Pepe Reina

Jareth

I’ve always loved Birmingham, I’m from Telford and now live in Yorkshire, but I spent a lot of time working and playing in the city throughout the 90’s and 00’s. Some amazing clubs back in the day, the people were friendly and even Villa were good then. I go back to watch Villa, but also me and the wife have the odd weekend there with a hotel. It’s really come on in the last few years. 

Edit: Also, Reina will score the winner tonight with an over hit pass. 

Edited by It's Your Round
Didn’t notice this was the Reina thread.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

but do you get outside of City Centre or Aston?  My point isnt the city centre it's the suburbs

The bits that no one other than local brummie ever see... 

Footballers and tourists aren't walking round Handsworth on a nice summers evening, it's a stretch to suggest that anyone from brum would either 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Nobody is saying it's the best place in the world. Don't exagerrate.

But neither is it a shit hole like you say it is. 

I can't believe that anyone would have spent any time in Birmingham City Centre lately and say it's getting worse. It's about a thousand times better than it was 20 years ago and it's getting better

Anyway, we're off topic. Fortunately Reina and our other players don't share your warped opinion of the city  ;) 

Again, it's the suburbs as I said not the city centre, the place where people live.  

As for the players, yeah fair enough, they are probably at Ross McCormack's partying most of the time anyway 🤣

Just now, villa4europe said:

Footballers and tourists aren't walking round Handsworth on a nice summers evening, it's a stretch to suggest that anyone from brum would either 

They'd be around 4 oaks, little Aston, Solihull, Hampton in Arden etc etc etc. Unless of course they want to go to the Kebab House in Alum Rock. However I remember bumping into Kachloul and Hadji on Stratford road in an Arab restaurant. Kachloul even quipped this is like home.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I didnt say they would, we went off topic that Birmingham had gone down hill and I said the suburbs.....we had gone a little off topic and talking generally about Birmingham and not the original point about Reina.

The bit in bold, arent you validating my point about Birmingham getting worse over the decades.........

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

They'd be around 4 oaks, little Aston, Solihull, Hampton in Arden etc etc etc. Unless of course they want to go to the Kebab House in Alum Rock. However I remember bumping into Kachloul and Hadji on Stratford road in an Arab restaurant. Kachloul even quipped this is like home.

I bumped in to them in spearmint rhino with Richard Shaw from cov

Hadji was sound, kachloul wasn't happy I'd spotted him 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I bumped in to them in spearmint rhino with Richard Shaw from cov

Hadji was sound, kachloul wasn't happy I'd spotted him 

Hadji was a genuinely nice bloke. Kachloul came across as a knob. He also was the 'leader' of the group there was a couple of other Arab players in England at that time and he was always the gobby one. Think it was Chippo (?).

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

but do you get outside of City Centre or Aston?  My point isnt the city centre it's the suburbs

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

the city itself is a dump and as the years go by it is getting worse. 

🤔

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You could be talking about any city in the world tbh if your criteria is the suburbs! The area around Goodison/Anfield is probably worse than Aston and they have no problem attracting top quality internationals. Also argument is a bit defeated by all the quality Wolves have signed in last three years, think a few of them live in Tettenhall Wood by their training ground.

Would assume it's a real mix where our players live, Young used to live by Stourbridge didn't he, Grealish incident the other month suggests he lives by Solihull. A good friend of mine grew up on New Hall estate by Sutton and Marcus Allback lived a few doors down, Vassell lived just off Penns Lane in Walmley where I grew up. Under MON half our squad lived in Cheshire/London. Wesley was living in the Hyatt still when he got injured I think.

Forgot to say likes of Merson and Kevin Phillips actually became midlands based after joining us.

Brum city centre is slowly improving. Will be nice when it's finally all finished in 20 years...

Edited by VillaChris

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Again, it's the suburbs as I said not the city centre, the place where people live.  

Some of the suburbs are shit. Some of them are lovely. Like any other city in the world.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Young used to live by Stourbridge didn't he

Yeah bumped in to him too at oldswinford tesco petrol station (big range rover I think) 

It was 2 days after the peace Cup win and I'd been out there, talked to him about his diving header goal which is still one of the best villa goals I've ever seen, great team move

His kiss on the ball after off the post bounce was an absolute lovely thing to do, he has an heck of personality and I've always liked the guy, does make me giggle from time to time.

Just a fantastic all around keeper who can be there for his team at moments when you think darn that's gonna go in.

On 21/07/2020 at 14:32, nick76 said:

You know the difference between city and city centre?

Do you know the difference between a nice big city suburb and a shit big city suburb. 

Brum no different to other big cities. 

Check out Harborne, Edgbaston (most of it), Bohemian Moseley, up and coming Kings Heath and now Stirchley but with bit of Stirchley edge. The green swathes of Hall Green and Acocks Green as typical of middle class British Suburbia as you can get. Parts of Kings Norton are beautiful. Sutton Coldfield.  Digbeth, amazing place. 

I've been to parts of London, Manchester and Liverpool as bad as anywhere in Brum.  Don't know why you've got beef but to say it's more of a shit hole than and other big UK city is plain wrong.

I was in Madrid last year and found myself in part of the City Centre which felt like Dale End on the downturn. 

The biggest shock I've had in a while was in a place I went before Chelsea away. A local took us to a Turkish restaurant. It was great but despite being in easy walking distance of the Ground therefore Chelsea, the whole area looked very run down and the pub we went to was awful. It felt very much like walking through Sparkhill or somewhere.  I was expecting anywhere near there to be palatial. I mean how much must a flat cost round there? 

Edited by sidcow

Â