Pepe Reina

Jareth

I think it’s great to see how happy he is, shows what a good group of players we have. 
I shudder to think how bad it was a few years ago with the likes of Lescott and Richards stinking the place out

• Like 2

I have loved having Pepe as part oft he club. His passion is contagious and he gives everything for the team. 

Yes, certainly not the best keeper at times, but hius xperience has been invaluable I think and I will miss him

44 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I was furious at him for the Leicester error it was needless.

However I can’t deny that he has made a valuable contribution to our survival post restart and I suspect that is as much off the pitch as on it.

His antics off the pitch in celebration suggest he has taken the club to heart in the short time he was with us and will therefore be favourably remembered in the due course of time.

Clearly no longer the keeper he once was but a great character who came with only the very best intentions to help us and did just that. He will leave with a bit of Villa in his blood and with our best wishes I’m sure.

Thanks Pepe.

Agreed. And like when JT came in as a player, sometimes you just need that real experience off the pitch as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

What a dude. 

I once had a massive drunken row with a mate who claimed La Bamba translated as The Goat.  I told him to stop being such an idiot and what a stupid song that would be.  Ended in a massive drunken row with loads of people telling me I was wrong. 

This was the early days of the Internet and I recall finding some evidence the next day when I fired up the dial up Internet so I had to apologise and eat humble pie.

However now I put La Bamba into Google translate it doesn't in any language come up with The Goat and I can't get any language to translate The Goat into La Bamba.

I'm now pissed off all over again. He emigrated to America about 20 years ago and I've no idea how to make contact again. 

As far as I remember goat in spanish is La Cabra

So I'm on your side

Was pretty slow for the goal even though it took big deflection.

I'd actually argue the loan was a big success despite the high profile error at Leicester.

Brighton- possibly could've done better for goal but made a good late save from Maupay to win a crucial point.

Watford- Made a double save at 1 down. This result looks pretty crucial now eh?

Bournemouth- Think he was at fault for one of the goals.

Spurs- MOTM. Didn't deserve to be on losing team.

Southampton- Caught upfield for second goal but all teams would stick the keeper up for corner in that situation and the second didn't relegate us thankfully.

Leicester- One to forget.

Liverpool-No chance with the goals.

Man. United- Again little he could do.

Compare this to Nyland v Sheffield United and also trying to set up Wolves strikers and it's a vast different in experience and mentality.

Very solid last 4 games so overall that's a pass and I'd be happy to keep him around for another 12 months if that's possible due to the regular injuries our first 2 get.

I think any criticism levelled at him today for their goal is misplaced. You can't account for a freak deflection like that.

I think the only complaint could be that he isn't 6 inches taller.

57 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He was a dependable back-up though I can see why Nylasnd was preferred the first few games after lockdown. Reina he got his head screwed on but he didnt make many saves but his experience definitely helped our defence get stronger last few games

Yeah you could understand him being dropped given the disaster of Leicester error (I think we'd have lost that anyway given we were hanging on at 0-0) but then Nyland completely played himself out of contention, not so much the Sheffield error but more throwing the ball straight to the Wolves player which must be the worst error I've ever seen from a keeper that wasn't punished by a goal.

I'll probably sum it up by saying with Reina's experience and quality it's still a surprise when he makes an error or dosen't get down to a saveable shot whereas Nyland can be having a solid game but you still panic when a routine shot or cross comes towards him.

Hopefully Heaton and Steer are both fit by middle of September and we can proceed with those two again.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think any criticism levelled at him today for their goal is misplaced. You can't account for a freak deflection like that.

I think the only complaint could be that he isn't 6 inches taller.

It's a tough one but ball was in air quite a long time and think he could've been quicker in taking a few more steps backwards to give him more chance of getting a stronger palm on the ball.

Thankfully it didn't cost us.

He actually said himself it was a mistake.

Been a great signing though IMO, and what a character. He probably improved the confidence of the back four ten fold with his presence, confidence and communication.

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

What a dude. 

I once had a massive drunken row with a mate who claimed La Bamba translated as The Goat.  I told him to stop being such an idiot and what a stupid song that would be.  Ended in a massive drunken row with loads of people telling me I was wrong. 

This was the early days of the Internet and I recall finding some evidence the next day when I fired up the dial up Internet so I had to apologise and eat humble pie.

However now I put La Bamba into Google translate it doesn't in any language come up with The Goat and I can't get any language to translate The Goat into La Bamba.

I'm now pissed off all over again. He emigrated to America about 20 years ago and I've no idea how to make contact again. 

You must not rest until he is found! 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

He’s not full on Di Canio is he?

22 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Not to stray too far from the point, but, what politics?

He had a social media post at some point before he joined in which he praised or expressed support for the far-right political party Vox, I remember that much.

Have to say I wasn't impressed by that at all, but he came in and did a job for us and on a professional level I'm grateful.

Â