Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

3 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

Of course he can come good.

Why are some so quick to write players off?

This guy was a key part in a Premier League winning team just three years ago and is still only 28.

He May not be the answer for us that true.But give him chance to stake his claim.

Pedant alert. He is 29 and turns 30 in six weeks (March 5th).

I suspect that by the end of the season he will be looking good, the problem is we don’t have the time to get him match fit. It’d be typical Villa for him to start playing brilliantly just after we’ve been relegated 

• Like 1

Regardless of being up to match fitness, done no worse so far than a fully fit Luiz! 

Doug made a decent appearance though so hopefully a little sit on the bench has focused his mind. A good point away from home with a new striker in the way so something to be happy about! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, djdabush said:

I suspect that by the end of the season he will be looking good, the problem is we don’t have the time to get him match fit. It’d be typical Villa for him to start playing brilliantly just after we’ve been relegated 

I really want him to succeed but I think it would have worked better if he got the last 30 minutes of games until he got up to speed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Whether we should be patient with him or not, did anyone actually bother going to watch him before we signed him on loan? Has he been playing reserve games or anything that some of our scouts could have been checking out? Otherwise it seems we have signed a player soley based on reputation from years ago.

He's so so far off the pace I have to assume it is pure negligence from the powers that be that we've signed him on LOAN as the absolute best case scenario is he's finally up to speed by the time we're already relegated.

Clearly nowhere near ready, I'd be playing every one of our midfielders ahead of him and I think most of those are limited at best. In fact, I'm trying to work out if McGinn would still be fitter as of today...

Such a weird signing.

Terry is all over his Instagram so guessing it was something to do with him.

2 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Another dud signing from Suso. Should be used to it by now. 

Not necessarily a dud signing but putting him straight into the first XI when it must have been obvious how far he was off the pace was pretty crazy. Also doing the same thing next match, in a 6-pointer, is probably a criminal offence.

Wonder if he will start Tuesday?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I’m not sure it’s that classy of us to be throwing the word “alcoholic” around as an insult in this thread.

Fair enough and I’m sorry.

I don’t think this was a smart signing though. It’s like we’ve learnt nothing from the last paycheque chancers of the past. 

• Like 1

I thought Drinkwater had a good shift yesturday. he put in an early reducer on maupay which seemed to keep him quiet for the rest of the match. and generally put himself about winning a few tackles. 

whihch is more than hourihane and luiz can do.

Drink water definatly has a bit of swagger about him. he struts about like a bloke who has won the league, he doesn't care people think he's crap. The same with REina picking the ball up one handed like a boss. This is why we signed them. If you look at konsa and hause they are nervous wrecks they look like they are scared to death. They should be out on loan if we had a clue.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

I thought Drinkwater had a good shift yesturday. he put in an early reducer on maupay which seemed to keep him quiet for the rest of the match. and generally put himself about winning a few tackles. 

Drink water definatly has a bit of swagger about him. he struts about like a bloke who has won the league, he doesn't care people think he's crap. The same with REina picking the ball up one handed like a boss. This is why we signed them. If you look at konsa and hause they are nervous wrecks they look like they are scared to death. They should be out on loan if we had a clue.

Classic Screwdriver.

1 hour ago, screwdriver said:

Maupay got man of the match on bbc football’s website, I don’t think you have a clue 

• Haha 1

was at the game. had a crap veiw but I didn't notice maupay do anything after he was clattered by "the drink" ... The dreadlocked left wing back got man of the match in the stadium.

I wouldn't trust the bbc to tell the truth about anything let alone football.  Brighton got all  of their chances through Konsa and Hause thinking they were frannz beckenbauer rather than exceptional play by maupay. He was distinctly average.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

was at the game. had a crap veiw but I didn't notice maupay do anything after he was clattered by "the drink" ... The dreadlocked left wing back got man of the match in the stadium.

I wouldn't trust the bbc to tell the truth about anything let alone football.  Brighton got all  of their chances through Konsa and Hause thinking they were frannz beckenbauer rather than exceptional play by maupay. He was distinctly average.

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, Spoony said:

Fair enough and I’m sorry.

I don’t think this was a smart signing though. It’s like we’ve learnt nothing from the last paycheque chancers of the past. 

I don’t think Drinkwater is a paycheque chancer. Quite the opposite in fact. The story is that he was gutted about how things turned out at Chelsea and has been constantly looking for clubs where he can get regular minutes. He has sacked the agent who negotiated his move to Chelsea.

The fact he likes a drink and has got in trouble on a night out hardly makes him an alcoholic. The drink driving incident sounded like stupidity rather than an obvious sign of an out of control boozer.

And he is ripped, which is pretty hard to maintain with a drink problem, but clearly he’s lacking a bit of mileage in his legs. Some players need the intensity of competitive matches to hit peak fitness.

He hasn’t looked great so far, but he hasn’t cost us any points, and I think this could still turn out to be a good bit of business.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I don’t think Drinkwater is a paycheque chancer. Quite the opposite in fact. The story is that he was gutted about how things turned out at Chelsea and has been constantly looking for clubs where he can get regular minutes. He has sacked the agent who negotiated his move to Chelsea.

The fact he likes a drink and has got in trouble on a night out hardly makes him an alcoholic. The drink driving incident sounded like stupidity rather than an obvious sign of an out of control boozer.

And he is ripped, which is pretty hard to maintain with a drink problem, but clearly he’s lacking a bit of mileage in his legs. Some players need the intensity of competitive matches to hit peak fitness.

He hasn’t looked great so far, but he hasn’t cost us any points, and I think this could still turn out to be a good bit of business.

Then the question has to be asked, if he still had the drive to play games, why did he barely get any game time at Burnley? Is he just not any good anymore then? Its not as if Burnley have a stacked midfield.

He was also drunk when he went after the girl, causing him to get beat up outside the nightclub. Is it a coincidence that the incidents he's been involved in all involve him being drunk? Maybe, but I don't think its quite likely.

I'm also having doubts on the idea that he really is that unfit. He was on the Burnley bench since November, so he must've been fit enough for Dyche to think he could at least play a part since. Hell, he even started a game back in early December for them. He would never start for them again, but he has to have been training and gaining fitness in all that time. I'm starting to think him not being match fit is an excuse tbh. 

He hasn't cost us any points is an extremely favourable way to look at it and I'm not entirely sure that's true. He directly contributed to us conceding several goals to Man City, whilst yes we would've probably lost that game anyway I don't think that should be used as an excuse in any way. A mistake is a mistake, if your mistake causes your team to lose the game or is meaningless in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it should excuse the mistake. And whilst he wasn't directly culpable for anything in the Brighton game, he was generally useless in that midfield and we have no idea how things could've gone if he wasn't in the match. Perhaps we could've won it if Luiz had started the game, who knows, the point is we don't really know at all whether he hasn't actually cost us any points during the match.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

Â