Pepe Reina

Jareth

On 25/05/2020 at 13:04, nick76 said:

Wow that's depressing with his money if he has places in Italy, Spain and Liverpool and Liverpool is his choice to move to especially as he is Spanish.  I moved back from Sydney but that was because of family still living in the UK, not because of the city of Birmingham.

come one mate ! - Brum has some of finest roadworks in the world - lots of em too

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

come one mate ! - Brum has some of finest roadworks in the world - lots of em too

and potholes! I'm sure people have been lost in those potholes how bad and deep some are.

42 minutes ago, nick76 said:

True I guess, I loved Sydney and so glad I had the chance in my life to live there.  Probably was a brag but subconscious, but if it wasnt for my family I would be living in Sydney as Birmingham has very little to offer otherwise.  I think it was less of a brag and more of missing Sydney.  I can always go back because I have dual citizenship but I dont get why a foreigner from a beautiful place like Reina with all his money would chose Birmingham or Liverpool when they dont come from here.

Making the mistake that he's going to be living in a block of flats up Druids Heath just because it's Birmingham etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll start with the caveat that I missed the game on Saturday, and also acknowledge that he's had a couple of shockers, but I have so little faith in Nyland that he'd probably still be my number 1. 

12 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'll start with the caveat that I missed the game on Saturday, and also acknowledge that he's had a couple of shockers, but I have so little faith in Nyland that he'd probably still be my number 1. 

pretty sure you werent the only one to miss the game on Saturday ;)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2020 at 00:02, VillaChris said:

Thought he was great today, back ot the level he showed in his first few games.

Hopefully another commanding performance tonight like that against Everton.

Good to hear a goalkeeper commanding the area and barking instructions. We've not had that since the days of Brad Friedel.

On 25/05/2020 at 13:04, nick76 said:

Wow that's depressing with his money if he has places in Italy, Spain and Liverpool and Liverpool is his choice to move to especially as he is Spanish.  I moved back from Sydney but that was because of family still living in the UK, not because of the city of Birmingham.

I hate when people hate on Birmingham. Especially brummies.

It's a fine city. It's not the best, but it's one of the better ones in the UK certainly. And as others have said it's not like he'll be living in a council house, he'd have a mansion in the nicest place to live.

There's far far worse places to live as a footballer than Birmingham/The Midlands

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I hate when people hate on Birmingham. Especially brummies.

It's a fine city. It's not the best, but it's one of the better ones in the UK certainly. And as others have said it's not like he'll be living in a council house, he'd have a mansion in the nicest place to live.

There's far far worse places to live as a footballer than Birmingham/The Midlands

It's a dump mate.  I'm born and bred Brummie, lived in different places around the city and it's a dive.  I've been lucky to travel throughout my life and have lived abroad and I only come back to Birmingham for my family, friends and the Villa.  The hamlets, villages and towns outside of Birmingham are fantastic but the city itself is a dump and as the years go by it is getting worse.  Yes there are some small areas that are great and yes you can argue that it is better than a lot of cities in the UK but jeez you are clutching at straws.

As I said I only moved back here because of some family things going on otherwise I would be living elsewhere.   I'm no snob either, I'm from the back streets of Castle Brom and while I've been fortunate in my career, my friends here are the same and I'm a bit of a tight #$#@ but just being around Birmingham, the place just seems to get worse.  So I give you the Midlands but Birmingham itself I'm not agreeing with.

Edited by nick76

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It's a dump mate.  I'm born and bred Brummie, lived in different places around the city and it's a dive.  I've been lucky to travel throughout my life and have lived abroad and I only come back to Birmingham for my family, friends and the Villa.  The hamlets, villages and towns outside of Birmingham are fantastic but the city itself is a dump and as the years go by it is getting worse.

Similarly, I only go back to Birmingham for family, friends & Villa, but I disagree it's getting worse. Birmingham is one of the most forward-looking places in the world, and the new infrastructure of the trams and all around the new library etc., the rise of Digbeth as a national (even international) place of interest is really exciting to see.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It's a dump mate.  I'm born and bred Brummie, lived in different places around the city and it's a dive.  I've been lucky to travel throughout my life and have lived abroad and I only come back to Birmingham for my family, friends and the Villa.  The hamlets, villages and towns outside of Birmingham are fantastic but the city itself is a dump and as the years go by it is getting worse.  Yes there are some small areas that are great and yes you can argue that it is better than a lot of cities in the UK but jeez you are clutching at straws.

As I said I only moved back here because of some family things going on otherwise I would be living elsewhere.   I'm no snob either, I'm from the back streets of Castle Brom and while I've been fortunate in my career, my friends here are the same and I'm a bit of a tight #$#@ but just being around Birmingham, the place just seems to get worse.  So I give you the Midlands but Birmingham itself I'm not agreeing with.

It must be hard to be this wrong

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Similarly, I only go back to Birmingham for family, friends & Villa, but I disagree it's getting worse. Birmingham is one of the most forward-looking places in the world, and the new infrastructure of the trams and all around the new library etc., the rise of Digbeth as a national (even international) place of interest is really exciting to see.

It's spots though it's not throughout the city and the main city centre they are always going to try and keep that modern but the suburbs around the city centre are getting worse.....buildings, houses, streets just getting worse......I tried to see if it was just me but looking at some stats just googling (https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birminghams-decade-shocking-numbers-police-17487063) suggests it's not just in my head and even the stuff I cant see with my eyes is getting worse in Birmingham.

I love Birmingham, it is/was what made me and brought me up and where I live at the moment but I'm not blinded by or have rosy glasses of what it is or how it's getting worse.  I'm a very lucky because I wasnt born in a third world country, I was brought up in a 1st world country with a very loving family and friends but for foreign highly paid players from beautiful places I go back to my original point about Pepe Reina, why would they choose to live here when they didnt have to.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It must be hard to be this wrong

Each to their own.  In fact I am delighted that you are happy to live in Birmingham, it was where I was born and thus I'm proud that you love living here.  I guess if we were all the same then Birmingham would have 7 billion people living here and then we would have problems 🤣  I know what I like and have loved where I have seen and where I have lived elsewhere.  In my eyes Birmingham itself is not great but to you it is great, that's what makes opinions great.

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

I don't know if Birmingham is getting worse, but it's definitely a dreary shit hole.

Not in the centre and that centre is expanding too

As a day tripper brum is perfectly fine, it's no better or worse than any other major UK city that isn't London or Edinburgh 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Each to their own.  In fact I am delighted that you are happy to live in Birmingham, it was where I was born and thus I'm proud that you love living here.  I guess if we were all the same then Birmingham would have 7 billion people living here and then we would have problems 🤣  I know what I like and have loved where I have seen and where I have lived elsewhere.  In my eyes Birmingham itself is not great but to you it is great, that's what makes opinions great.

Nobody is saying it's the best place in the world. Don't exagerrate.

But neither is it a shit hole like you say it is. 

I can't believe that anyone would have spent any time in Birmingham City Centre lately and say it's getting worse. It's about a thousand times better than it was 20 years ago and it's getting better

Anyway, we're off topic. Fortunately Reina and our other players don't share your warped opinion of the city  ;) 

Edited by Stevo985

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Not in the centre and that centre is expanding too

As a day tripper brum is perfectly fine, it's no better or worse than any other major UK city that isn't London or Edinburgh 

but do you get outside of City Centre or Aston?  My point isnt the city centre it's the suburbs

Â