Tom13

47 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

They're not a big club in anyway. They were successful about 40 years ago maybe? In my entire life time they've had one competent season and that was 20 years and they got relegated immediately after.

Oh come on! Give them some credit!

Sure… they aren’t a footballing superpower like Villa, Bayern Munich, Juventus or Gillingham,

but they aren’t exactly The Dog and Duck or Birmingham City either!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

It's possible that Barry is a special talent AND isn't ready yet for men's football. There's an obsession on here sometimes with being the first to call something. It'll be a couple of years before we know what his level is, but he's obviously a very gifted footballer.

Hard to see what he's getting out of this loan move, though. Time to bring him back?

He is probably maturing though. Living alone and being in an adult dressing room will do him good. He will know not to take football for granted 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is probably maturing though. Living alone and being in an adult dressing room will do him good. He will know not to take football for granted 

Hopefully you're right, but he'd be getting a lot more out of it if he at least had the odd run out off the bench. I'm surprised he isn't being used as an impact sub.

55 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Oh come on! Give them some credit!

Sure… they aren’t a footballing superpower like Villa, Bayern Munich, Juventus or Gillingham,

but they aren’t exactly The Dog and Duck or Birmingham City either!

they'll never compare to Gillingham this much is certain

17 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

must mean he was sh*te all along and won't make it for Villa...

Literally no one has implied this. lol

As usual, maybe it's just a question in the middle, is he the stupendous prodigy he has been hyped up to be?

None of us know at this point either way.

The experience will probably do him good.

As you mention,  Archer is a good example, before this season, all i'd ever seen was his name on a reserve sheet every now and then.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Apparently Cook was sacked so Lee Johnson will come in. Definitely recall Barry now 

He's still at Sunderland isn't he although was having a go at the crowd after their draw today so might not have long left.

Loan hasn't worked out so unless next manager really rates him (or it's Mark Delaney) then best to put him out to league 2 club and hopefully he'll at least play regularly.

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

He's still at Sunderland isn't he although was having a go at the crowd after their draw today so might not have long left.

Loan hasn't worked out so unless next manager really rates him (or it's Mark Delaney) then best to put him out to league 2 club and hopefully he'll at least play regularly.

Ipswich fans been saying The owner is Lee Johnson mate and waiting for him to take the job 

Me would be wary of sending him back out on loan, I think it would be difficult to expect to him to go from playing hardly any football at all and to then expect him to be able to go to another club with so little match practice and make an impact also bear in mind he'd have to go through the whole thing of settling into a new area again.

Maybe if we could call him back early January give him some games with the U23s as preperation for joining up with a new club then that would help, but I'd be tempted to just keep him with us and let him play the rest of the season with our U23s, help them make a push for the play-offs, he's still very young, and plenty of time for him to go on loan in future seasons, was kind of surprised we sent him out on loan this season, same with Seb Revan.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, useless said:

Me would be wary of sending him back out on loan, I think it would be difficult to expect to him to go from playing hardly any football at all and to then expect him to be able to go to another club with so little match practice and make an impact also bear in mind he'd have to go through the whole thing of settling into a new area again.

Maybe if we could call him back early January give him some games with the U23s as preperation for joining up with a new club then that would help, but I'd be tempted to just keep him with us and let him play the rest of the season with our U23s, help them make a push for the play-offs, he's still very young, and plenty of time for him to go on loan in future seasons, was kind of surprised we sent him out on loan this season, same with Seb Revan.

I agree with this, the more I think about it the more I think another loan straight away might break the kid if it goes badly. Current feeling is get him back and scoring for us, build his confidence back up again, and go again next season with a better move.

Why would we take him down a level? He has done nothing wrong and played very well. We should look at Championship loans or other League one clubs that are less in crisis.

I am just happy he is coming home. What a disaster Paul Cook made of Ipswich (on the heels of Lambert as well) you have to feel for their fans. Glad our player is getting clear.

5 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Why would we take him down a level? He has done nothing wrong and played very well. We should look at Championship loans or other League one clubs that are less in crisis.

I am just happy he is coming home. What a disaster Paul Cook made of Ipswich (on the heels of Lambert as well) you have to feel for their fans. Glad our player is getting clear.

He didn't play very well by most accounts and didn't get a lot of minutes. A championship club probably wouldn't take him and he already wasn't getting a game at a midtable League 1 side, dropping a league gets him minutes.

But I agree with other posters. There's no preseason now, there's no bedding in. Most Jan transfers are there to rescue a season when they are for attackers. Not convinced that's the right environment to throw him into. But tough to say to him to just write the entire year off. Getting back on the horse might be best for him

Â