Pepe Reina

Jareth

I don't really see that he had a terrible game but I do think his inclusion has been counter-productive in some respects. I know he made a couple of poor passes yesterday but on the whole his passing skills are pretty amazing for a keeper. Herein lies the problem. He's playing it out so much to a bunch of defenders that just aren't comfortable on the ball and we're consequently playing ourselves into trouble more often than not. Add to that the fact the defence are more involved in starting attacks than they were previously they are mentally and physically more tired. This may be taking its toll in key defensive moments.

Whilst I'm all in favour of the manner in which Reina and Smith want us to play, the reality of our ability to execute this should have hit home by now. Reina could still be using his feet effectively but perhaps sending it longer more. Would definitely look to move to a 4-2-3-1 and start the attacks higher up the pitch. Being more compact in the middle would hopefully also stop the regularity of our attacks resulting in shots at our goal for the opposition.

• Like 1

Some of his distribution yesterday was a joke.  Totally failing to release the ball for some easy outlets then playing it short to people under pressure and then kicking it straight out. 

5 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

I must admit I missed big chunks of the first half due to a dodgy internet connection. 

So what's the consensus then? Nyland back in?

Made some great saves to keep uus in the game, but a couple of the chances that they had in the first place were directly due to him in the first place.

Doubt there's any consensus on Nyland or Reina on here. Nyland showed that he can have insane games but is prone to howlers. Reina has arguuably better distribution and is the more consistent keeper. I think either choice is fine tbh but I think Smith will go for Reina.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

From what we've seen so far this season, Nyland seems to have cut out the howlers. The trouble is that he's also clearly been encouraged to play out from the back and does so in a lot less decisive manner than Reina. Definitely the better shot stopper though.

Problem is Hause is a nightmare with the ball at his feet and Mings seems to dally way too much.

On the wing the only outlet is Grealish who is double-marked which means we are out of options and hence invite too much pressure. 

Oh and we're too **** to even play this way!

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

15 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Problem is Hause is a nightmare with the ball at his feet and Mings seems to dally way too much.

On the wing the only outlet is Grealish who is double-marked which means we are out of options and hence invite too much pressure. 

Oh and we're too **** to even play this way!

Be safer to launch it to Samatta and actively have attacking midfielders/wing-backs both anticipating the flick on and Nakamba/Luiz/Drinkwater holding in-case of losing it. Playing it out from the back all the time might look pretty but we've given away so many goals/chances trying to over-play/not accepting our limitations. 

• Like 1

On 23/02/2020 at 20:22, chips'ngravy said:

From what we've seen so far this season, Nyland seems to have cut out the howlers. The trouble is that he's also clearly been encouraged to play out from the back and does so in a lot less decisive manner than Reina. Definitely the better shot stopper though.

Very small sample size to be fair. Nyland only played 4-5 games

• 2 weeks later...
Â