heaton, he can be genuine competition for Heaton when he's fit and he still is on the fringes of the England squad.

It's just bad situation at Stoke and I suspect he'd return to the player he was. He's still young (especially for a keeper) but with plenty of experience and, with only a year left of his contract, would be relatively cheap. It feels like a no-brainer. He knows he'd be starting til Heaton's fit and would be fightings to keep the shirt.

Heaton and Butland would be the first real competition for the position we've had in years.

Reina did BRILLIANTLY then HORRIFICALLY in almost equal measure! His main attribute was experience but both Heaton and Butland will provide that with less mistakes. Reina is not building for the future at all. Nyland and Kalinic won't make it. Steer is the new Stuart Taylor I suspect!!

Definite no. Aside from his far-right sympathies he's just not good enough. Often caught flat-footed and rarely pulls off a save you weren't expecting him to save, which can be the difference wherever you are in the league but all the more telling when you're a struggling side.

No idea what the budget is or what the strategy is but he can't be the answer either way.

No. No. No.

Butland looked shot to pieces last year but I would be tempted to get him in he still has pedigree.

I presume the price would be heavily reduced. Cant see us going all out for a No.1 even with Heaton's injury woes.

Heaton No.1. Butland pushing him and being out he spotlight for a bit would do him wonders 

Â