Pepe Reina

Jareth

Was at the game today and it looked like he could’ve done better for the goals.
Spoke to a mate who watched it on a stream and he confirmed he was poor today.

Nyland deserves to start against Spuds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

We can't keep chopping and changing keepers every time they have a bad game.

Think this is true of the GK position above all others. I could make a case for the keeper to be Reina or Nyland but if we keep changing it we won’t get any consistency. Have to have a number one.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm concerns by his spills and inability to hold onto to shots.

Great at passing and distribution, quite a good shot stopper.

Unpopular opinion but I can;t help but feel Nyland in recent form would have kept out or prevented at least one of the chances we conceded.

I agree cost us a point today. Elementary mistake for the 2nd goal.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm concerned by his spills and inability to hold onto to shots.

Great at passing and distribution, quite a good shot stopper.

Unpopular opinion but I can;t help but feel Nyland in recent form would have kept out or prevented at least one of the chances we conceded.

He's always had this problem even back 10 years ago. He has many attritbutes which are way ahead of other goalkeepers as you mention in your second sentence but holding shots was never one.

For me he is ahead of Nyland though.

• Like 2

Mistakes are allowed.

For me, dropping Reina for doing something poorly is as bad an idea as selecting Nyland for doing something well.

Theres a lot more to it, and I’d trust the Coaches, and the respective overall records of the 2 keepers before even considering a change.

Persistent errors, fine, that’s another matter, though with 13 games to go I expect that’d be more relevant to next seasons selections than this.

On 01/02/2020 at 21:51, villalad21 said:

We can't keep chopping and changing keepers every time they have a bad game.

Reina still starts imo

I agree.

Reina is still the better keeper. We need some consistency.

38 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He was signed to be the number 1 keeper. You don't throw that away the first time he makes an error

Error for goal  v Brighton

Error v Watford , though redeemed with a great save \ Deeney being shit

2 errors for 2 goals v Bournemouth

there is a pattern emerging  that suggests he is past his best

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Nyland had a poor game against Man City. Very poor.

He got beaten to his near post twice. Twice.

Reina has always had the odd blooper in him I remember a mersey side derby he fluffed. however you don't get many that many honours in world football if youre crap. he's Reina not Andy Dibble.

Punching stuff out is what he's always done. The defenders need to be on high alert to get to the 2nd ball.  Nyland likes to catch the ball like a 1980s keeper but for me the gloves are pepe's and that includes the final.

• Like 1

Yeah, Reina should stay. But he's spot is definitely not fixed. If he continuues to look shaky, Nyland can and should come in. People point out the Man City game but ignore the fact that he's been solid if not amazing in every other game he's played for us so far. He's done enough to show he can come in if need be.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

21 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

He's always had this problem even back 10 years ago. He has many attritbutes which are way ahead of other goalkeepers as you mention in your second sentence but holding shots was never one.

For me he is ahead of Nyland though.

Yeah my mate as a Liverpool supporter said he is a great keeper but has a mistake in him.

Problem is in our predicament, these count for double!

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

He clearly is past his bet but his a short term solution. 

I don't think he's as good as Heaton but I think it would be an error to just drop him now. 

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He was signed to be the number 1 keeper. You don't throw that away the first time he makes an error

This.

Last week he was the bees knees. He has one bad game and everyone wants to drop him for a guy who has had one good game in his Villa career. Ridiculous. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jim said:

This.

Last week he was the bees knees. He has one bad game and everyone wants to drop him for a guy who has had one good game in his Villa career. Ridiculous. 

Nyland has had multiple good games since he came back, and one bad game where you can argue Drinkwater made numerous errors that led to easy shots for man city.

Â