Pepe Reina

Jareth

Just now, Jas10 said:

Even he’d be better than Nyland, surely?

I actually don’t think so - I think Hart has lost focus and motivation. 

Nyland tried at least but when he made an error it was usually costly. He played some blinders too though! 

Thinking about it Butland is a interesting one. I saw him at Cheltenham and you could tell he had potential. Then he went to that lot down the road. Stoke hasn't been a fantastic move for him as they have been on the slide for a few years. They could do well next year but they might want to get rid of one of their high earners. He needs a move, his career has gone down a cull-de-sac.

If Stoke are not asking for a ridiculous price it could be a good move.  Something like 5-10 million would be attractive. Heaton is a good keeper but that was a nasty injury and might take him time to come back. He might have to be rested a bit next season and given the huge fixture list another move could be a option. Steer is a solid back up so depends on what Stoke are asking for and how much money we have in the kitty. There are other areas which we need to strengthen more first.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

Big no from me. Getting stuck in quicksand for the West Ham equaliser was enough for me. And he’s only going to get worse. 

Honestly, he's made his bad mistakes for us, but that wasn't one of them. 

• Like 3

Don't want Reina back. If he hadn't been with us on loan he wouldn't even cross my mind as an option to bring in and for that reason, I'd rather we didn't bring him in due to being part of our great escape. He marshalled the defence well and is very experienced but also just not good enough anymore, his style of keeping relies on some sort of pace and he now plays like gravity works differently for him

Butland is exactly like Brad Guzan was for us in his last year for us. Confidence well and truly shot to pieces. Would rather take Etheridge who is number 2 at Cardiff but did well for them in premier league last season. There were rumours in the Welsh press we actually bid for him last summer but were turned down and then got Heaton.

It wouldn't surprise me though given our new DOF if we went after Olsen or Joronen given Lange signed and then sold them at Copenhagen and they're both first choices at international level and regulars in Serie A.

Actually looking at things if Reina goes back to sub keeper at Milan then Begovic will become available as he's doing that role now and Bournemouth will be desperate to get him off their books so he might be an option.

Stoke fans rate Begovic much higher than Butland looking at their forum but not sure what's happened to him since he left them and first went to Chelsea. We were actually linked in summer 2015.

Edited by VillaChris

Reina is well beyond his prime. Still surprised we didn’t use Sarkic after his loan recall. We need to build up our goalkeeping ranks with younger players that can be integrated and learn from veterans like Heaton. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Honestly, he's made his bad mistakes for us, but that wasn't one of them. 

It might not have looked like a mistake as there was no calamity factor, but the shot was from outside the box and dropped in only about 1 metre behind where he was standing. He took an eternity to move his feet. Any premier league goalie would have kept that out comfortably in my view. Anyway, all is well that ends well!

70 years old Reina is better than Butland. Butland would have relegated us

So dar today people want Butland and Stones. We be better off telling Premier League we are relegated already 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

It might not have looked like a mistake as there was no calamity factor, but the shot was from outside the box and dropped in only about 1 metre behind where he was standing. He took an eternity to move his feet. Any premier league goalie would have kept that out comfortably in my view. Anyway, all is well that ends well!

No. They wouldn’t. I’d argue no premier league keeper would have kept it out and if they had it would have been a phenomenal save. 

Reina was rightly moving forward to narrow the angle of the incoming shot and it got a freak deflection which meant it came at him at an angle you’d never be able to anticipate. 

He’s not at fault there. 

• Like 1

On 24/05/2020 at 23:35, The_Steve said:

Disgusted to see Reina supporting far-right anti-lockdown protests in Madrid. Sends entirely the wrong message. Vox, the party behind the protests, are profiled here.

So should we be looking for a Liberal Elite Goal Keeper?......Shot stopping from the right essential.....from the left, let them in they're welcome, corners must be negotiated by the Hause.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

I tend to take the Geordie line here, if it's good for the club it doesn't matter if he's a facist or cold blooded killer. (tongue firmly in cheek). 

Edited by Jareth

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

No. They wouldn’t. I’d argue no premier league keeper would have kept it out and if they had it would have been a phenomenal save. 

Reina was rightly moving forward to narrow the angle of the incoming shot and it got a freak deflection which meant it came at him at an angle you’d never be able to anticipate. 

He’s not at fault there. 

I don’t disagree with you as such or blame him for the goal but he did say himself right after the game it was a mistake and he misjudged his position. He said something like “I was embarrassed but I can be a little less embarrassed since we stayed up.”

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

I don’t disagree with you as such or blame him for the goal but he did say himself right after the game it was a mistake and he misjudged his position. He said something like “I was embarrassed but I can be a little less embarrassed since we stayed up.”

because he was a top keeper and I would expect any top level keeper past or present to say the same. Truth is it was a freak deflection, only error for Reina was he wasnt tall enough

I don't quite get the 'saves' against Watford. He makes a mess of the initial shot, palming it in to the middle then throws himself at the follow up (the only genuine 'save' part) and then lets the bounce drop about 50cm in front of him and he has to claw that away with a flap that the defender then clears. I saw that live and didn't think 'good save' I thought 'you're lucky you got away with that!'. It wasn't confident keeping, it was desperate.

But that's a side point in the grand scheme. I still don't want him back for next season though, more negatives than positives for me. We need to move away from keeping players on because they're good for moral and get actually decent players we can rely on.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Â