Pepe Reina

Jareth

Why Nyland has been dropped is beyond me. Has done well when he has played this season. Reina has always had a mistake in him for as long as i can remember. Last night was one of the stupidest things I've seen a keeper do since Fabian Barthez.

I don’t rate Reina at all, Nyland has looked good for me in the games he’s played (aside from Man City)

His distribution is either fantastic, or bordering on farcical. He plays balls to players as though they are a top 4 player who can play out from the back with ease, our players can’t do that.

His decision to come out for the ball last night was one of the worst Villa goalkeeping errors I’ve seen in years.

Bring Nyland back for the remainder of the season now.

• Like 1

Still a good keeper but you can't be tolerating mistakes like that if they're happening regularly.

Said it before, doesn't matter how well you play as a keeper, if you're regularly dropping clangers then it's pointless.

I think he'll keep his place to be fair, but he's not performing as we'd hoped.

Play nyland, nyland will be here in the championship next season and will be ok. Along with Heaton and steer. Good, solid set of keepers for a championship season. Get rid of Reina, he's not needed. 

• Like 2

I don't think Smith has a clue what to do so he will look at would pep do?

his keeper made a couple of howlers at the weekend....will he stick with?

before he made his blooper he booted one out of play from a goal kick and guardiola gave his a look that would stop switzerland.

man city play arsenal tomorrow will be very interesting to see.

The other factor is does Reina have a clause to make sure he plays every game when fit? He intimated something along those lines when he arrived from AC Milan.

there could be an element of battle of the egos between mings and reina. they don't see to have any understanding at all

19 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Poor against Soton with kicking  , poor last night including a piss poor attempt to wind up Vardy for the pen 

Nyland back in for me now 

Vardy is the last player you want wind up, he thrives on getting stick. Reina is way out of his depth in a battle of wits with Vardy.

• 2 weeks later...

:(

Aston Villa goalkeeper Pepe Reina believes he has contracted coronavirus after displaying symptoms of the disease last week. 

The Spaniard has not undergone testing but admitted that he had “gone through the bug” and had already been self-isolating prior to Monday’s lockdown measures being introduced by Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

“Last week it was my turn to go through the bug,’ the former Liverpool player told radio station Cope. “It has been a different week, of taking precautions not to infect the people who live with me.

“Here tests are not conducted unless you are [in a] very bad [state]. Speaking to the doctors, the symptoms I had were of it, without official confirmation of it but everything pointed to it.

“We are very privileged people. We have a big house, with a garden. I think of the people who live in a 70m squared apartment with two children and for me they are people who are showing a lot of strength.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/coronavirus-pepe-reina-aston-villa-symptoms-Premier League-postponed-a9421306.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/pepe-reina-details-coronavirus-battle-21789272

Reina insists he won't be upset if the top-flight doesn't finish either with the pandemic still yet to reach its peak in the UK.

“Football takes a back seat. I don’t care much, really,” he added. 

“Everyone’s well-being goes above anything else.

“I will be a supporter of playing when everything is in the best conditions, that everyone is safe.

“Football cannot be a priority right now. It is not important to finish this league.

'For 25 minutes I ran out of oxygen': Pepe Reina on battling coronavirus

• Aston Villa keeper recalls ‘endless minutes of fear’
  • Reina in ‘worst moments of my life’
  • The Aston Villa goalkeeper Pepe Reina has revealed he endured “endless minutes of fear” after contracting coronavirus symptoms that left him unable to breathe. The 37-year-old said he was on the mend after “the worst moments of my life”.

Reina, on loan at Villa from Napoli, told Corriere dello Sport: “It is only now that I am winning the battle against coronavirus.” He began to feel unwell nearly two weeks ago.

“I was very tired after experiencing the first symptoms of the virus,” he said. “A fever, dry cough and a headache that never went away. It was just that constant feeling of tiredness.

“The most difficult moment was when I could no longer breathe, the 25 minutes I ran out of oxygen. It was the worst moments of my life.

“The only real fear I had was when I understood there was no oxygen: endless minutes of fear, as if suddenly my throat had closed. As a result I spent the first six or eight days indoors.”

He said staying at home, at least, was not a chore. “I don’t miss the company as it’s me, my wife Yolanda, five children and two in-laws. The house is big and loneliness has no access to my home.”

Last week, when he first announced he suspected he had caught the virus, he said: “We are very privileged people. We have a big house, with a garden. I think of the people who live in a 70 sq m apartment with two children and for me they are people who are showing a lot of strength.”

The Premier League has been suspended since 13 March and Reina has previously said it was “crazy” not to have stopped matches sooner.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/31/pepe-reina-coronavirus-ran-out-of-oxygen-fear-aston-villa

• Sad 1

Â