Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

You can see he's OK but incredibly unfit.

If he can't play in the cup, the U23s have a game next Wednesday. I'd be putting him through sprints on and off all week and getting him on that pitch for 90 mins.

He is definitely more tactically switched on than Doug. He reads the game better, even if he can't get around to act on it! I think he might start again at Bournemouth.

Damning of Lansbury and Hourihane he's in ahead of them when he's so unfit. I'm not convinced he's got much more ability than either of them but he's got a pair of bollocks getting on the ball and playing it.

I found him frustrating at times as you can see the calmness he brings but is just not fit and killed a number of attacks from just not being sharp enough to pick up the ball or continue the attack. I think if we can get him fit and potentially get a long term deal on the cheap it could be worth the time investment.

He's clearly building up fitness and is somewhat rusty but when fit I'd have no concerns about him starting alongside nakamba for a couple of simple reasons. He's been in a relegation scrap before and brings another voice to help organise those who are new to the battle and league.

This is what we need to compete in games, with the technically more gifted players (luiz) coming in once the game has progressed to a point they'll get the time and space to have an impact. Not rocket science, almost common sense and gives me confidence that we're starting to truly find our feet in this league. He's our midfield Mings..,just not quite match fit, yet...

He was half decent, a physical presence in the team and has that sneaky side, doing the old fashion wipe a tricky player out early on to let them know you are there, commanding the players around him.

He is no Patrick viera but he is getting up to speed and has the discipline that afforded nakamba to play which brought the best out of him.

Changing my mind on him from being a risk too far and most likely past  it to someone who could actually be a starter each game and key to others playing to their potential more consistently.

Just now, brummybloke said:

He was half decent, a physical presence in the team and has that sneaky side, doing the old fashion wipe a tricky player out early on to let them know you are there, commanding the players around him.

He is no Patrick viera but he is getting up to speed and has the discipline that afforded nakamba to play which brought the best out of him.

Changing my mind on him from being a risk too far and most likely past  it to someone who could actually be a starter each game and key to others playing to their potential more consistently.

They look more like mistimed tackles because of how much he lacks sharpness. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They look more like mistimed tackles because of how much he lacks sharpness. 

Thought I read that he told fred to take out maupay early on, fred didn't so he took out a player (and got booked) against brighton ?

Edited by brummybloke

Are people really slating water after last night's game, are you absoloute bonkers people. He really played good first half, had alot of involvement in the attacks, shot a few, got in good positioning and even broke down Watford attacks.

Sure second half wasn't to be for him, I just think that's down to fitness and that's ok, because we got damn won the game from the substitutes we had made.

• Thanks 1

Just now, brummybloke said:

Thought I read that he told fred to take out maupa early on, fred didn't so he took out a player (and got booked) against brighton ?

He did take out a player but that was definitely a mistimed challenge. It was like me at 5 aside trying to tackle one of the younger players.  My head thinks I can win the ball but my body seems to move in slow motion. 

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

Are people really slating water after last night's game, are you absoloute bonkers people. He really played good first half, had alot of involvement in the attacks, shot a few, got in good positioning and even broke down Watford attacks.

Sure second half wasn't to be for him, I just think that's down to fitness and that's ok, because we got damn won the game from the substitutes we had made.

I thought he looked off the pace personally. But it probably didn’t help that we had 2 defensive midfields and a back 3 yet were trying to break through 9 men behind the ball.  It was always going to be difficult for him. 

• Like 1

Â